How did weight loss affect your running? (Read 1060 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

What everyone else said. I'm still on my weight loss journey. I started running again in May this year. Since then I have dropped from 209 pounds to 167. My goal is 156. The key thing (which has been well discussed above) is to ensure that you eat enough! It seems counter intuitive to eat a lot when trying to lose weight, but it really is important. If you try to reduce your calorie consumption dramatically whilst running a lot several things will happen: you will reduce your metabolic rate (the opposite of what you want), you will not be giving your body the nutrients and fuel it needs, and you will be susceptible to injury and illness. Eat lots of good stuff: fruit, veg, complex carbs, protein and good fats. If you want to lose 1 pound per week (a realistic goal for most of us) you need to create a daily deficit of around 500 calories. (3500 calories in a pound of fat). I try to do this by running alone, not by cutting calories. It works. For many weeks I have lost more than a pound a week - I put this down to running more than 500 calories per day. At the moment I'm trying to expend 1000 calories per day in a bid to lose 1kg per week. That's 2.2 pounds to my American friends. The benefits? It is a no-brainer that being lighter makes you faster. But you must make sure that you are not starving yourself. MTA: My before and after pics may appear after I've reached my goal weight!

I can see the string to tighten my shorts ? All mine can off the budda belly (20-25) breathing ,diaphram bounce was reduced .
        I'm still on my weight loss journey. I started running again in May this year. Since then I have dropped from 209 pounds to 167. My goal is 156.
        I'm having a dog of a time in this department. I started running in March at 163 and immediately dropped to 153.....and then gained to 155 and from there I have remained the same -- even put in a string and got great advice from RA people........but getting the weight off isn't working despite that I'm 20lbs overweight....gonn figure it out even if I have to start cutting things off.....but GREAT JOB for your weight loss...and keep it up.. It will make a huge difference in running times.....and I look forward to seeing your before and after pictures...

Champions are made when no one is watching

Purdey

Self anointed title

I'm having a dog of a time in this department. I started running in March at 163 and immediately dropped to 153.....and then gained to 155 and from there I have remained the same -- even put in a string and got great advice from RA people........but getting the weight off isn't working despite that I'm 20lbs overweight....gonn figure it out even if I have to start cutting things off.....but GREAT JOB for your weight loss...and keep it up.. It will make a huge difference in running times.....and I look forward to seeing your before and after pictures...
          John, Thanks. It sounds like you have hit a plateau - big time. Have you tried "shocking" your body into losing? Try (for one week or so) eating a bit more, of the good stuff, say 5 times a day instead of 3. Combine this with changing your running. For one week put in some more high intensity stuff - burns loads of calories. Your body adapts quickly to new stress levels - this leads to plateaus. Give it a shock now and then and change what you do! Good luck.

John, Thanks. It sounds like you have hit a plateau - big time. Have you tried "shocking" your body into losing? Try (for one week or so) eating a bit more, of the good stuff, say 5 times a day instead of 3. Combine this with changing your running. For one week put in some more high intensity stuff - burns loads of calories. Your body adapts quickly to new stress levels - this leads to plateaus. Give it a shock now and then and change what you do! Good luck.
            Interesting - Week after next would be a perfect week for somethng like that...next week Im tapering back for a race...but the week after Im going to run a higher number of miles then normal (and a track session)...probably 30.....See what happens.....THANKS

Champions are made when no one is watching