Elevation gain/loss (Read 283 times)

Ari D

Is there a way to track elevation gain and loss, just like pace, time, and distance?

I know that the map will display elevation gain/loss.

Is there a way to track it so it can be measured and graphed on a weekly/monthly basis, just like pace, time and distance?

And, is there a way to enter the elevation into the summary manually, without drawing a map?

Thanks!

mr-fish

Sorry for an unhelpful "me too" response..., but I too would be very interested in this.

(At least until I see how my stats pale in comparison to my friends running in the mountains...)

Is there a way to track elevation gain and loss, just like pace, time, and distance?

Is there a way to track it so it can be measured and graphed on a weekly/monthly basis, just like pace, time and distance?

It is kind pointless as the elevation is way off even with the correction.  I did hill repeats yesterday and RA reports 1670 vs 1000 ft on garmin connect.

It is kind pointless as the elevation is way off even with the correction.  I did hill repeats yesterday and RA reports 1670 vs 1000 ft on garmin connect.

It depends a lot on gps being used as well as accuracy of underlying map data. For the mountains, I've found my data reasonably useful, but that's confirmed with contour lines or bench marks. Rolling hills, my data may be about 10ish% high, depending on the day and whether rollers or bigger ones. But 600 vs 700ft gain in a 1.2 hr run doesn't make a lot of difference when doing 5000+ft vertical in a week. (some do 5,000-10,000ft in a day)   (My old FR305 used to manufacture hills and provide 500ft of uphill on an abandoned rr, and 1500ft on rollers that should be closer to 500ft.)

I think it would be nice if elevation were a field in the summary information, something you can hand enter or override if necessary. I've used it in my own data for 10+ yrs and one of the reasons I use ST for my main downloads.

I'm not sure that amount of climb is that important for someone training for typical road race, but it's a major part of volume for those running hilly trails.

And there's lots of other parameters that might be useful to people. Where do you stop?

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
          npaden

Mark me down as someone who would like to see elevation gain as a measured and tracked stat.

This past week I was in Montana and ended up with 10,000+ feet of elevation gain including 5,000' in one 16 mile hike, and that was a lot different than if I had put in the same miles here in Texas where I live.  Would be interesting to at least be able to generate a report to see those numbers.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

There is a growing interest in trail running, it would be desirable to add a summary for the elevation gain.

And, is there a way to enter the elevation into the summary manually, without drawing a map?

Thanks!

Bump

Would be nice to be able to enter and track "elevation gain" for treadmill workouts.

gdskelly

Late Starter

Add me as one whom would like to track elev. gain in RA. Currently I have been keeping track in a spreadsheet, works fine but is just separate and an extra step.

Thanks,

Greg

MorisetteStevens

Bump

Would be nice to be able to enter and track "elevation gain" for treadmill workouts.

That's what i've been thinkin' too. I'm still struggling with the program on the treadmill. haha! Hey, gym newbie here..

gdskelly

Late Starter

I think it would be really cool if it were possible to add user defined fields that could be used in reporting either as a basis for filtering or a value to accumulate and report.

I could track elevation gain. Someone else might want to track and compare group runs vs solo or with and without music...

I have no clue if something like that is reasonably easy or near impossible to implement though

hectortrojan

I would like to see elevation gain and loss data as well

runmichigan

It is kind pointless as the elevation is way off even with the correction in most Garmin models.

gdskelly

Late Starter

It is kind pointless as the elevation is way off even with the correction in most Garmin models.

There is certainly some truth to that. Particularly devices without an altimeter input. When I have reviewed some frequently repeated segments I do get results that are fairly repeatable. I have compared the results to elevation differences from topo contours as well with reasonable results. Often the value I track is not the one displayed on the map page. Most times I have a GPS watch and keep my handheld GPS clipped to my pack (because I'm weird).

Just for background... Most of the folks I am around are primarily interested in tracking the vertical gain per week. I am pretty new to all running and run-tracking. Most times I go out are really for my enjoyment but the tracking and analyzing I do carry out is mostly focused on trying to get ready for trail events.

Anyway, that is enough of my rambling :-)

jmctav23

2/3rds training

it's gotten a lot better and will continue to be more accurate as more watches hit the market with built in barometric altimeters...Count me in as one who wants this on RA graphs, it's one of the only reasons I use Strava as well as RA.

Maniac

Is the elevation gain reported on Garmin Connect reasonably accurate?  It got the pancake flat run I did on a canal correct....Just curious about its accuracy when I run trails.  It's frequently different from the "corrected" version on here.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy