Lower leg bruising?? (Read 769 times)

Strange thing...I have been having lower leg pain, starting at my ankle bone and traveling up the inside of my lower leg. I've been attributing this to my relatively new job where I've been packing my running feet into heels and standing for 35+ hours a week. In the last week, I've had bruising up my leg in the same place...starts at my ankle & goes up, following the route of my pain. Has anyone else ever had this?? I have a race this Saturday and I refuse to be injured!! Big grin Eryn
    So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Okay, so I've definitely not had this. Is there a chance you can wear flats or lower heels or something? Heels are notorious for being absolutely bad news on a woman's feet and legs. Remember, Pressure=Force/Area so when you wear heels, you're supporting your same weight over a smaller area, so pressure goes up. Every little bit you can do to increase that area (and thus reduce the pressure on your feet and legs) is a good thing. Also, are you standing on hard surfaces? If you're in one spot for a long time (like if you work behind a counter), you should get some sort of rubber padding to stand on. Good Luck! Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

muse_runner

keep running.

Hey girlie, that sounds really uncomfortable. Can you see a doctor soon? Get well!
        running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Go see a doctor.
          I think she should, too...but I know she won't listen to me and fully plans to run a 10 mile race we are both registered for tomorrow. I'm concerned that she won't be able to run our 25k in 3 weeks if she runs tomorrow.... Sad I also think she should buck the heels at her job--screw looking professional if it's going to harm your body. Anyone that complains can deal with a sexual discrimination suit, IMO. If men aren't expected to wear heels to hold a professional job title, then neither should women. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I also think she should buck the heels at her job--screw looking professional if it's going to harm your body. Anyone that complains can deal with a sexual discrimination suit, IMO. If men aren't expected to wear heels to hold a professional job title, then neither should women.
            Well said. Heels may look nice (but I honestly think running shoes look better anyway), but they are truly terrible for one's feet and legs.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Two words: blood clot. You need to rule that out.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Trent, is there anything related to running and/or wearing heels that might cause that scenario? When I was trying to find info. for her last night all I could find were deep vein thrombosis references and ruptured tendons...but I would guess that a ruptured tendon would be a pretty sudden thing, right? The blood clot thing is VERY terrifying. Eryn, don't be a dumbass. You know Trent doesn't just throw stuff like that out there as a scare tactic. k

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Trent, is there anything related to running and/or wearing heels that might cause that scenario?
                  Sure. But there is ALSO something dangerous that can cause that scenario. You have to get it checked out.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, I totally agree--always better to err on the side of caution, especially if there's potential for something deadly. k

~ Sarah Kay

Ok, it's Fri night and I've just worked for 12 hours, so I'm not rushing to the doctor tonight because I'm tired & extremely grumpy (no, not because Trent told me politely to pull my head out of my arse & see a doctor, but because I worked for 12 hrs & will get paid for 7 of it, but that is another story). But, I do hear what you are saying on going to the doctor. Do I intend to kill myself to run a small 10mile race? No. Do I intend to try to run it...yes. I promise, however, if it hurts like it did the other night, I will walk off the course & seek medical attention. If it were the day before my 25K, I'd probably commit to killing myself for that race! Blush The bruising is getting better. I didn't get any new bruising from my Wed night run. I took last night off because of the discomfort and today because I worked too much and am too tired, not to mention I have to be up at 5am to get ready & on the road for my race. Am I dumb for thinking of running this race? Probably. But again, I swear that if it hurts, I will quit!
                        Okay, so I've definitely not had this. Is there a chance you can wear flats or lower heels or something? Heels are notorious for being absolutely bad news on a woman's feet and legs. Remember, Pressure=Force/Area so when you wear heels, you're supporting your same weight over a smaller area, so pressure goes up. Every little bit you can do to increase that area (and thus reduce the pressure on your feet and legs) is a good thing. Also, are you standing on hard surfaces? If you're in one spot for a long time (like if you work behind a counter), you should get some sort of rubber padding to stand on. Good Luck! Jeff
                        I can wear flats, I just have to have every pair of dress pants I own altered. I'm short, but too tall for petite sizing. But I'm in the process of looking for a flatter & comfier shoe and just talked lastnight to a lady that is willing to start shortening all my pants. I do stand...all day, mostly in one spot. I stand on a rubber mat usually, but after 7or 8 hrs in heels, I might as well be standing on bare concrete...which is what is under the rubber mat & thin commercial carpeting. Big grin
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, I don't know of they still have them, but ON used to have some really nice dressy/casual pants in lengths. The short ones fit me perfectly. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay