Should I count this milage (Read 906 times)

DeadMopoz

Hi, I usually run in morning, with arount 8 min/mile for recovery and 7 min/mile for long runs. recently I started to run with my yonger kid in evening - about 1.5 mile at 9:30 min/mile pace. Do you think I should count this milage towards my taining, like putting it into my running log? I mean it is fun run for me, but I don't feel it like training.
    HappyFeat

I would. For one thing, you'll be able to track how your body reacts to running twice daily. For another, that's at least 5 to 10 miles per week which I definitely think is worth adding to your weekly total.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

SMART Approach

Yes, count it. If you could get to 2 miles, it would be even better.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I think you should. Running with the kids is excellent recovery from your regular runs. You can enjoy it and they keep you from going too fast when you need to recover. In this sense it's part of your training. I can remember running 2-3 miles with my kids and it taking about 30 minutes. I didn't really think of it in terms of mileage just that I was getting 30 minutes worth of good blood flow to my tired legs.
          http://www.marathoncoach.org

A Saucy Wench

I would count it...I would create a new run type for it so it is easy for you to identify. But yeah, that is good recovery time.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

jeffdonahue

Definitely count it. I run some 5Ks with my daughter and count them, as well as some training runs. Mileage is Mileage.
                Does your car not count mileage if you take an easy drive for ice cream? Count it.
                Lane

Does your car not count mileage if you take an easy drive for ice cream? Count it.
                  Who drives easy for Ice Cream? WHen I want Ice Cream, it is cause to speed by at least 10 mph.
                  Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hi, I usually run in morning, with arount 8 min/mile for recovery and 7 min/mile for long runs. recently I started to run with my yonger kid in evening - about 1.5 mile at 9:30 min/mile pace. Do you think I should count this milage towards my taining, like putting it into my running log? I mean it is fun run for me, but I don't feel it like training.
                    LOL, for some of us, 9:30 is our GOAL! Tongue

Wally & Leela

Good point. I'd say my overall average is about 9:35 or so.

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop. --Confucius

Yep, pace is relative. In my first running life (age 44-51), I never ran as slow as 9:30. In my second running life (age 58-61), 9:30 was my "brisk" General Aerobic pace. Today at age 69 and after a few years of little or no running, 9:30 is my 100m sprint pace. Smile
                        JakeKnight

Of course you should count it. The funny part is that it wouldn't surprise me if being forced to run an extra 5-10 really slow miles per week actually made you faster.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------