Just Started Running after 5 years, and back surgery 4 months ago! (Read 1444 times)

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

At 9:00 am it was already 82 degrees with 96% humidity! I could only run 2.5 miles No
    Don't feel bad. You'll bound to have a bad run day. With 96% humidity, you should be proud that you still went out instead of skipping it all together.
    Wingz

Professional Noob

P.S. My Running Log is now open for your viewing. Big grin
      Looks awesome! Keep up the good work! Got any races in sight yet? I think they're a lot of fun, plus it gives you something you can look back on and say something like, "See how much my 5K time has improved since last year?"

Roads were made for journeys...

No races yet, maybe in the fall. All of my runs are outside on the street with un-even roads and slight inclines, I run in a 1/2 mile circle. On my log is this type of running the "easy" course???? Undecided
        What we do in life, echo's in eternity. Maximus.
        Wingz

Professional Noob

No races yet, maybe in the fall. All of my runs are outside on the street with un-even roads and slight inclines, I run in a 1/2 mile circle. On my log is this type of running the "easy" course???? Undecided
          If I'm understanding you right, you're talking about the run "type" where it says "easy, fartlek, hill" etc... Is that what you're talking about? That refers to the kind of run you had, not the type of surface. An "easy" run is done just that way - easy. You're not in a hurry. You aren't trying to break any speed records. You may be judging it by pace or by heartrate. I use heartrate training and try to run everything between 125 bmp and 145 bpm. So mine are always "easy." But it wasn't "easy" until I slowed waaaaaaaay down! I don't know what the official time difference is between a "race pace," a "tempo pace," a "moderate pace," and an "easy pace." Perhaps some of the more experienced runners could answer that one. Janell

Bad news/Good news: I took a 3 day rest and today I felt great! I was running a 10.5 min/ mile pace going into the first 3.5 miles of my run when I started to feel a sharp pain in my right Achilles tendon. I had never had any kind of pain there before and did not take a bad step or anything, I slowed down and tried to run through it but pulled up and moved my foot around for about 15-20 sec then keep going. It bothered me off and on for the rest of my 5.2 mile run. I did my 5.2 miles in 1:00:42 which is still good considering I had slowed down after 3.5 miles, but if the pain had not happened I know I would have had a very good time. So instead of being upset about it I just kept running at a slower pace after my 5.2 miles and finshed running 7.7 miles in 1:37:40, I have never run more than 5.2 miles so I was happy to go 7.7! My Achilles tendon feels ok I think but I will Ice it today and see how it feels later. I still have no ideal why ot hurt or what happend, but Im proud that I could keep going and pull out a 7.7 mile run. Big grin
            Wingz

Professional Noob

Unfortunately it seems to take the body some time to get used to running. Injuries are a new runner's worst enemy... If you're running about a 10 minute mile now, why don't you try slowing down to about a 12 minute mile for a few weeks and see if that helps? It won't kill you not to push as hard as you possibly can every single time, and it might just help you from doing anything else... Just my $.02 Janell

Thanks for the advice! You seem to know a lot and have a true desire to help people here. Smile
                Wingz

Professional Noob

Thanks for the advice! You seem to know a lot and have a true desire to help people here. Smile
                  Appearances can be deceivning... Wink I've been running for about 9 months. Most of what I know about running and training I've learned from others far more knowledgable than me. The rest is from doing things the wrong way... I've always liked to learn things the hard way... Smile

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've always liked to learn things the hard way... Smile
                    You, too, 'eh? :P k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

30 days ago I started running, I weighed 251lbs and ran 1.7 miles. Today I weighed in at 233lbs and ran 10.2 miles in 2:19:40. I am so tired and happy at the same time, I know that I should not have increased my miles so much today but I felt good and just kept slowing my pace after the first 5 miles. The last 3 miles were Very slow but I kept going. My blood pressure and heart rate are fine, Im just tired and sore. The weather was just right for me to keep going, overcast, not to humid and a cool wind. I need to take a shower and cool off as well as get water back into my system and rest. Thank everyone fro reading this and helping me along the way!
                      Wingz

Professional Noob

Wow, you've made incredible progress. Give yourself a pat on the back and take the weekend off from running! Maybe next month you can join us in our "Virtual 5k?" (I really wouldn't try it this weekend because of that hugely-long-and-totally-awesome run you just did!) Janell

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow, Fat Man--you are my hero! I am so proud of you! I hope to be up to 10 miles by Fall, maybe...and I've been running since late March. Are you looking at marathons in your future? Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Thank you ladies! No races for me until Fall and then maybe a 5K or something.

You'll ruin your knees!

Hey FMR! Congrats on breaking the double digit mile barrier! Way to go! If you haven't already, you'll need to consider carrying water with you. You can either get the waist pack thingy that holds a bottle, or I prefer a handheld water bottle. You can find these at most running stores for about $10-12, bottle and handstrap in all! As the weather continues to warm up (95 and rising here), hydration is critical to continuing to enjoy your running experiences. I think you are doing really great, but don't forget to listen to your body (mine screams at me all the time!). Take care and keep on sharing the good news! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Thanks again everyone! The day after the 10 miler, I ran 5miles and took Saturday off (rained all day) So Sunday it was very overcast ,windy and cool. I was going to try a 10 mile run, just as I passed the 8 mile mark it started to rain so hard I could not see 2 feet in front of me! I was so mad! I had to stop a 8.3 miles and I was on track to beat my time for thursdays 10.2 mile run. Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry