Sciatica? Will running worsen this pain? (Read 2801 times)

Slice

I've been having some pain in my right leg, which I just assumed was from running. However, I haven't ran in 2 days and my leg is rocking me today. It is hurting down the back of my right leg and feels kind of numb so I'm assuming it's my sciatic nerve. Does anyone have any experience with this? If so, did running worsen the pain? I want to run tomorrow but I don't want to regret it afterward.

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

#artbydmcbride

The sciatica can get so inflamed it will shut your running down completely.  

Lie on your back and hook a towel around the bottom of your right foot and gently raise and lower your leg as high as you can.   X 15

Anti-inflammatories are a good thing too (with lots of water)

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You are like 9 months pregnant, or something.  You need to be talking to your OB.

Slice

Eh, I'm only 8 months along. My OB cleared me on Friday to continue running. It won't hurt the baby but I don't want to hobble around after running either.

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Antiinflammatories are not something you should use when pregnant.  In most cases, you can run through sciatica if you can bear the pain.  A common nerve condition in pregnancy that is more benign is meralgia paresthetica, which you can totally run through.

I've been having some pain in my right leg, which I just assumed was from running. However, I haven't ran in 2 days and my leg is rocking me today. It is hurting down the back of my right leg and feels kind of numb so I'm assuming it's my sciatic nerve. Does anyone have any experience with this? If so, did running worsen the pain? I want to run tomorrow but I don't want to regret it afterward.

You seem to be doing a lot of assuming here.  It's no way to ask strangers (us) medical diagnositics.  I've had a bad case of sciatica and, eben though I'm sure there are different levels of sciatica, miine was not just "numb" but it was literally the biggest pain in a butt.  In fact, it felt like I had a "bad tooth" all along my leg and, as I put weight on my foot, my leg would collapse.  It is a nerve issue as is a bad tooth.  To that degree, when you are wondering whether you should be running or not, it's not that bad.  But, in that respect, I would "assume" you probably don't want to make it that bad.  And, if you "assume" it's cased from running, I would certainly NOT suggest you continue running.

As far as I see it, any injury, "assuming" it IS in fact an injury, can be as light or as heavy as you want it to be.  If you use common sense and eliminate the cause and continue working out sensibly, it won't get full bloom.  But if you just ignore the early warning sign and continue doing what had caused the injury to begin with, it would most likely get worse.

Eh, I'm only 8 months along. My OB cleared me on Friday to continue running. It won't hurt the baby but I don't want to hobble around after running either.

My wife continued to run until a few weeks before delivery; or, if not running, she continued to exercise on NordicTrack until a few weeks before.  It's the same thing--if you apply common sense and work out sensibly, I don't think it will hurt you or baby.  But it CAN hurt both or either if you are being, well, stupid. 

A Saucy Wench

The only thing that helped my sciatica during pregnancy was yoga inversions which you shouldnt do unless youve been doing them all along and once you are in month 8/9 if the baby has turned you should stop inverting. 

cat/cow pose can give some relief.  OK not really but some. 

Running seemed neither to hurt nor help.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Slice

Thanks for the input. I ran/walked 5.5 this afternoon and it didn't make it worse. I also felt better throughout the day or I probably wouldn't have attempted it. Sleeping on my left side seemed to help make the baby move over a bit last night.

I had this type of pain when I was pregnant and I agree with Ennay. Yoga and swimming are what made a huge difference for me. For a while the time I was in the pool was the only time my sciatic nerve didn't bother me. Once I started yoga up again, it really helped it go away. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Slice

meralgia paresthetica

Doesn't really feel like that, with the whole stinging sensation. Is it bad that when I read "paresthetica" I immediately thought "Yes, definitely a parasitic relationship"  I think the parasite was lying weird on Sunday, which took the leg pain from mildly uncomfortable to miserable.

On a brighter note, something popped in my back/hip area today and now I feel fantastic!

Runningsteph117

I also had some sciatic pain while I was pregnant, but it wasn't agitated by running.  I ran up until the very end (2 days before..the day before was a swim day!)  i found lots of stretching (the number 4 with your legs stretch) really helped.  Good luck!  

Why is it sideways?

To the OP: I think it's pretty awesome that you are continuing to run and do the things you love when you are pregnant, but I gotta say the reckless attitude about the whole thing is kinda offensive to folks who have struggled with pregnancy, endured miscarriages, or other problems with their pregnancy. Just fyi.

Slice

To the OP:the reckless attitude about the whole thing is kinda offensive

Not being reckless. I check with my OB every. single. visit. I take rest days when needed, cut back when needed, and walk when needed.

I am, however, sorry if I have offended anyone.

Why is it sideways?

Not being reckless. I check with my OB every. single. visit. I take rest days when needed, cut back when needed, and walk when needed.

I am, however, sorry if I have offended anyone.

Wasn't asking for an apology, just contributing a perspective. Also, I don't know, obviously, if you have or haven't been reckless. Just thought the thread presented itself that way. I'm probably being oversensitive.