Marathon is over, 6 lbs heavier! (Read 1335 times)

Slice

I ran my first full yesterday & today I'm 6 pounds heavier than last week. Is this normal & will go away in a couple days? I don't think I went too overboard carb loading beforehand & I ate a lot yesterday, but not enough to gain 6 lbs in one week. Anyone else experience this?

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

God was amazing when designing our strange complex & amazing bodies & minds.  don't worry about it, everything will fall back into place as you get back into your normal routine.  congrats on your great race and PR!

Wow I ran a marathon yesterday and I am about 3 pounds lighter.  I lost 6 pounds during the darn thing. 

I wouldn't worry about it much but just sounds strange that you gained weight.  Were you drinking beers and eating doughnuts on the course. 

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
        • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
        • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It was hot at Pig. It is likely all fluid. Some coffee, and it will pass.

Of note, that represents ~3 quarts of fluid.

Also of note, if you run Monkey this year then you will complete the flying mammals marathon series for 2012.

Slice

Also of note, if you run Monkey this year then you will complete the flying mammals marathon series for 2012.

That's the plan! And thanks for the input about the fluid. I'm hoping the weight drops in a day or so. It's like my body said "Race over. Here's all your weight back that you lost training for it."

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

#artbydmcbride

Do you only weigh once a week?   You may have put some weight on during taper.  It will balance out again soon.  Congratulations on surviving the marathon!  Smile

Runners run

A Saucy Wench

I gained as much as 8 lbs in water weight from a long run (weight the next morning).  I avoid weighing after races.  But good bet is if you are sore you are gonna be heavier.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xhristopher

Is there a special jacket for this elite group?

I gained as much as 8 lbs in water weight from a long run (weight the next morning).  I avoid weighing after races.  But good bet is if you are sore you are gonna be heavier.

Same here. The body holds onto water to aid repairing what has been broken down during the activity.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Happy Camper

Two shots of vodka at bedtime is much more rewarding. Smile

Determination: The feeling you get right before you try something incredibly stupid.

You are welcome to be my guest at the Flying Dutchmen 5k next year. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Slice

You are welcome to be my guest at the Flying Dutchmen 5k next year. 

I should do the Flying Dutchmen, Flying Pirate, Flying Pig, and Flying Monkey. I'm pretty sure my husband would make my running shoes fly out the window if I attempted that though!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

DOMS always mean significant weight gain for me...especially if those DOMS were achieved during a hot weather run/race...so, yeah, I am totally not stepping on the scale for a few days--and I only ran a half!  I predict you're gonna be pissing like a race horse all day long in a day or two.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Slice

DOMS always mean significant weight gain for me...especially if those DOMS were achieved during a hot weather run/race...so, yeah, I am totally not stepping on the scale for a few days--and I only ran a half!  I predict you're gonna be pissing like a race horse all day long in a day or two.

Thanks for the warning, I'm presently pre-treating the pain with wine. Big grin

First off.. congrats for your first, especially it being the pig this weekend, you finished 10 seconds after my girlfriend if you started the same time as her! She shaved 20 minutes off her PR (first) and loves/uses-the-hell-outta RA but never posts cause she doesn't want to look stupid, although it's a big accomplishment in that weather we had. My 3 minute PR had me feeling like a champ.

I weighed in 4 pounds heavier than race day probably cause of my immense Cheesecake Factory dinner and felt terrible about myself to be honest.. but the taking an average of 1.5 "cups" of gatorade at each station and dumping water over my head for the last 5, keeping my carbs in check, having an endurolyte pill, and then having a recovery shake and too many frito-lay products probably led to that. I'm also experiencing zoom-zoom's reference to the constant piss-fest and am excited for the de-bloating to occur Joking