2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

Fishyone

That's where my 2:36 is from, how else do you think I got it besides cheating? Also I don't know if you saw a few pages back, but I thanked you for this idea of the PM/AM commute on back to back days. What a lifesaver! Really enjoyed it the first 2 times I've done it and I plan on keeping it up through my marathon. Thanks again!

Fishy - I've got nothing as I think I'm the only person left here who never uses a HR monitor. It's like Darkwave and her refusing to look at her watch during a race. We all have our thing.

Keen - you should sneak into a 5K/10K one of these weekends if the weather drops! No races until October is blech. Also, given your love of birds, have you played Wingspan? We bought it during March of 2020 and then didn't open it until about 6 months ago, but now we are addicted. We've got it going in the digital space as well with some friends.

SC - I had the same dilemma on a 5K and opted not to this spring, but I'm a bit crazy with my tapers and don't like racing during them. Almost everyone has said even a 10K 14 days out will have no impact. Go for it!

Anddd we're back to a high of 88 degrees on Saturday. This has been a fun one to track in the forecast! Don't you love when the day you're racing is one of the only D/F weather days on the grid? I guess Sunday morning with a low of 72 would have been even worse!

As usual though, I will trade this terrible half weather for a nice, cloudy, 53 degree day in Duluth in 4.5 weeks 

Forecast

That forecast looks rough.....how much will you take off your pace for the weather?

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

zebano

That's where my 2:36 is from, how else do you think I got it besides cheating? Also I don't know if you saw a few pages back, but I thanked you for this idea of the PM/AM commute on back to back days. What a lifesaver! Really enjoyed it the first 2 times I've done it and I plan on keeping it up through my marathon. Thanks again!

Keen - you should sneak into a 5K/10K one of these weekends if the weather drops! No races until October is blech. Also, given your love of birds, have you played Wingspan? We bought it during March of 2020 and then didn't open it until about 6 months ago, but now we are addicted. We've got it going in the digital space as well with some friends.

Glad the commuting it's working out.

Do you boardgame a lot? I haven't found too many people who really love wingspan who don't generally love the fairly complex euro-games already. The art is fantastic. My personal favorite is still Broom Service which absolutely got hammered on BoardGameGeek but I really really enjoy the player 2 player interactions that are built into the mechanics as I find those get the table talking a bit more than something like Castles of Burgundy or Wingspan where we're all just kind of doing our own thing building our points up.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - I haven't played that before, but I'm looking into it now on boardgamegeek.
        There's an odd lack of races around right now and most of the ones I can find are either 90+ minutes away and/or have zero course info posted. I am thinking of driving to Tulsa for an afternoon 5k on the 3rd, and a week or two after that there's one locally that should be on a standard course that's pretty fast.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

My dad was a huge board game geek and got us into it very young. He was the type of guy though who always wanted to try new games - I can't tell you the amount of board games he had that he played once or still was completely wrapped up that he bought 10 years ago.

My group of friends were into Agricola for almost a decade on the iOS app, playing it daily for that long. We also brought out the physical game maybe once every few months. The game finally went kaput about 6 months ago as the notifications no longer worked, but it's an awesome game if you haven't played it.

I also really enjoyed Puerto Rico for a while. Wingspan, although a really well done app, is probably better in person.

And wow, Broom Service really did get hammered! Going to be hard to convince me to try that next when I still haven't hit so many of the more recent greats. I think the next game I really need to get to is Terraforming Mars. I think they have an iOS version so it may be good to add to my list of games I play with friends online.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

That forecast looks rough.....how much will you take off your pace for the weather?

Who the hell knows. Like I said, I'm an idiot and will probably still go for PR and then blow up when I hit mile 8, which is this dead straight road until the final marker where you can start cooking in the sun. It's also mentally very difficult to run a dead straight line for miles, at least for me.

Maybe 5 seconds per mile? So that means I need to actually be in 1:13 shape to PR?

I'd say a realistic, but challenging goal given the heat, will be to run a 1:15:XX. If I do that, I know I'm probably in better shape than when I ran that 1:15:00 in 48 degree weather.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

zebano

My dad was a huge board game geek and got us into it very young. He was the type of guy though who always wanted to try new games - I can't tell you the amount of board games he had that he played once or still was completely wrapped up that he bought 10 years ago.

My group of friends were into Agricola for almost a decade on the iOS app, playing it daily for that long. We also brought out the physical game maybe once every few months. The game finally went kaput about 6 months ago as the notifications no longer worked, but it's an awesome game if you haven't played it.

I also really enjoyed Puerto Rico for a while. Wingspan, although a really well done app, is probably better in person.

And wow, Broom Service really did get hammered! Going to be hard to convince me to try that next when I still haven't hit so many of the more recent greats. I think the next game I really need to get to is Terraforming Mars. I think they have an iOS version so it may be good to add to my list of games I play with friends online.

Ugg, unopened board games are my bane. I currently have an shrinkwrapped GloomHaven taunting me daily as I just can't get people together to finish up Jaws of the Lion. Agricola is a fun game but depressingly long to teach and then the first playthrough is just people getting their feet wet. Puerto Rico is IMO one of the best games ever made. If it has a flaw it's simply that sitting to the left of the weakest player gives you great odds to win.

Broom Service is in many ways a bluffing/player reading game as the gather ingredients / deliver potions theme isn't difficult. Everyone has the same set of 10 action cards and choose 5 per round. Each card has a brave action and a cowardly action. When a card is played, everyone holding that card must play it (in turn order) choosing to be brave or cowardly. Cowards always get to take their action but it's of reduced value, only the last person to declare brave gets to take the larger action set but then is also punished by becoming the first player (making it harder to be brave on the next card).

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Gloomhaven has been so raved about, but I've heard it's incredibly complex / long to play. I assume if I have friends that liked Agricola, they'd be okay with that? I also agree with you with Agricola: you need to play the game at least 3 times in my opinion before you even get the basics, but probably 50 times before it really makes sense (and that's why the iOS version is great!)

That Broom game: would it be good in more of a "party" setting, e.g. with people who don't really play serious games but happy to play over a few drinks?

Fishyone

Who the hell knows. Like I said, I'm an idiot and will probably still go for PR and then blow up when I hit mile 8, which is this dead straight road until the final marker where you can start cooking in the sun. It's also mentally very difficult to run a dead straight line for miles, at least for me.

Maybe 5 seconds per mile? So that means I need to actually be in 1:13 shape to PR?

I'd say a realistic, but challenging goal given the heat, will be to run a 1:15:XX. If I do that, I know I'm probably in better shape than when I ran that 1:15:00 in 48 degree weather.

All right then I'll put you down for a 1:14Tight lippedx goal

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

All right then I'll put you down for a 1:14Tight lippedx goal

If we were allowed to have aspirational goals of "everything goes perfect", then yes, that would be it. But since I'm only allowed 1 single goal without being called soft, I will stick with 1:15:XX. Current workouts and my handy-dandy TDP calculator say 1:16:15, so I think that's the right goal.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac - I think the point that no-one believes you’d stop if you were going to miss your A target means we don’t think you’re soft at all. 

Personally, I think it would be very gutsy to go for it in those conditions but very wise to adjust to a secondary goal if things aren’t going your way.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Can't we all just embrace the soft?

Re: Board games - I'll admit that I am just REALLY NOT into them.  I honestly think it's just that I can't sit still for that long.  Sitting someplace and concentrating and problemsolving is what I do all day at work - I really don't want to do it in my free time.

I always thought that the characteristics that made me a runner were the same that made me incompatible with board games.  Apparently not, based on this discussion.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

zebano

That Broom game: would it be good in more of a "party" setting, e.g. with people who don't really play serious games but happy to play over a few drinks?

Maybe? It still takes some explaining and depending on how many drinks people have had that might not work.  I see they've released a paired down card only version which might address that niche but I'm a big fan of Truck-Off for that type of casual setting. It's full of witty puns and all sorts of ways to screw over whoever is pissing you off without being a real serious (or long) play while having enough depth to keep the sober over-analyzers interested.

DWave oddly enough one of my brothers and I are big board gamers and the other can't stand them despite having similar personalities. Keen and I are both big chess players as well. Maybe that means I need a Z-goal for my marathon? I really wouldn't read anything into it.

Marky_Mark_17

If we were allowed to have aspirational goals of "everything goes perfect", then yes, that would be it. But since I'm only allowed 1 single goal without being called soft, I will stick with 1:15:XX. Current workouts and my handy-dandy TDP calculator say 1:16:15, so I think that's the right goal.

Honestly, you can set whatever goals you like if they work for you.  I generally have one goal (occasionally none), and sometimes an aspirational target, and I'm not a great believer in multiple goals.  Others are.  That's the joy of opinions on the internet.  I'm flattered you think that highly of mine.

The point I was making was that I don't actually believe you need what you cited as a B goal just to stop yourself from walking.  Believe it or not it was actually a compliment as Steve has inferred.  No-one runs a 2:36 marathon without having a certain amount of willpower. 

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

Can't we all just embrace the soft?

Soft bodies? Yes. 
                              soft minds? *refrains from being usual self* To each their own, or something along those lines I think. 

bored games I like them. I kind of like card games more. Both are equally acceptable forms of killing time.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

If there was ever a participation award for running that is well deserved, it goes to calbears for his ultra this weekend. Sounds like he really went into the well in order to get that Western States qualifier. It's one thing when you have 6 miles left to go in a marathon. It's a completely different beast when you have 20 miles to go with hundreds of feet of elevation gain in some of those miles.

Well done!

Thanks JMac... Hated it, hated it especially starting from mile 42. Just like in case with your upcoming race, for some unknown reason the Saturday the race was on, would be the hottest day in a month - 75 oF the day before and clouds, 86 oF on the day race and no clouds and 75 oF with clouds on the next day after the race. For some reason after mile 42, when I was already totally spent and exhausted, I decided that if my pace goes beyond 15 mpm, I won't be able to cut it under the 16 hours. It was kind of demoralizing - that I spent so many hours and would not achieve the goal I was for. And for the next few miles, I was extremely upset - I was shouting swearings at the race organizers for creating a course that constantly goes up and up (at one point I think I seriously scared some young asian couple who were hiking on the trails and I didn't see them coming)  - and up was a huge problem for me - after every small uphill it would take me several minutes to catch my breath and maybe start running. I was frustrated beyond means. But then, because I was not sure about exact pace to reach the qualifying time, I decided to change my calculations. So, I substracted from 8:30pm (16 hours after the start) the time of the day and divided by mileage left. Turned out I still had a chance - especially knowing that last 3 miles were straight downhill where 10 mpm would be reasonable even in my physical state. That realization didn't make me faster or stronger, but gave me will power, which is probably even more important. I struggled immensely, my heart rate was extremely low for the way I felt - 135 bpm and I have to struggle for air after every uphill section (which were so plenty up until last 3 miles). Yeah, that was something - I really hated running all that time, but, at the end, at least the race was not for nothing - I got my qualifier. Now I have to think what I will do if I win WSER lottery with following 100 miles race. How would I get through that distance if I struggled so much with 100K? I have to think about it seriously, the earlier the better - and especially what to do with my lack of uphill running preparedness.

For people who saw a photo on Strava - a plaque saying 500K - that was some kind of award for running 5th Quicksilver 100K race - 5 x 100K = 500K Smile. I obviously didn't run 500K race Smile

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile