1 More Mile - 2012 Edition (Read 1450 times)

In 2010, I disappointed myself with this:

I am now attempting the 1 More Mile challenge again (started on March 01) and this time I plan on getting every day of the month. When I got laid off back in December, it took all of about 3 days for my friends to try talking me into running it again. So...as with 2010, I'm raising money for Camp Sunshine by running 1 more mile every day (1 on the first, 2 on the second, 3 on the third, up to 31 on the 31st.)

You can follow my progress here if you're interested: 1MoreMileForSunshine.com

I'll be giving away various prizes throughout the month - this week's prize is a copy of a new book that I just published this week called My Name is Big. It was written by Lazarus Lake (race director for Vol State and the Barkley Marathons) and documents the life of a pitbull that he found abandoned and shot near his farm. Entering the contest to win is easy - just leave a comment on the daily updates through tomorrow (Days 1-4, Thursday through Sunday.) Not sure what next week's prize will be yet - probably a set of Ice Spikes.

When I started planning on doing this challenge again, I figured I'd still be unemployed in March. However, I did find a job I was interested in doing, and managed to get it, so I'll still have to balance working and running at the end of the month. This time, however, I'll be working for somebody that understands that some things are important, and was okay with me working part time the first month to make it a little easier to get the mileage in. Couple that with the new book hitting a few of the Amazon best seller lists and it's been a good start to the month already!

Run to Win
    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Stupid work getting in the way of life.

This is a cool challenge. Do you have treadmill access? I assume you plan on splitting up runs in the later days, that is going to take some serious time dedication, not to mention stamina. Kudos to you and good vibes!

I will be splitting the runs up later in the month, but no treadmill access.

We have a treadmill, but the belt started to slip back in December 2009 (right before I tried doing this the first time) and my wife didn't tell me until after it was shredded. The treadmill isn't worth the money it would take to fix it, so I didn't have access then.  I did wind up getting a free membership to a local gym and used their treadmill a few times, but I haven't run on a treadmill since then and with the ability to get outdoors during the day time this time I don't think I'll need it.

Run to Win

Good luck to you.  That is certainly a big goal.  I was hoping to do an easier 1 more mile per week challenge starting at 20 miles and going to 50 but I only lasted about 4 weeks.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Running is stupid

(Go R2W!!!)

HermosaBoy

Best of luck to you Blaine!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

That comes to 496 miles in a month.

Would help with the mileage log that is for sure.

Good luck you crazy runner! I will follow your blog!

Good luck Run2Win! 

Feeling the growl again

Be sure to check in the last 8-9 days, that's when things are going to get interesting...

Good luck!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

jfa

Go get it Blaine!

bhearn

Doubles? Wimp.

Doubles? Wimp.

Heh, maybe.

No doubles so far... Cool

Run to Win

You don't learn and pick a month with 30 days do you? Big grin

Good luck with this pursuit, will be rooting for you.

HermosaBoy

Doubles? Wimp.

Triples? Quads?

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

bhearn

You don't learn and pick a month with 30 days do you? Big grin 

The trick would be to find a month with a marathon on the 26th and a 50K on the 31st, but that would be tough. Boston is on a Monday, but I don't think Patriot's Day is ever as late as the 26th.