Strange blister paradox (Read 85 times)

Hi, all.  I've been a runner for most of the past 36 years and have never, ever had a problem with blisters.  Even back in high school in ratty shoes and cotton socks, I don't recall ever having blister issues.  Still true today.

However, when I hike or even go for a long walk (in the same shoes and socks in which I run) my feet get absolutely shredded.  Anyone have any ideas why I can run with no issues but walking tears my feet up?  When running is going well, I will run about 5 hours a week just to give you a "time on my feet" benchmark.  After about two hours of walking, I'm getting blisters.

Finally, suggestions on prevention in terms of socks?  I will try lubricants, but want to pick a good sock too.  I run and walk in Asics Kayanos.

Thanks!

Yeah, well...sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Hard to say.  Since you run 5hrs a week, assuming 5x/week, you only run for an hour each time.  And maybe that's not enough time for sweat to become an issue, compared to 2hours in those "foot coffins".

Also, realize your weight distribution is different in walking, so you might be putting pressure on different parts of your feet.

Where are the blisters?

If they are between toes, you might try toe-socks.  Other places you could probably use LiquidBandage (NewSkin) preemptively to reinforce the area before the hike.   And I personally find wool socks pretty good at keeping my feet blister-free.  I don't really have the problem though (like you, it wasn't a thing in HS unless I had brand new soccer cleats), except for marathons.  And the problems only appear then, not on a 23mi/3hr run.

I've heard DryMax socks work pretty well from a few people who battle the problem.

Good luck!

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Thanks, Stadjak.  I thought the time on my feet "per session" might be part of it.  The blisters I get when walking can be just about anywhere and everywhere.  Particular hot spots are on the bottoms of my toes, ball of my foot, and all three sides of my heel.

There's a sock that comes up in my search that is almost like a second skin that you are supposed to wear under a regular sock.  Don't want to mention it and seem like I might be spamming, but some users have said they are hot and take some getting used to.  Would prefer to find a quality sock that would do the job.

Planning my second ever backpacking trip this summer and blisters almost derailed my first trip.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Per what Stadjak said, Smartwool or Injinji wool toe socks might be worth a try. Best of both worlds.

You could try a liner sock for sure. My experience with smartwool socks AND a liner is, the smartwool sock is really slippery and drives me nuts. So, I usually wear the Mountaineering sock without the liner. Now, I'm not sure you want to rock a thick sock like that in the summer with a pair of hiking boots. Your feet will get SOAKED from the inside of the boot. My current set up for spring, summer fall hiking is a pair of La Sportiva Wildcats and Darn Tough running socks, sometimes I wear an ankle style gaitor to keep sand and pebbles out of my shoes. I'm surprised that the balls of your feet get anihalated (spelling) while hiking, that sucks. Maybe hiking wears on your feet a little differently than running? I'd hate to see your backpacking trip wrecked due to blisters. Maybe try the liner with a running sock. Take a look at some of the Darn Tough hiking socks, not quite as thick as the smartwool hiking socks either.

I was hoping MFN would weigh in.    I enjoy reading about your backpacking adventures.  I was 47 the first time I went and it was transformative.  Herniated disc since then has put the future in doubt, but I am hopeful to get out there again this summer.

Thanks to everyone for the insight and recommendations.  Gonna do some sock shopping once the dogs heal.

npaden

Are your feet sweating and getting wet and that's what is causing the blisters?

They make a special foot powder that helps with moisture that is a blister preventer that works really well for some people.

My feet sweat and I use wool socks with a liner when I hike.  It might sound counter intuitive wearing wool if your feet sweat, but the wool does a great job of wicking the moisture away from your feet and keeping them dry, especially with a thin liner sock.  There are also different quality wool socks, the smaller the piling the better the sock typically.  A good pair of wool socks can run over $20, but I usually can get them on sale if you watch for them.

Usually when I stop for lunch unless it is really cold I will take my boots off and let everything air out and dry a bit as well.  I also carry an extra pair of socks if they get really wet for some reason I will change them out.

If all that fails, duct tape in the problem areas works pretty well!

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

DoppleBock

Blisters are funny - I ran many 24 hour races in cotton socks without a single blister.  One of them it rained for 12 hours.  Now if I walk too much or my shoes / socks are not just right  (I klnow where drymax socks) I get blisters a couple of times a month.

I would guess it is either shoe related or gate / foot placement related.

Hi, all.  I've been a runner for most of the past 36 years and have never, ever had a problem with blisters.  Even back in high school in ratty shoes and cotton socks, I don't recall ever having blister issues.  Still true today.

However, when I hike or even go for a long walk (in the same shoes and socks in which I run) my feet get absolutely shredded.  Anyone have any ideas why I can run with no issues but walking tears my feet up?  When running is going well, I will run about 5 hours a week just to give you a "time on my feet" benchmark.  After about two hours of walking, I'm getting blisters.

Finally, suggestions on prevention in terms of socks?  I will try lubricants, but want to pick a good sock too.  I run and walk in Asics Kayanos.

Thanks!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Half Fanatic #846

FWIW - I've worn Wright Socks - double layered socks for my running (whenever I wear shoes, that is) for the last 8-10 years with no blisters or even hot spots during that time. They don't seem to be heavier than any other socks, and to me they breathe and wear well. I've worn them on trails, racing, and in the rain, too. The only issue I had with them is the big toe wearing a small hole in the end, but that was my fault for not keeping my nail trimmed properly. Good luck!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

GinnyinPA

Given the location of your blisters, it seems like your feet are sliding around too much in your shoes.  Perhaps try a sock with more padding? Or a shoe with a narrower heel?  Drying your feet out may help as well - antiperspirant or using rubbing alcohol works for some.

Way back when, in the days of leather boots, I wore liner socks under wool socks. I found I got more blisters with the liner, especially when they were old and losing elastic, than I did without the liner.  YMMV.    Darn Tough and Wright socks seem to be popular these days.  I always liked Thorlo or Wigwam  socks for hiking, but I can wear pretty much anything without too much trouble.