Using workout type as a goal (Read 82 times)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Is it possible to use a specific workout type as a goal?

For instance, I'd like to have a goal for miles commuted via my bike, but I still want to log those miles under my bike miles.  (I don't want to make up a different activity just commuting miles.)  I don't want to have a goal for ALL my bike miles though...just ones I mark as "commute."

Hope that makes sense!

Running is dumb.

A possible workaround would be to use the 'Course' field to mark specific workouts as "Commute" or whatever.  You can then easily run a report for Bike activities to show where Route = "Commute".

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I can figure out a work around to get a report, but I want to use the goal widget, specifically, if possible.

Running is dumb.

eric :)

When I added goals, I do not know of all common use cases, which was why I started off with the obvious.  I have received a request for duration as well.  I don't know how many people want a goal widget for a specific workout type.  If other people think goal by workout type is useful, then I'll add it.

eric Smile

ashwyngray

This is a neat cncept! I hadn't looked at the goal widget until now.

MadisonMandy's suggestion seems like a great one. I wonder if treating the goals like equipment types would be good.

For instance, you could add a drop-down selection menu to the workout entry page that allows the user to select goals they've created and assign them to that particular workout.

an amazing likeness

For instance, you could add a drop-down selection menu to the workout entry page that allows the user to select goals they've created and assign them to that particular workout.

I can understand your vision of assigning the goal as a an attribute of the workout....

As an alternative opinion, I'd prefer to have the goal "collect" and aggregate from all the workouts which relate to the goal.  This would allow for multiple goals to be active at any time, and each workout would contribute to the goals (as appropriate).

For example, I might have 3 active goals all going concurrently:

Goal 1 = run 2000 miles in 2013  (a distance goal)

Goal 2 = run 330 times in 2013 (an 'event' or activity goal)

Goal 3 = run course X 26 times (a utilization goal)

A workout might satisfy all 3 (ran 6 miles on course X), or 2 (ran 6 miles, but not on course X), or 0 (swam 20 minutes).

Rather than assigning the goal at the workout, let the goals summarize relevant workouts.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

onemile

I agree this would be useful. For example, if I want to track just my dog running miles to make sure she can meet her yearly goal too.

ashwyngray

As an alternative opinion, I'd prefer to have the goal "collect" and aggregate from all the workouts which relate to the goal.  This would allow for multiple goals to be active at any time, and each workout would contribute to the goals (as appropriate).

Rather than assigning the goal at the workout, let the goals summarize relevant workouts.

Yes, that's an excellent way to put it, MilkTruck! As I read the initial suggestion, I first imagined the goals acting like simple tags that could be clicked and attributed to as many workouts as necessary. But, I'm not sure this platform is built for that functionality.

ashwyngray

I agree this would be useful. For example, if I want to track just my dog running miles to make sure she can meet her yearly goal too.

Your dog should probably have her own account so that she may log into RunningAhead without having to remember your password and email address.

onemile

I prefer to track it for her. She tends to like to overdo things if I don't keep an eye on her.

Your dog should probably have her own account so that she may log into RunningAhead without having to remember your password and email address.