3:20 Marathoners ... New and Improved for (the rest of) 2017 (Read 372 times)

Jim E

rlk - It was later that day. I was leaning over a seat in the van to grab something and my weight came on a hard edge, then pop, ow. (OK I said something stronger than ow) The rib in question is over my heart, so yes I'm being careful. On modifying workouts, I'm quite pleased when people modify mine. It means they are thinking about it rather than blindly following directions.

fb-guy

The bad news: I am injured a bit. I hurt a rib shortly after the race on Sunday and it hurts to breathe deeply. I can run at easy pace but anything else gets uncomfortable fast. I even tried a track session last night but quit after one set. Oh well, I just have to rack up some easy miles and wait it out I suppose. It does feel a little better today, so we'll see.

Jim -- I've had that injured rib things off and on over the years. Sometimes I can't even work out how I did it.

Do you have any theories on what causes it? It seems to take 3+ weeks to completely heal -- where it is difficult to breath and it hurts sleeping at night.

Inquiring minds....

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I'm not sure why I'm so "meh" about running right now. I didn't exactly expect this feeling but I fully expected the massive reduction in miles. I'll have to figure out the logistics of getting back into running while also having a kid. Maybe I'll start with 30 MPW and at least one "long" weekend run again.

Maybe because you have so much going on?  And it can also be one of those things where, when you get out of the habit, it's hard to get back in.

Jim - I hope the rib clears up soon. To you and FB - there's some fancy term for inflammation of the cartilage around the ribs - that's my suggestion for googling.

RLK -  in response to: "dwave- thanks!  given your high amount of knowledge and expertise with marathoning and how your body works, would you ever modify yuor coach's workouts to, for instance, get in longer track intervals like i did? i know you follow your coach's directives pretty strongly. our coaching is less individualized, so we have some people who modify things... "

a) thanks for the compliment - sincerely.

b) I'd get shoved off the track if I tried to extend the workouts.  I'm not joking.  My coach is present for all our workouts, timing them, and making judgement calls as to how many reps each person does.  If you try to add in an additional rep, he chases you down or alternately blocks the track in front of you when you come around.  Again, I'm not joking Smile

We'll have discussions beforehand and even during the workout as to how much I do.  Sometimes I'll finish a recovery jog and line up for the next interval only to be told that I'm done (that's always a bit deflating).  The final call on how much I do is always his.

Pool-running and swimming today.  Was going to lift, but decided I didn't feel like it.  Gonna jog a few miles tomorrow.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

I haven't posted in forever. I ran 69.3 miles last week, but then my Achilles Tendonitis really started to flare up, so I ended up taking Monday-Wednesday of this week off completely. I ran easy on Thursday and then I did a workout yesterday, and I'm happy to say the Achilles tendons are doing good again! My marathon is two weeks from today, and I have messed up the schedule, so now my last long run (16 miles) is going to be on Monday.

Anyway, I was pleased to run a workout of 3 x 3 miles at HMP with 4-minute recovery jogs yesterday. Average pace for the HMP miles was 7:00, which was awesome. Admittedly, my legs were fresh and the weather was ideal. The workout felt great, not strained or anything and the Achilles were no worse for wear afterwards. Being able to run 9 miles at a pace of 7:00 during a workout and not feeling too beat up was a great confidence booster.

Regarding Shamrock: Not sure about the new course, but I think starting the marathon earlier was a must-do. I think it used to start at 8:30, which was crazy to me, especially with the half marathoners starting at 7:00.

Darkwave: I like your analysis of the heart rate data. It's a testament to your good pacing, I think, and that you really have optimized for a fast/strong finish. I think with many people their legs become the limiting factor so their HR might not get as high towards the end.

Climber: Your goals for Tuscan are almost identical to mine, pushed back a notch. My A goal is sub 3:18, B goal is sub 3:20, C goal is a PR (sub 3:21:54), D goal is to finish healthy. I think your goals for Tuscan are definitely attainable! Happy Birthday- my husband's birthday was on Wednesday.

Pesto: Hopefully you find a 5K to run soon. I agree that your fitness is amazing right now!

Something Clever: Good feedback on the 235, as that's the next model I'm going to get when my 220 dies. I was wondering how reliable the HR data was, and I didn't have high hopes. I've used wrist HRMs before that were not part of a watch, and they totally didn't work. This includes my FitBit. HR is always like 170 during easy runs.

RLK: Wow- those track workout paces are seriously impressive. You are going to kill CIM. Glad you found a replacement half. Can't wait to see you crush it.

Katia: I wear gloves in anything under 50! I can't imagine 43 without them. Darkwave has the same hand coldness problems I do.

AceHarris: Glad you are starting to feel recovered. I totally hear you about having a race that didn't go well and wanting to repeat! I think that if you are getting fitter than your coaching service is probably working. I think it's important to stick with a coach for a long time (several cycles) so they can build you up over time and figure out what works for you.

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

Katia - any weather below 55 is gloves weather for me.

Wow- you are 5 degrees warmer than me for the glove threshold. I use the Hot Hands warmers starting at 45.

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

Arvind Balaraman

Just completed the Bull city Half. This is my 3rd year in the race. the last 2 years i managed  1:38 and 1:34 respectively. My goal for this year as to beat the 1:34.

I had already run 2 22 milers last week 22 on Sat and 22 on Wed followed by a hill repeats on Friday. So was already tired and  had set my expectations low. The day was awesome starting at 55 degrees and 93 percent humidity. I saw the 7:00 min pacer and planned to be with him for the first 10 miles and then slow down to a 1:32/1:33 finish.

I started off with the pacers and they were running slightly faster 6:55 min pace. I followed them diligently. the course was hilly with rolling hills and an uphill finish. My shoe laces came off at mile 4. One f the pacers told me that to tie the laces and promised me to pace me back to the main group. I followed his instructions. True to his words he made sure that I joined the pace group back at mile 5. I followed the pace group till mile 11 and felt strong and broke loose. I finished 46 overall and Age group 4 with 1:30:47. This was a pleasant surprise and gives me confidence on my upcoming marathon Nov 11.

My Hr was also low and averaged around 139. Overall felt great at this race.Last year ended up as Age group 11 and this year Age group 4.

Arvind - that's a great result... congrats!   I've noticed a lot of great halves in the thick of marathon training (even without much taper).  You're in a great spot for your upcoming M.

My week:

• M: 90min XT
                • T: weights
                • W: 90min XT
                • Th: spin
                • F: 90mn XT
                • S 90min XT
                • S: 10 at 7:45

After 1mo without running, I finally felt good to go today...nice weather...I ran into a friend (training for the NYCM), and ran with her...much harder than I intended...not smart.  Hopefully I didn't re-aggravate my hip thing.

AceHarris

brew: what's the due date again?

arvind: way to go on that HM! That's great!

elizabeth: nice 3x3 workout!

I ended up winning the 5k my wife signed me up for.  First run since the marathon. It's the Race for the Cure 5k in town. Most people come to walk it, but there are a couple hundred runners as well. My goal was to run the first 2 miles around 6:00 pace, then drop it from there and see what happens.

Warmed up for about 2 miles.  Legs were saying, "See...we're okay."

Mile 1 - 6:03: felt easy, legs felt well recovered form marathon 6 days prior. Running in about 7th place.

Mile 2 - 6:09: still felt fine, running in 3rd place.

Mile 3 - 5:46: a couple small climbs, then down hill for the last .25 miles. Took the lead with a little over .25 to go.

Official Time: 18:29.43

Cooled down about a mile to a coffee shop, got an iced coffee, met my wife and friends to finish their walk, about 1.5 miles.

It was nice to finally get a 5k under my belt. It's been several years. Thinking I may be able to sneak under 18:00 if I get the chance later this year at another 5k.

Coaching: I think I'm going to take a break from the coaching til the end of the year. Baby #3 coming early to mid November, then holidays, etc. Plan on maybe joining back up with the coaching service in January. I did go through my Daniel's book today to see if I just wanted to do one of these plans. Any recommendations on how to start a new training cycle from one marathon to the next? If next marathon is 3/25 and I'm in good shape, meaning I can skip the build up phase. Looking at a 16 week cycle, meaning I'd start the real cycle in early December. Plan on running in November too, but we'll see what 3 kids looks like and how that affects training.

Even though I subscribe to this forum, I only get a notification email like every 15 posts. Seems kind of random.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Pesto

JimE - hope the rib is feeling better!

DkW - that sounds like a tough coach

e78 - great job on the 3x3! JD has quite a few of those type of work outs in this plans. I hated them at the beginning but have grown to like them actually. Good luck with the last 16-miler today and then to enjoy taper!

rovatti - hope the hip is doing fine. And quite a quick 10 miler!

ace - fantastic job on the 5K, ridiculously fast! Especially so close to the FM. I remembering reading somewhere that the last 4 km of a 5k should be painful. It didn't seem to be the case for you, so I'm sure you'll be able to lower the time.

RE Daniels, I think he has either 12, 18 or 26 week plans from what I remember. I find that skipping the building phase altogether may not be the best idea since the workouts are quite demanding and you may want to somehow ease into them, at least for the 2Q plan (18 weeks). This is still a fun program and I found that it's good if you have a busy schedule since it only requires serious running twice a week, between 1.5 and 3 hrs each session.

As to how to transition into a new plan, it may be a good idea to try to keep the mileage as close as possible to the first week of your plan for some weeks before you start. In my case, I'd like to keep the mileage above 30 mpw (hopefully closer to 40) and doing some speedwork maybe once a week until the new plan starts. The first week of the plan I intend to follow is in the 35-40 miles range, so that should be enough.

I'm still looking for a 5k. There is one here this weekend, but we'll be in Krakow so won't be able to run. There's another one on November 18. I may give it a try, but I'm afraid (at least) part of my fitness will be gone by then. I've been eating too much lately.

Hi everyone! My week:

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                    Day Miles Pace Duration Description Link
                    Tue 7.5 8:46 1:05 Lunch Run strava
                    Wed 6.5 8:42 0:56 Lunch Run strava
                    Thu 4.9 8:53 0:43 Afternoon Run with V strava
                    Sat 6.2 8:47 0:54 Afternoon Run with V and off to the park to play strava
                    Sun 7.8 8:07 1:03 Spontaneous mini progression run strava
                      32.9 8:37 4:43    

Had to look after DD from Thursday to Sunday since DW went on a very well deserved trip to Paris with a friend. I got a nanny in order to go for a LR on Friday, but DD wouldn't separate from me even for a second. Even though she's always very keen to go play with other people, it wasn't the case this time. So, no LR for me, but still a lovely weekend with some quality time. Thursday and Saturday runs were with the stroller.

Have a great week everyone!

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

Arvind Balaraman

My Training last week. The next 3 weeks will be tapering for my Marathon

Day Miles Pace Description
                      Mon 11.02 8:17 Easy 11
                            Bootcamp 45 min
                      Tue     Foam Rolling 20 min
                            Spin Class 35 min
                        5 8:33 Treadmill running
                      Wed 22.01 8:06 Week 15 LSD
                            Foam Rolling 20 min
                      Thu     Foam rolling 15 min
                            Core workout 30 min
                      Fri     Foam Rolling 15 min
                            Spinning 45 min
                        7.2 8:54 Hill repeats
                      Sat 3.51 8:19 Easy 3
                      Sun 13.1 6:56 Bull city Half, 46 OA, AG4
                      Total 61.84    

Average weekly mileage last 15 weeks 55.33
                      pepperjack

pie man

The week that was

M- 8 medium

T - 8 (8x400, 400 rest -- somewhere in the neighborhood of 84s -- low volume + long rest = quicker reps)

W - 7 easy

T - URD (work)

F - 10 (the week's 'long run)

S - 8 (1.5 to the BRRC water stop, then 6.5 after helping)

S - 8am / 4pm (double since there was no true long run due to life)

T- 54

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Strict WTF adherent

Ace - great job at the 5k. That's one second faster than my PR though, so I don't know if I can be happy for you.

You probably know this, but every kid is different so there's really no way to plan for what #3 will bring. I had a relatively easy time, but #2 was a pain. The real trouble comes later, when you and the spouse can't be THREE places at once.

My week:

Mon - 6.6 easy and 2 dog

Tues - 6.9 easy and weights

Wed - 6 easy/strides (TURD on the weights)

Thurs - weights

Fri - 5.5 w/ 3 tempo-ish

Sat - 6 easy

Sun - 5.3 dog and 6.7 easy (consecutive)

Total - 45. Still building up...

Speed Surplus

Damn, that's a smokin' 5k, Ace.

I've been thinking about signing up for a race soon. I've only run ONE this year, a 5k back in March (19:20). I really have no idea what kind of shape I'm in after this weird year, but I feel like I should be around 19:40-20:00.

Last week:

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                            Day Miles Pace Description HR Egain Link
                            Tue 5.1 8:15 I'll take what I can get 150 249 strava
                            Wed 3.5 8:34 Treadmill quickie 143 0 strava
                            Thu 6.2 8:13 Donut for breakfast; 10k for lunch #balance 148 243 strava
                            Fri 6.4 8:23 Treadmill. Distance/pace slightly generous 150 0 strava
                            Sat 10.0 8:41 Fasted state. Not the most fun. 143 301 strava
                              31.2 8:27

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Jim E

My Week. An aborted track session was the only fast running I did (bad idea, as my rib reminded me), but I did get some miles in. I've been running to work lately. That does not really count as a double since I don't shower and change between runs.

When What Miles/pace
                              Mon Oct 16, 05:38 Recovery 4.57@10:00
                              Tue Oct 17, 04:34 Easy 7.54@9:24
                              Tue Oct 17, 07:32 Run to work 3.43@9:33
                              Wed Oct 18, 05:21 Easy 9.22@9:14
                              Wed Oct 18, 07:35 Run to work 3.44@9:28
                              Thu Oct 19, 05:34 Easy 6.10@9:26
                              Thu Oct 19, 07:32 Run to Work 3.39@9:29
                              Thu Oct 19, 19:07 Truncated track session 1.05 incl: 1 x (200 R, 600 I)
                              Fri Oct 20, 05:07 Easy 8.86@9:08
                              Fri Oct 20, 07:39 Run to Work 3.42@9:29
                              Sat Oct 21, 10:30 Trail Run 7.64@10:37
                              Sun Oct 22, 05:20 Long 21.00@7.0
                              Total miles: 79.8

Regarding Shamrock: Not sure about the new course, but I think starting the marathon earlier was a must-do. I think it used to start at 8:30, which was crazy to me, especially with the half marathoners starting at 7:00.

I agree.

DkW ~ Do you know what criteria your coach uses to shorten a workout? What do you think he sees? I try and use the 'always have 1-2 more reps in you' rule of thumb, but know I push through things I shouldn't.

Arvind ~ Congrats on HM.

Ace ~ Very nice 5K!

JimE ~ Strong week. Especially w/ a bum rib.

Ran my favorite race of the year yesterday -- a 5K XC on a beautiful course (at the Agricultural History Farm Park in MoCo); was nice to race -- although I got (slightly) Geezered.

PJ ~ Is the BRRC GPS XC race (next weekend) a real XC course ... open, grass; not a trail race in disguise? I can't go this year, but looking ahead ...