2021 Running Game -- INDIVIDUAL SignUps Open Until 12/31 (Teams Closed) (Read 182 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Please read before signing up! Smile

The 2020 Running Game is a group of runners looking to achieve a mileage goal (of any amount) for the coming year. If you've had trouble reaching mileage targets in the past or need a little extra push to get you where you would like to be, this club can help! With fellow members supporting them, many runners revised their lower mileage goals and reached goals that they never would have dreamed of.

Additionally, the 2020 Game has an optional team competition ("Head2Head") with members randomly assigned to teams with approximately equal balance (members & goal miles). The idea here is to help runners develop friendships, support each other, and have a little friendly competition. Our experience is that smaller groups organized as teams are very helpful in encouraging members to stick to their goals.

What do you get with your membership?

Weekly updates posted on RA with stats such as; weekly average needed to reach your goal, average weekly mileage, miles remaining, etc.

An enthusiastic and supportive group of runners to help you reach your goals in both your private team forum and the 2021 Game forum.

What do we ask from you?

A full year commitment to the game. Maintaining consistent participation is crucial for team balance and camaraderie.

A realistic mileage goal. Hopefully something that is challenging, but attainable. We use the goals to help make balanced teams. After January 1, you'll be able to adjust your goal one time before June 30 if needed. We ask for a mileage goal for the entire year. Goal/52 is your part of the weekly team goal. Everyone has high and low weeks, but that goal needs to be one that you are able to run.

Keep your running log up-to-date. If you don't keep your day-to-day running log on Running Ahead, we ask that you log on and track your total miles for the previous week no later than the following Tuesday. The posting deadline for the previous week is 10PM EST. After that, you can update your log but the miles will not count for your team.

Communication- Each team will create a system for team communication via Running Ahead. That could be via RA usergroup or a thread in the main 2020 forum. Teams may also choose to set up groups outside of RA, but no team member is required to go outside of RA in order to communicate with their team. Team members are strongly encouraged to participate in team discussions. Many runners find the extra encouragement from their teammates to be motivating and fun! Please join the 2021 main forum if you join the game even if your team has a group of its own. Admins will post game news and announcements in that forum.

Give advance notice to your team captain if you will be on an extended vacation, leave of absence, or need to be placed on Injured Reserve (IR). If you are in one of these categories, you will not have to worry about updating your log. Members who have not been in contact with their team captains or game admins and haven't updated their log for 3 consecutive weeks (or 2 weeks at the start of the year) can be moved to individual status for the remainder of the year.

To go on IR, you must have a 0 in the previous week results. The runner and captain must both make the request.

If you join the team game, please be a good team member, post your miles by the deadline and respond to any private messages from your team captains and/or admins.

If you do not post miles for 3 non-consecutive weeks without contacting the team captain, the captain can request a confidential team vote to remove you from the team.

No team member should be required to go outside of RA to communicate with their team.

Important Note: Decisions made or opinions expressed by the game admins are not necessarily those of RunningAHEAD, LLC, which is providing hosting for the game but NOT overseeing day to day operations. Also, running is dangerous and stuff. Please don't do anything that could compromise your health for the sake of a game!
    How to Sign Up
    Sign-ups start November 27at 12:01 AM and end December 13th at 11:59 PM for the Team games. Individual sign-ups end December 31st at 11:59 PM. The deadlines are final.

The Join Button will appear on the 2021 Game page after sign-ups start. Team generation and mileage counting are automated, so you need to be in the system for it to work.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

General Info/Contact
      Requirements- You can participate in the game as a team member or individual. To play, you need to keep your running log updated so that your workouts can count towards your yearly goal (and earn points for your team, if you're playing on a team). Runners in the team game need to respond to any private messages on Running Ahead from their team captains or the admins. You are not required to communicate outside of RA for this game.

Injured Reserve/Leave of Absence- If you're on a team and know that you're going to have 0 miles for any given week, let your team captain know. After you have a '0' in the previous week's results, they can let the admins know to place you on "injured reserve/leave of absence". Admins will only take IR requests from team captains, but we need to see the request from the runner. IR requests made after the new week has started can not be made until after results post; admins can not change IR status on Monday or Tuesday before results. While on Injured Reserve, your miles will not count for or against your team in the weekly competition. You will also not be dropped from your team due to inactivity. Let your captain know when you're ready to leave the Injured Reserve list as well.

Admin contact info- The game admins are stealth.rnr and CanadianMeg. If you have a question or need clarification, you can send them a PM or post in the 2020 usergroup. Send PM’s to both of us because we get vacations too. If we miss a message because it is just sent to one of us, the first admin to see it will respond.

Deadline- The competition week runs from Monday to Sunday, your local time. In order to be counted, workouts for the previous week need to be logged by Tuesday at 10 PM Eastern Time. Any changes made to your log after that time will not count towards your goal or for points for your team.

Modifying goals- You are allowed to change your yearly goal ONE TIME before June 30th. There will be a thread for goal changes in the usergroup, or you can let your captains or an admin know via PM. In exceptional circumstances (severe injury, etc), we may allow one additional change after the deadline at the discretion of the admins. Also, we reserve the right to modify goals if it appears that a user has set or changed to an artificially low goal (sandbagging). This would only be done in extreme cases.

Be smart in setting your goals. No one can coast through the first half of the year and jack up their goal later if they are starting a training cycle.

Team Membership

Captains- Each team selects two captains who keep up-to-date on game info and communicate news and updates to the team. Admins will communicate with captains if they have any questions or if there are any changes needed.

Team info- The 2020 game tab has a "My Team" tab that lets you see who is on your team as well as their goal and current miles for the week. The "Distance" column turns green for each member who has hit their distance goal for that week. Each runner's team goal is their yearly goal divided by 52.142857. That number does not change unless the runner makes a goal change. The "previous" button provides more info on how the team and individual members did during those weeks. NEW in 2020: there is no personal pace bunny in the game; to go green, you must hit Annual Goal/52.142857.

Communication- Each team will create a system for team communication via Running Ahead. That could be via RA usergroup or a thread in the main 2020 forum. Teams may also choose to set up groups outside of RA, but no team member is required to go outside of RA in order to communicate with their team. Team members are strongly encouraged to participate in team discussions. Many runners find the extra encouragement from their teammates to be motivating and fun!

Leaving the team- Joining the game is a year-long commitment, and teams work best when a core group of members stays together for the entire year. Runners are strongly discouraged from leaving the team once the year has started. Injured players can stay on the team for communication and support. Injured reserve players will not count for or against your team on the weekly matchups.

Dropping from team for non-posting- Any player who does not update his or her log for 3 consecutive weeks without notifying their team captain can be removed from the team at the captain's request. Removal requests made between Sunday night and Tuesday’s results will be completed once results have been posted.

Voting off a team member- If a team member has 3 or more non-consecutive weeks of 0 miles without notifying the captain, the captain may choose to initiate a vote to remove that member from the team. To initiate a vote, the captain would let the admins know. Admins will conduct the vote via Private Message. The admins do not initiate a vote without attempts having already been made by the team captains to contact the absent runner. The member will be removed once a majority of the team has voted "yes" to remove, or after a reasonable period of time if the majority of team members have voted "yes." The vote is confidential; even your team captain is not privy to how people voted, even if your team captain is an admin. (This is why admins will never be on the same team.)

Important Note Regarding Removed Players: If a runner is removed from their team for 3 weeks consecutive non-posting or voted off by their team, they will not be permitted to join the game the following year. Essentially, they are banned for one year. If a runner requests to have themselves removed from a team or changed to the individual game, they will have the option to join either the team or individual game the following year. The admins will keep a list with distinctions.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Stop in and see what the game is about.

Link to the 2020 Forum.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Only two days until sign-ups open! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Half Fanatic #9292. 

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

3rd day open and 26 people already signed up. Smile

Have you signed up yet? Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

Reminder, the goal you sign up with is for the entire year of 2021. Not the weekly goal you plan to run. A couple of people have signed up with a 15 to 20 mile goal. If this is you, go back to the sign up page and change it to the weekly x 52. We can't change it for you.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

One more week to sign up for next year's game!!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

Calling Sunflower747, please respond to your PM.

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

We need runners! Signups for the team game end this coming Sunday at 11:59 PM est.

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

I just signed up and this will be my rookie year with the game. I signed up for 1000 miles but I really don't have a clue if I am in the right area for an annual goal. My weekly mileage is very inconsistent throughout the year depending on whether or not I'm in a training cycle, anywhere from 3 miles to 35 miles per week. I guess this game will help me get more consistent with mileage throughout the year.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

I just signed up and this will be my rookie year with the game. I signed up for 1000 miles but I really don't have a clue if I am in the right area for an annual goal. My weekly mileage is very inconsistent throughout the year depending on whether or not I'm in a training cycle, anywhere from 3 miles to 35 miles per week. I guess this game will help me get more consistent with mileage throughout the year.

Welcome!

grapes

2020 was my first year. I feel like I really lucked out signing up, especially this year, when Covid left most of us with few motivations for training. It was great. I've already passed my previous most-miles-in-a-year record. No injuries to speak of either, maybe thanks to consistent daily running. The game's a lot of fun.

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

2020 was my first year. I feel like I really lucked out signing up, especially this year, when Covid left most of us with few motivations for training. It was great. I've already passed my previous most-miles-in-a-year record. No injuries to speak of either, maybe thanks to consistent daily running. The game's a lot of fun.

Good point. Having a team you are accountable to all year can give a little extra motivation when the calendar is empty.

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Are the points gained by the teams purely based on mileage alone? Are there any bonus points for breaking a PR for a certain distance or completing a major milestone like first marathon? I am just thinking about how the Tour De France has bonus points during the race to create other interesting competitions in addition to the overall champion.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10