Need help adjusting training... (Read 446 times)

JMoRoadruNner

I am 3 weeks away from running my second half marathon, I was doing an intermediate training program (Hal Higdon's) - running 5 days a week with a day of speed training and a long run each week.  My problem is that I got sick and was unable to run for two weeks, so I finally got back on this past week, only running 4 days, with a very hard 8 mile run in the wind yesterday (totaling about 20 miles for the week). 

I am being realistic and realize that I need to adjust my goals for the half marathon, but I am not quite sure how to adjust the remaining three weeks of training... I think I am going to back down to just 4 runs per week, but what else should I do?  Do I increase my long run by 2 miles each week, having me run 12 miles the week before the race?  Should I get in more intermediate length runs (5-8 miles)?  

Any input would be great, thanks...

I am 3 weeks away from running my second half marathon, I was doing an intermediate training program (Hal Higdon's) - running 5 days a week with a day of speed training and a long run each week.  My problem is that I got sick and was unable to run for two weeks, so I finally got back on this past week, only running 4 days, with a very hard 8 mile run in the wind yesterday (totaling about 20 miles for the week). 

I am being realistic and realize that I need to adjust my goals for the half marathon, but I am not quite sure how to adjust the remaining three weeks of training... I think I am going to back down to just 4 runs per week, but what else should I do?  Do I increase my long run by 2 miles each week, having me run 12 miles the week before the race?  Should I get in more intermediate length runs (5-8 miles)?  

Any input would be great, thanks...

Don't worry about the 2-week sick-leave.  I don't know what Higdon's training calls for in the final few weeks but, if you're already up at 8-miles 3 weeks to go, maybe, depending on how you're progressing at this point, try 10 or so next week and that should be the FINAL long run.  You need to start what we call "Tapering".  The final 2 weeks should look more like 6-7 two weeks out, 5 or 6 miles the week before.  Again, I don't know what Higdon training calls for but throw something leg-stretching type workout like a few strides  on mid-week of the final week.

You should be fine; don't dwell on the lost workouts.  Good luck!!

JMoRoadruNner

Thanks for the advice... I needed to hear someone to tell me to taper, even though I feel like I still need to build up a bit more.  Thanks again...

I'm no expert, but I definitely think that the importance of the three R's can't be stressed well enough - Run, Rest, and Recover.
          I'm only training for a 5K, but I've already had two run-ins with overtraining in the past month. The first time, I increased mileage

by about 10 mi and increased intensity of threshold workouts simultaneously, resulting in quad injuries that almost prevented me

from running a tune-up race. A few weeks later, I ran 13.1 mi as my "long" run on top of an already high-mileage but low-intensity week.

Now, I have foot injuries and haven't been able to run in over a week. I learned my lesson.

if you're tired of starting over then stop giving up!