groin injury (Read 433 times)

Sylvie D.

I pulled my right groin muscle at a preseason soccer camp. I iced/heated it for a couple days and it was feeling better, so I started to run again. Unfortunately the pain came back after doing so. I stopped running and have just been going for walks. Tryouts start in a couple days though, so Im going to have to run through it, but how long do these injuries usually take to heal and is there anything special I can do to help it before, during and after exercising?

Prince of Fatness

I severely tore my groin a couple of years ago. It was pretty bad .... There was bruising showing down past the inside of my knee. Initially going for a brisk walk hurt. Anyway, I started out just walking, then at about 4 - 5 weeks I was biking. After 6 weeks I was running again with no problems. The doctor did not put any restrictions on what I could do other than to say, "Stop if it hurts". It also depends on what kind of running you'll be doing. If you are doing a lot of cutting, lateral movement, etc., that may aggravate things.

Not at it at all. 

Depends on severity. I've pulled my groin/hip flexor a few times. The price of playing hockey I guess. It's very easy to re-aggravate it if you don't allow it sufficient time to heal. I did find, however, that I was ale to run well before I was ready to play hockey. Do the usual remedies: ice, heat, rest. Gentle stretching when you can do so without pain. Go slow or you'll just keep re-injuring it, possibly more severely.