mediocrity (Read 450 times)

...both stemming from a variety of genetic and environmental factors.

I think we have a thesis statement

and coachs are bartenders

Very nice!

Blue Moon Hater

Sadly, many also view the ideal temperamental quality only in relation to training.  Hitting workouts on the track by yourself or with a training group is nothing.  Trying to bury your competitor after spending an hour in the bowels of a stadium thinking about your race while listening to the crowd roar during other events is a whole other thing.  Knowing that you need to perform in front of thousands of people in the biggest race of your life is a special quality of its own.

We imagine the ideal temperamental quality, almost exclusively, as stubborn and dogged determination or a capacity for work. And then we imagine the best physical qualities as being skinny, having a big heart, etc. But if you are around athletes a lot, you realize that the cocktail of performance is a quite delicate blend of temperamental and physical qualities.

A lazy man's sport?  I knew I picked the right one!

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

Well, fuckers

He still stands

The Diary of a Once-ran.

J-L-C

It's funny you view it as a lazy man's sport. When my non-running friends look at runners, they just can't imagine doing that much "training". I see your point if I look at it from the perspective of the amount of time spent actually running.

I used to be a cyclist and I can't imagine attempting to spend as much time running as I did time on a bike. One of the things I like about running is how little training you can actually do (due to impact and all)..

To be regionally competitive in cycling I'd train 15-20 hours a week. For running, 7-8. That's a huge difference!

Fat butt on couch

I used to be a cyclist and I can't imagine attempting spend as much time training on a bike versus running. One of the things I like about running is how little training you can actually do (due to impact and all)..

To be regionally competitive in cycling I'd train 15-20 hours a week. For running, 7-8. That's a huge difference!

Yes.

In college, my friends on the nordic ski team considers 3 hours a day an "easy day".

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand