Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

James - I firmly believe that pool-running is the art of trading dignity for fitness.

Marco - glad to hear from you!

Flavio - I know we've had this discussion before, but 7 miles at half-marathon effort just seems like WAY TOO MUCH.

My week:

45 miles, 1000 yards swimming, and 3:30 hours of pool-running
    M: upper body weights/core and 50 minutes pool-running
    T: 10 miles, including a track workout of 1600, 2x800 in 6:24, 3:08, 3:10. 5:09 recovery after the 1600; 2:30 recovery after the 800. Followed with leg strengthwork and yoga. 500 yard recovery swimming in afternoon.
    W: 9 miles easy (9:00), drills and 2 hill strides, yoga, and 30 minutes pool-running.
    Th: 50 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core
    F: 9 miles very easy (8:51), drills and two strides, yoga, and 30 minutes of pool-running.
    Sa: 14.5 miles, including a workout of 3x2 miles at 10 mile/half-marathon effort. Splits were 13:06 (6:33/6:33), 13:03 (6:31/6:32) and 13:09 (6:36/6:33). Half-mile jogs in 4:30-4:50 between each. Followed with streaming yoga, leg strengthwork, and 500 yards recovery swimming.
    Su: streaming yoga and 50 minutes pool-running

I had a bad workout on Tuesday - I simply couldn't catch my breath and felt drained and heavy, so I stopped early - I'm pretty sure that this was due to getting a lot of blood drawn for PRP last week. 7 days wasn't quite enough time to replenish. So, I pulled back on stuff for most of the week and focused on recovery before trying a tempo workout on Saturday morning that went much better. Of course, perfect weather didn't hurt.

On a separate note, it looks like I am going to be able to get a treadmill (!!!).  Back story is that sig other has decided to get himself a rowing machine.  Which means we are converting a room into a home gym. Which means that I now have a room to put a treadmill permanently.

(BTW, so we're clear, this is the same room that I had the rental treadmill in this spring.  At that time, the room was not a home gym, which is why the treadmill was a rental, not a purchase.  The good thing about doing the rental treadmill is that we got a feel for exactly how one worked in that space, and how much room it would take up.)

So I'm doing some shopping.  I'm leaning towards the Horizon AT 7.8 right now - it checks nearly all my boxes and I liked the one I tested in a store earlier today.  I just need to get confirmation that it doesn't have a time limit (some treadmills automatically shut off at 60 or 99 minutes).  Since I'm limiting myself to high end folding treadmills, I was also considering the Nordictrack 2950, but I've read horror stories about lemons and bad service response, and I really disliked the one I tried in the store today.  The Sole F85 is also appealing, but they are not doing delivery to a room in one's house right now.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

zebano

Zebano - nice week, are you using the bike as warm up before running? 

Negative. I had been swimming as cross training as it's my weakest triathlon discipline but with the Covid numbers being as awful as they are right now, I've been unwilling to go into the gym the past couple weeks. It's usually cycling at 5AM and running at lunchtime though that isn't a hard and fast rule (Sunday was basically a brick with a really lazy transition, and Tuesday the ride was at after dinner). Most of the cycling sessions are short enough I wonder if they help but I'd rather stay in the habit even if it's not a significant amount of time as I intend to do a couple sprints next summer.

James - I firmly believe that pool-running is the art of trading dignity for fitness.

LOL. Good luck finding a treadmill, that's one subject that just doesn't interest me at all.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Darkwave that 3x2 mile run was something else. I just imagined you flying past everything out there and people thinking you're some kind of professional or college athlete. The treadmills I'd run on previously had time limits but the "work around" was something like....if you didn't set a time limit, just got on and hit start, it would run as long as needed.

With the Zwift and foot pod you and commanderkeen can have group runs together. 15% incline and 12 mph ???? I can see why the price tag is so high. That thing looks pretty awesome. the owners manual doesn't make any mention of a time limit. I now find it frustration no treadmill review mentions a time out in their review. As if no one ever runs for 100 minutes on a treadmill.  I guess an email/phone call to the company is in order.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - what's the coldest your running got in Brazil? I imagine this is going to be a much different environment!

Steve - I agree with DW, can't compare trail and road races. Good RR though and definitely good for not dropping out. I've been there before once you've missed your goal and the urge is almost unberable.

DW - I agree with you regarding Flavio, 7 miles at HMP is impossible. The most I can fathom in training is 4-5 unless it's intervals.

Zebano - looks like you're moving in the right direction, congrats

Me - going for my 5K TT this weekend. It's PR or bust. I've put in a pretty good cycle minus the 10 days I lost for my tendonitis issues, which I guess is a lot, but I've been hitting workouts that indicate just under PR pace, so just a matter of executing in a TT.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

flavio - No I didn't fall but I had to slow right down to make sure I didn't.  Those hills beat up my legs big time, never been so sore especially after a time that isn't far off what I do in some training runs!

zebano, mark - Thanks for your thoughts on the race in 3 weeks.  They've actually moved it to a 9am start but had my session with the coach last night and he said "no way".  He wants a 16-18 week build up to the marathon and that means getting started straight after my 2 week recovery.

JMac - Yep, with 6km to go I broke it down into 2km chunks.  The mental difference between 6km, 4km and 2km to go felt huge.

So now I'm taking the plunge and heading into marathon training with some fear and lots of excitement.  My initial thoughts for 2021 is the full in Christchurch In April, then the South Island half in August and another crack at Queenstown in November.  I think there will be a tempo half in February if I can find one too.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - 5k TT's are pretty manageable although I would say the key is starting well.  If you're behind the pace 2-3km in, then the mind will start playing games.  I ran most of my early 5k PB's in TT's.  Knowing that the suffering will not last for that long is helpful.

DW - that was a nice HMP workout.  I'm looking forward to getting back into some more of that.

Steve - 9am is still very late when it's that close to the longest day!!  Sun's probably been up for over 3 hours by that time.  Even this 8:30 start for the race in Mt. Maunganui on Saturday is going to suck.

Feb halves are pretty rare.  There is Coatesville up here but it's very hilly and would be terrible prep for Christchurch full.  I think Buller Gorge Marathon and Half Marathon is in Feb though?  I would love to do that at some point, it looks like awesome running, but I don't think it will be next year.  It's probably the best place in the country to have a half marathon at that time of year tbh, reasonable chance of the temps not being crazy hot although it might be a trade off with humidity.

I figured you would do Christchurch Marathon, you have got a good mileage platform in the legs and maybe the change of distance will really work for you.  My full entry from last year got carried over due to the cancellation, I thought about switching to the half but 3 weeks is just too close to Southern Lakes for me.  Anyway hopefully we can all provide a bit of help as you get into the marathon training

I also can't say this enough, but I would seriously consider investing in a decent pair of race shoes, whether that's the Vaporfly or the Asics equivalent given that I know you're a Kayano fan.  The newer carbon-fibre plate shoes really make a huge difference and will give you an extra boost on race day.  Plus you can still use them for half marathons after the marathon too.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac/Mark - back in Brazil I've run in -4 celsius 25F a few times. But the period with temps under 10C is much shorter there. Here in Italy I can see it will last until March or April, 4 to 5 months, whereas there it was 2 or 3 weeks.

And I'm talking about the southernmost state capital in Brazil, most of the rest of the country is closer to the equator and thinks 18C is too cold.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac - Forgot to also say good luck for the TT, I think you're a great chance at a PR.

Mark - Yep I will start my planning around shoe management now too.  How did you work out what is best for you before paying the exorbitant price?

I've narrowed it down to Buller or the Motorway half on Feb 28.  Buller has some steady climbs and given it's going to be a tempo run and not an all out race, I don't think I'll travel.  The Motorway race is pretty brutal on exposed cycle trails so heat and wind will be punishing and it's not too scenic but it's only a stepping stone so I can live with that.  One positive is it finishes at the new athletics facility at Nga Puna Wai with a lap of the track.

I have a great base to head into an 18 week cycle and who knows, maybe I'll prefer the longer slower training.

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Mark - Yep I will start my planning around shoe management now too.  How did you work out what is best for you before paying the exorbitant price?

Everyone else had Vaporflies so I just took a (quite expensive) punt and jumped on the bandwagon.  That was before Asics, Saucony etc. all released their shoes.  Having said that, I only know of one person who has tried different brands - he has the VF Next %'s and the Saucony Endorphin Pro, and prefers the VF's.  I haven't spoken to anyone about the Alphafly's yet though.

You'll want to do a training run or two in them to test them out and get used to how they feel, but I wouldn't do much more than that.  I generally save them for that 'race day magic' part of the equation.  I did use an older pair that were past race-use for some of my longer MP tempo runs though.  I wouldn't waste a new pair on that though.

The Alphafly and the Next% are both on the Nike store, all-in price so don't worry about getting whacked with GST at the border.  Availability tends to be pretty off and on though depending on the size so I'd suggest figuring out what you want sooner rather than later and keeping an eye on the store if you decide to go Nike.

Oska Baynes (elite) runs Frontrunner on Colombo St and might be worth a chat.  Having said that he is a big NB guy so don't be surprised if he just tries to get you to buy NB.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Thanks Mark - I know of Oska via seeing him at or near the top of the results of most Canterbury races.  He's about a 2:15 marathon guy right?  I work around the corner so will drop in and get a New Balance sales pitch 

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Thanks Mark - I know of Oska via seeing him at or near the top of the results of most Canterbury races.  He's about a 2:15 marathon guy right?  I work around the corner so will drop in and get a New Balance sales pitch 

Yeah he won the NZ marathon / half marathon champs double last year, should've been off to World Half Marathon Champs this year but it got canned due to Covid.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I also can't say this enough, but I would seriously consider investing in a decent pair of race shoes, whether that's the Vaporfly or the Asics equivalent given that I know you're a Kayano fan.  The newer carbon-fibre plate shoes really make a huge difference and will give you an extra boost on race day.  Plus you can still use them for half marathons after the marathon too.

You can't say it enough, but I'll add on to this: if you're not racing in some special racing shoe, you're throwing away time. The VF for me is around 5 seconds per mile. In a marathon, it saves your legs like no other shoe.

Flavio - people complaining about 18C as too cold? Sounds like the Kiwis and Brazilians have something in common 

I actually think running around 40-50F is very pleasant. The 30s, it depends whether it's sunny or not. So 0C with wind and clouds is not pleasant. But sign me up for 2C with zero wind and full sunshine.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

zebano

I actually think running around 40-50F is very pleasant. The 30s, it depends whether it's sunny or not. So 0C with wind and clouds is not pleasant. But sign me up for 2C with zero wind and full sunshine.

This. 2C is just about my favorite race temperature. My favorite race most years is a late November XC race in Des Moines called Living History Farms and it ranges from a 10k to 8 miles but always seems to be  around 25F (-4C) with a 20mph  wind that will gust much higher. Honestly, with some lite clothing, once you get warmed up the cold isn't too bad until you start crossing the creek and there's absolutely no way to keep the feet warm.  I usually follow that up with a Thanksgiving day 5km race that starts latter in the day and some years has hit that 2C mark. I've PRd at that race 3 of the past 4 years.

DW - I'll echo everyone else and say 3x2mi was a great workout. Super consistent!

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Steve - Good RR, I enjoyed that.

Mark - Nice week. Feeling better?

DWave - I'm the same on antibiotics - I feel like I have no endurance at all when on them and stick to easy runs (even easy LRs can be difficult), but as soon as they're out of my system it's like someone flipped a switch and things go back to normal.
                              I think time limits on treadmills are mostly a custom thing for gyms, and not common on home units. Since you'll have a dedicated room for this, is there a specific need to have a folding treadmill?

Watson - Recovery progressing well?

Zebano - The current position in our game is interestingly unlike any other I've been in (particularly since we both castled long). This will take some thought.

RP - A zwift running session with DWave would be "interesting". Maybe a zoom at the same time, lol. 2020's version of a forum encounter.

JMac - Did you get that TT in I haven't seen it on Strava. Also, I'm a bit jealous of you getting to watch that owl hunt squirrels.

I actually had a decent week last week. 53 miles with one workout (9x hill sprints) and my first real LR in quite a while outside of my pacing duties last month.
                              Bailed on another hill sprint workout this morning based on a combination of things. Rain made the road pretty slippery, and my left leg had a hitch that hasn't bothered me in a while so based on the two (mostly just the latter) I decided to just try again a different day.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Flavio - people complaining about 18C as too cold? Sounds like the Kiwis and Brazilians have something in common 

I am confused by the fact that anyone could consider 40-50 NOT ideal temperatures for running.  I guess if marathoning a bit cooler is better, and the sprinters like it warmer.  But for a standard run?  I'm with JMac.

DWave -al.
                                I think time limits on treadmills are mostly a custom thing for gyms, and not common on home units. Since you'll have a dedicated room for this, is there a specific need to have a folding treadmill?

Sadly, the Horizon 7.8AT has a 90 minute limit.  I'm bummed.  I was just about decided on getting that one.  Heck I might still and just suck it up with the limit.

The folding is for three reasons:

1) Sig other wants a treadmill that has a smaller footprint than the one I rented.  The only way to accomplish that is either to get a Woodway (no) or a folding mill.

2) Folding will make it easier to vacuum underneath.

3) I have been told where it will be placed in the room (I'm not arguing - file under the give and take of relationships).  That location makes it a bit awkward to navigate around.  Folding will be appreciated.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.