Illegal Aid in a Marathon (Read 949 times)

dickchase

As long as it's your squirrel that you brought with you from the start or picked up at an official aid station it's OK. Don't do it if you got the squirrel from a spectator.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I had raced 3 times or so before I even heard someone ask the race coordinator if earphones were allowed. So, how do the ipodders cheat routinely? Just like the illegal aide rule, it seems a good idea to inform yourself of the rules, but also not a bad idea for race coordinators to announce a rule here and there.

I see many races that forbid headphone in the posted rules, and I see many ipodders wear headphones anyway. Even when the race director specifically announces that rule. I conclude that they just don't care whether headphones are actually allowed.

I personally don't care much either -- especially as it is virtually certain that I won't be wearing headphones anyway, regardless of whether they're allowed.

I mentioned it because it is a type of "breaking the rules" that seems prevalent, at least in the races I've attended. I was trying, poorly, to make the point that acceptance of breaking rules seems prevalent, in terms of these types of rules that ... well, I guess this is subjective ... that don't matter to most of us, and don't affect the distance run.

I have been told higher level races (championship races, and whatnot) may be more serious about enforcing race rules, even including headphones. But, I won't ever be fast enough to be in those type of races myself.

Similarly, I don't care if my competitors take water from unofficial handouts. Or if they are paced.

I suspect my lack of caring may be partially a product of the fact that I'm just a hobbyjogger - not near sub-elite, much less elite.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

As long as it's your squirrel that you brought with you from the start or picked up at an official aid station it's OK. Don't do it if you got the squirrel from a spectator.

But, this seems to be the most reasonable response yet.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

SillyC

Know what I like about running?  They don't need to make a lot of rules to get it working.  It's pretty simple - when they say start, you run, and when you reach the end, you stop.

I'm pretty sure the "no aid outside of an aid station" rules isn't about an unfair advantage but more about crowd control.  If everyone got unofficial aid along the course, then the race might not run smoothly. Crews could get pushy with one another and the spectators.

bhearn

I run the CIM every year and here are a couple of their rules from their website:

• No unofficial assistance of any kind may be provided to entrants. This includes pacing by a coach, friend or family member, even if this person is officially entered.  The only pacers on the course are the officil CIM Pace Team Leaders.

CIM is one of my unfavoritest races (and the feeling is mutual; I've been blocked from their FB page). I guess this is just another example of why. Who's to say what counts as pacing, if the other person is an official entrant?

That said -- the first (tiny) marathon that I won, I had unofficial pacing help the last mile. Guy just showed up, asked if I wanted a pacer, I said no thanks, I think I'm good, but he ran with me anyway, keeping up with the "you can do it", etc. I passed the lead runner (a woman), and beat her by 7 seconds. Ran about my 5k pace that mile. This has always bugged me. (OTOH, there were a couple of places where he blocked my tangents.) Fortunately there were no prizes or anything anyway.

an amazing likeness

Let's say you're running an official, sanctioned half marathon.  Race day happens to be the hottest day of the year (literally)  -- a good 20F above the temps most in the area have trained in. Everyone is suffering in the heat, and struggling to manage through it. Let's say there is one runner who has their family delivering towels filled with ice, and zip lock bags of ice to her on the course.  They drive up next to her, hand over fresh supplies, then meet her again a couple miles up the road.

Do you complain to her (or the RD)?  Or just think "crap...wish I thought of that"?  Or just let it go...to each his own...and no one ran a decent race today anyway?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

the first (tiny) marathon that I won, I had unofficial pacing help the last mile. Guy just showed up, asked if I wanted a pacer, I said no thanks, I think I'm good, but he ran with me anyway, keeping up with the "you can do it", etc. I passed the lead runner (a woman), and beat her by 7 seconds. Ran about my 5k pace that mile. This has always bugged me. (OTOH, there were a couple of places where he blocked my tangents.) Fortunately there were no prizes or anything anyway.

I guess the Guy just could not take a woman winning the race.

#artbydmcbride

Interestin question, MilkTruck, but let's get back to the Masters runner with the big dog pulling her...I think it would be okay if it was a Masters dog (over 40).

Runners run

RCA Runners Etiquette Brochure

Because Manners Matter

As participation in running continues to grow so does the need to educate everyone why manners matter on the run. The RRCA Runners Etiquette brochure is a full color, glossy four-fold brochure that is great for beginning running programs, marathon training programs, race bag stuffers, and more. The brochure outlines general running etiquette for road and trail running, the race start and on-course etiquette, aid station etiquette, and awards ceremony etiquette.

The brochure is sold in lots of 100 or more for a modest fee of $30 per 100 brochures. Order your copies from the RRCA publication store today! The RRCA will gladly co-brand the brochure if your club, event, or running store for orders of 1000 copies or more. Contact Jean Knaack at execdir@rrca.org about co-branded orders.

FFS.

Runners run

an amazing likeness

FFS.

To save others a trip to the urban dictionary....

ffs

"For Fuck's Sake!"
                      aka FFS
                      aka 4FS
                      aka 4fs

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Interestin question, MilkTruck, but let's get back to the Masters runner with the big dog pulling her...I think it would be okay if it was a Masters dog (over 40).

I'm still trying to figure out how this works. Do you have to tie the leash around your waist? Will a dog really pull hard enough the whole time to be something other than a hindrance?

Maybe I'm just too accustomed to "running" with my dog, which is more akin to dragging a boat anchor through a tire dump.

MTA: No avatars is really freaky.

FFS.

What are you FFSing about? It's a glossy four-fold brochure. GLOSSY!

MrH

I think it would be okay if it was a Masters dog (over 40).

No. At the very least it's banditting.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

. Who's to say what counts as pacing, if the other person is an official entrant?

I agree. In my fastest marathon I ran the last 5 miles next to another runner who was having a tough time. She had a running partner or coach (an official entrant) with her giving her encouragement '' "You can do it. ...Dig deep...You have it in you... I just listened in and kept up with them and then passed them near the finish line -- that guy really helped me! Was that unfair pacing?

At a recent 5k, I noticed someone in my age group ahead of me around mile 2.5. My competitive spirit came out and I slowly caught up and passed her, achieving a PR. Again, unfair pacing?

MrH

What are you FFSing about? It's a glossy four-fold brochure. GLOSSY!

Does it have anything about annoying finish line announcers?

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.