Is it Possible... (Read 1334 times)

That you can pronate severely on one foot and suplinate on the other? I am wearing Brooks Adrenaline GTS7's to correct my Heavily overpronating right foot, but I am noticing that my left foot is rolling outward... In an obvious way, as I can feel the muscles on that leg getting more sore on the outside.... Any Ideas if this is truly what is going on? If so, can anything be done about it? Thanks, Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Hawt and sexy

My feet did that a few thousand miles ago. Not so much now.

I'm touching your pants.

My Hero

I think that may be happening to me... The last pair of shoes I got was at a specialty running store and when they video taped my gate on the treadmill, my right foot was splaying out much more than the left. I ended up with shoe that corrects for that but they are the worst most uncomfortable shoes I've ever worn, so I went back to neutral shoe. I do have a bit of pain on the right leg but it seems to be isolated on the outside of the upper knee. Don't know if this happens to you, but I tend to drift to the right when running. Kind of like when the wheels are out of alignment on a car.
          That you can pronate severely on one foot and suplinate on the other? I am wearing Brooks Adrenaline GTS7's to correct my Heavily overpronating right foot, but I am noticing that my left foot is rolling outward... In an obvious way, as I can feel the muscles on that leg getting more sore on the outside.... Any Ideas if this is truly what is going on? If so, can anything be done about it? Thanks, Smile
          My left foot has a slight (what I would consider normal) pronation. My right foot rolls from almost the complete outside (severe supination) to an over-pronation! I keep gradually shifting to a more neutral shoe-ease in the change. I believe my problem stems from an outward rotation of my hip flexors-and I am trying to gradually correct that just by paying attention to and correction posture (not necessarily during running, just in general). Careful if those Brooks are stability shoes (I am not familiar). I wore a stability shoe for a long time not knowing that stability shoe plus supination = ITBS. I do not want to see you go through that too! It was awful!
            Don't know if this happens to you, but I tend to drift to the right when running. Kind of like when the wheels are out of alignment on a car.
            I seem to recall, that phenomena happens to everyone. It is why people lost in a desert would travel in circles. The strange part is you know you do it, even with visual references, which should negate that quirk.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

My Hero

I can keep on track if the concentration is there. It's when I switch on the cruise control is when things go out of control. The other day while running in the bike path, looking down at the Garmin, listed right into the curb and rolled across the pavement. Glad no one saw me embarrass myself. Surprised
                I can keep on track if the concentration is there. It's when I switch on the cruise control is when things go out of control. The other day while running in the bike path, looking down at the Garmin, listed right into the curb and rolled across the pavement. Glad no one saw me embarrass myself. Surprised
                I drift to the right too. My friend/running partner drifts left. When we run together and there is a lull in conversation or a zone out you'll hear a lot of this if you run near us: "Oops, sorry."
                  Careful if those Brooks are stability shoes (I am not familiar). I wore a stability shoe for a long time not knowing that stability shoe plus supination = ITBS. I do not want to see you go through that too! It was awful!
                  I had the same thing happen to me. I'm now in a neutral shoe and my ITB is much more happy than it was in the stability shoe.
                  Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
                    I had the same thing happen to me. I'm now in a neutral shoe and my ITB is much more happy than it was in the stability shoe.
                    You know? all the " Overthinking" about shoes and everything else is damned wearing me out! Hub says For Pete's sake, just go out and run" which I 200% agree with, but it just HURTS when I run, from my dorsiflexor's to my knees. Running should not hurt THIS MUCH. I am not talking about nagging pain here or there, but Pain that prevents me from increasing mileage, and enjoying the run at all. Granted after about a 5 week hiatus for my stupid tendonitis in my foot, I am trying to get back out there, and I am struggling to get through shin pain ( for the umpteenth time it seems) and find my groove again. Hub fears that IF i move to a neurtral shoe that my wildly overpronating foot will totally rebel and hurt me even worse, but damn, I feel like I am running with my feet in a vice sometimes. Pain this time is not up/down the shin bone as much as it is in the lower portion of both sides of my legs, and the dorsiflexion area. My shoes have a Powerstep insert in them to help with the shin pain, but I swear it feels worse. They are broken in properly as well, in case anyone is thinking that.... Wink TChuck? Nobby? I promise you, my heart is in it forever, and I will get this body to cooperate one way or the other. But Hub will enjoy a 6 mile run today, while I will be in our local gym, exiled to the treadmill/eliptical for my cardio today. There are so many smart, long time runners here, I would certainly appreciate a pep talk about what to do to resolve this pain in the A$$ issue. Love to all~ Cheffy

My Hero

Hub fears that IF i move to a neurtral shoe that my wildly overpronating foot will totally rebel and hurt me even worse, but damn, I feel like I am running with my feet in a vice sometimes. Pain this time is not up/down the shin bone as much as it is in the lower portion of both sides of my legs, and the dorsiflexion area. My shoes have a Powerstep insert in them to help with the shin pain, but I swear it feels worse. They are broken in properly as well, in case anyone is thinking that.... Wink
                      Why not pick up a moderately priced pair of neutral shoes and go for a few conservative runs? If the shoes feel more comfortable and the pain subsides, you may have learned a valuable lesson.
                        Hub fears that IF i move to a neurtral shoe that my wildly overpronating foot will totally rebel and hurt me even worse, but damn, I feel like I am running with my feet in a vice sometimes. Pain this time is not up/down the shin bone as much as it is in the lower portion of both sides of my legs, and the dorsiflexion area. My shoes have a Powerstep insert in them to help with the shin pain, but I swear it feels worse. They are broken in properly as well, in case anyone is thinking that.... Wink
                        I had the same issue. My solution was to move gradually. I didn't go from stability shoes to running flats! I transitioned gradually...moving through different levels of stability to neutral (actually, I think I am in now what is considered "cushion"). During those phases I strengthened my gluteus muscles (all of them, especially the medius and minimus-weakness in those muscles are contributors to ITBS) and did all the shin exercises to stretch/strengthen that area. It has really worked for me. Obviously that is just me and everyone is different...but maybe something to consider. I definitely hope you can find a solution-I know it can be very frustrating! Angry Oh, and I slowed down. A lot. That way I got to run more. Smile
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

When I started running I was in a fairly high stability shoe...one that some people with fairly severe pronation can use. Eventually it seemed to be controlling a bit too much, so I moved down a notch in stability. With time that shoe also seemed to be doing too much and the medial post became "intrusive." Now I am in very mild stability models (NB 902 and Saucony Progrid Guide). These are fantastic, but I have also run in a neutral shoe for shorter runs without any trouble. It makes sense to me that a lot of pronation issues are simply due to legs that are still not very strong. I noticed my biggest reduction in stability needs after running on snow and ice all last Winter. By the time Spring came around I had some hella strong legs. Working on not overstriding really helped, too. Cheffy, I wonder if a neutral shoe with maybe an orthotic for the pronating leg would help. Maybe not even a prescription orthotic, but a good OTC one...?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

When I started running I was in a fairly high stability shoe...one that some people with fairly severe pronation can use. Eventually it seemed to be controlling a bit too much, so I moved down a notch in stability. With time that shoe also seemed to be doing too much and the medial post became "intrusive." Now I am in very mild stability models (NB 902 and Saucony Progrid Guide). These are fantastic, but I have also run in a neutral shoe for shorter runs without any trouble. It makes sense to me that a lot of pronation issues are simply due to legs that are still not very strong. I noticed my biggest reduction in stability needs after running on snow and ice all last Winter. By the time Spring came around I had some hella strong legs. Working on not overstriding really helped, too. Cheffy, I wonder if a neutral shoe with maybe an orthotic for the pronating leg would help. Maybe not even a prescription orthotic, but a good OTC one...?
                            ZZ~ This was my thought also, I currently have a " Powerstep" Orthotic in my shoes, purchased from my running store peeps for about $35.00 a pair. I feel this to be a " Good" one? I think I will try the Radius 7 by brooks to see if this theory works. It seems to me that when I was fitted by the store for my " Motion control" shoes, this was at the start of C25K, when you look back at this program, how much real " running" are you doing on that shoe? My problems began when the mileage ramp-up came at the end of One hour runner, when the " Long Run" was 5.8 miles. Calves became very tight, and shin pain returned. Now that I am post injury, and running again, and have done a f ew 4-5 milers, the pain is back, and getting worse. You may be on to something here.... for my sake, I hope you are!! Smile