Getting tougher...60 mpw and a sub-19 5K tempo (Read 1052 times)

Certifiably Insane

OK, I have to say something about it. For only the second time that I can remember, I hit 60 miles last week. I've been slowly building my mileage up, and I've been consistently hitting 44-54, which isn't bad for 4 days of running per week. I was hoping to be in the high 50's or low 60's by the end of April, so I'm well ahead of the game right now. This is an easier week, probably 48 miles, then I'm hoping to hit 60 again next week. I haven't done any speed or tempo runs for a while, either, since this has been a buildup phase. On Monday, I went to the track, and hit a 5K tempo run. My legs were pretty beat from the 60 miles the week before, so I would have been happy with a 6:20-6:30 pace. I went out a bit fast (1:27 first 400) but it felt good. I got in a groove, and cruised through it with 1600 splits of 6:05, 6:07, and 6:06, finishing the 5K in 18:58. Not bad for a solo run. It was a good confidence booster. I'm hoping to get as close as I can to breaking 17:00 in mid-August. Now that I'm done with the buildup phase, I can start throwing in more tempos and long repeats over the next 6 weeks. Thanks for listening! Smile
    On the road since 1978! "To be good is not enough when you dream of being great." I am not obsessed! I'm just INTENSE! "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool." Why? Because race results stay on Google forever! (Reasonably recent) PR's: 5K - 16:40 10K - 35:04 HM - 1:18:30
    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Congratulations Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

In spite of your signature's claim to the contrary, I think you are obsessed. Nothing wrong with that at all. Taking a serious shot at 17:00 is pretty damned impressive in my book, I'm looking forward to your future reports. Best of luck!

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

OK, I have to say something about it. For only the second time that I can remember, I hit 60 miles last week. I've been slowly building my mileage up, and I've been consistently hitting 44-54, which isn't bad for 4 days of running per week. I was hoping to be in the high 50's or low 60's by the end of April, so I'm well ahead of the game right now. This is an easier week, probably 48 miles, then I'm hoping to hit 60 again next week. I haven't done any speed or tempo runs for a while, either, since this has been a buildup phase. On Monday, I went to the track, and hit a 5K tempo run. My legs were pretty beat from the 60 miles the week before, so I would have been happy with a 6:20-6:30 pace. I went out a bit fast (1:27 first 400) but it felt good. I got in a groove, and cruised through it with 1600 splits of 6:05, 6:07, and 6:06, finishing the 5K in 18:58. Not bad for a solo run. It was a good confidence booster. I'm hoping to get as close as I can to breaking 17:00 in mid-August. Now that I'm done with the buildup phase, I can start throwing in more tempos and long repeats over the next 6 weeks. Thanks for listening! Smile
          John, that is absolutely wonderful man.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

flovesparko

Hey runnerjohn, I'm a low milage guy trying to build up to higher milage because it seems like everyone says it's going to make a big difference. Can't quite do it because of present life commitments. I also would love to run a 17min 5K. (closer to 17:15, is more likely) Just wanted to let you know there is a thread for running sub17 min 5K currently. Good luck with training.

Certifiably Insane

Hey runnerjohn, I'm a low milage guy trying to build up to higher milage because it seems like everyone says it's going to make a big difference. Can't quite do it because of present life commitments. I also would love to run a 17min 5K. (closer to 17:15, is more likely) Just wanted to let you know there is a thread for running sub17 min 5K currently. Good luck with training.
              Yeah, I have posted in it a few times, but thanks! I haven't checked it for a while, because I've only been doing buildup. Now that I'm getting in some faster runs, I won't feel like such a slug posting in it again. "In spite of your signature's claim to the contrary, I think you are obsessed." Yeah, there is that rumor going around... Big grin
              On the road since 1978! "To be good is not enough when you dream of being great." I am not obsessed! I'm just INTENSE! "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool." Why? Because race results stay on Google forever! (Reasonably recent) PR's: 5K - 16:40 10K - 35:04 HM - 1:18:30
              Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Wow! That's some impressive stuff. You should be proud of yourself. Stay strong.