Garmin and MB not playing nice... (Read 936 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ok, so the first 2 runs I did with my Garmin 305 have different times for total and moving time, since I stop the timer when I have to wait for traffic. Today when I uploaded my unit I got the same time for moving and total, but I finished my run and stopped the timer at 1:15 and change. My total and moving are both showing the same time, 1:16.... I went back and looked in the history on my Garmin and my moving time is correct (1:15:01), there, so it's gotta be a Motion Based issue. Is there any way I can manually input the correct time when this sort of thing happens? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I don't think you can modify anything (beyond the name of the entry) on anything once its up on MB.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Darn...I'm definitely going to pay attention to that in the future, then. Any idea why it wouldn't upload the moving time properly?

~ Sarah Kay

I've never noticed a problem before. But then again, I only use MB when I want to see an elevation chart. I use GTC and SportTracks for keeping historical data. Then I put whats relevant on here. At least until Eric hooks us up with the sweet GPS link to RA.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Then I put whats relevant on here. At least until Eric hooks us up with the sweet GPS link to RA.
            Yeah...I'll probably be kicking MB to the curb, then! Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I've seen similar discrepancies before. It may be that MB calculates moving time based on the GPS tracks rather than what the watch said. So what is MB good for? 1) Although the time may be whack, the GPS track gets corrected by the site; hence, distance should be more accurate than what the watch says. However, we're usually talking a few hundredths of a mile, so it's not a big deal. Also, if you move a bunch while the watch is stopped in the middle of a run, actual running distance run won't be correct on MB. 2) MB using an algorithm called MB Gravity to correct altitude fluctuations, which are highly significant (see the "hills" on Bonkin's couch). This post shows an out-and-back that I run with and without MB Gravity 3) The course map. 1 is negligible, 3 will be taken care of when Eric completes GPS integration, so like Bonkin said, the elevation is the only major reason to use MB.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

2) MB using an algorithm called MB Gravity to correct altitude fluctuations, which are highly significant (see the "hills" on Bonkin's couch). This post shows an out-and-back that I run with and without MB Gravity 1 is negligible, 3 will be taken care of when Eric completes GPS integration, so like Bonkin said, the elevation is the only major reason to use MB.
                Yeah, that and being able to be anal and not have to draw a map for each random running route I do...and I was eyeballing some safe trails in our area (ones sort of in the middle of town). Never would have given trails a thought if I couldn't easily map them... Big grin As for the elevation thing...on my first run my Garmin lost the signal under a bridge and it looks like I sprinted hella fast up and down a mountain right in the middle of my route's elevation profile. The MG Gravity fixed it. k

~ Sarah Kay

You'll ruin your knees!

Unless you buy the premium package, MB will only allow you to view the last 10 entries... That along with the other MB issues you are experiencing is why I only upload to MB courses that I want to share and to get good elevation info (few and far between since most of my runs are here in TX where it's pretty flat). Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ahhh...good point. Aside from MB, is there a way to view laps on the Garmin that show actual lap time, rather than cumulative lap time from lap to lap? k

~ Sarah Kay

You'll ruin your knees!

Ahhh...good point. Aside from MB, is there a way to view laps on the Garmin that show actual lap time, rather than cumulative lap time from lap to lap? k
                      On the garmin, go to history, running, by day, and select the day/workout you want and you will see summary info...press enter (View Laps? is highlighted automatically) and you can scroll through the laps to see details about each lap. I use this to get my lap info for the log, don't bother trying to download. Lynn

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Unless you buy the premium package, MB will only allow you to view the last 10 entries...
                        True, but if you log out of MB, go to TrailNetwork, and enter your username under "Find Activities" you can access all of your runs! Big grin Better still is to enter username under the advanced filters.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Can you not use GTC? or does that not work on the Mac?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Can you not use GTC? or does that not work on the Mac?
                            I was just playing with it...it actually works pretty well. I'm not sure if it does elevation corrections, though, and I know I lose signal at least once on one of my routes (going under a bridge) and that does wonky things. Though I did see on MB that my signal strength is "excellent," which I guess is good...probably because the trees are all bare and we don't have any tall buildings. k

~ Sarah Kay

I was just playing with it...it actually works pretty well. I'm not sure if it does elevation corrections, though,
                              Yeah, it's okay. Good enough for getting the details you want. No it does not do elevation correction.
                              and I know I lose signal at least once on one of my routes (going under a bridge) and that does wonky things.
                              I never find GTC and MB to be off more than 1 to 3 hundreds on runs of any length (3-32+ miles). Going under a bridge is the only time I've lost signal briefly as well.
                              Though I did see on MB that my signal strength is "excellent," which I guess is good...probably because the trees are all bare and we don't have any tall buildings.
                              You can also add the satellite accuracy field to one of your screens. I did this a long time ago on Berner's suggestion. I also added elevation. I will occasionally flip to this screen to get a "guesstimate" of high a hill is. When I find good ones or ones I want a more accurate measurement on, I just upload that one run to MB. Also check this thread I just posted about an alternative to MB.

True, but if you log out of MB, go to TrailNetwork, and enter your username under "Find Activities" you can access all of your runs! Big grin Better still is to enter username under the advanced filters.
                                You can even go to http://username.motionbased.com for a faster way to get there...

sean