Urgent help needed (Read 675 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I run the columbus marathon tomorrow and had to quck questions. Do you guys taking anything to help you sleep the night before a marathon like tylonel PM? Also, Sport Beans. I plan to eat these during the race. I want to take some every other mile to keep my energy level as consistent as possible. How many would you eat? I am thinking that I will eat 6 beans ever other mile. So I will end up eating one pack for every 5.5 miles. Does that sound right? Or should I just eat some every mile after say the first 3?
      2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
      I run the columbus marathon tomorrow and had to quck questions. Do you guys taking anything to help you sleep the night before a marathon like tylonel PM? Also, Sport Beans. I plan to eat these during the race. I want to take some every other mile to keep my energy level as consistent as possible. How many would you eat? I am thinking that I will eat 6 beans ever other mile. So I will end up eating one pack for every 5.5 miles. Does that sound right? Or should I just eat some every mile after say the first 3?
      I WOULDN"T take anything to help you sleep tonight!! As for the sports beans, I have no clue. Never tried them. GOOD LUCK!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Imminent Catastrophe

I wouldn't take anything to sleep either. Even if you don't sleep well it shouldn't hurt your performance too much, once you get going you'll feel OK. I PRed on almost no sleep at all. Go figure! Sport Beans--if you haven't used them in training, you probably shouldn't in the race. At any rate, figure 200 calories per hour MAX. If you run 4 hours, that would be 8 packs maximum, but if you're also drinking a sports drink you would have to include that in your calorie total. I would err on the side of less, since too much might give you a stomach ache or make you sick, which is much worse than a calorie deficit. So, your plan of one pack per 5 1/2 miles is in the ballpark. Eat them whenever is most comfortable for you, it's not an exact science. Good luck and let us know how it went!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Also, Sport Beans. I plan to eat these during the race. I want to take some every other mile to keep my energy level as consistent as possible. How many would you eat? I am thinking that I will eat 6 beans ever other mile. So I will end up eating one pack for every 5.5 miles. Does that sound right? Or should I just eat some every mile after say the first 3?
          I agree with Pam about not taking a sleep aid. Regarding the sports beans - I would do something close to whatever refueling techniques you used in training. I haven't done the beans either - I used Powerbar gels - one every 45 minutes seems to work fine for me so far.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Eat them whenever is most comfortable for you, it's not an exact science.
            Perfessers get to be perfessers cuz they're wise. I think everybody's a little different (except me, I'm a LOT different...) so you have to go with whatever has worked for you. I absolutely love Sport Beans because I can easily ration them during a race and have a gradual constant refueling process. I ran the course last week at long run pace with two packs, and that was probably a little light. I ran a 23 miler a couple of weeks before with three packs and until I started working through them they had my pockets flying to and fro which was a royal pain in the ass. For my race, I'm going to open the packs and fill two of them with as many beans from a third packet as I can fit. I'll just tape the tops down, and that will make it easier to open them when the time comes. Can't remember who on RA suggested that, but THANKS. I run/walk in 6/1 minute ratio and eat two or three beans at each walk break after about mile 8. I figure running out at any point after about mile 20 or so is OK, because anything you eat after that is probably not going to get processed in time to help you before the finish. As for sleeping, this is from Jeff Galloway the guy whose run/walk program I use:
            You may sleep well, or you may not. Don't worry about it if you don't sleep at all. Many runners I work with don't sleep at all the night before and have the best race of their lives. Of course, don't try to go sleepless...but if it happens, it's not usually a problem.
            I like his program, and can't say that he has steered me wrong yet. Deep breath, and repeat Daddyo's siggie over and over: The Marathon Race itself, is the victory lap. The real marathon is the training you do to get there. You've put in the time and miles, and you're ready to do this thing. Kick ass my friend, can't wait for the report. Modified to add: more marathon tips from Galloway at http://www.active.com/running/Articles/How_to_Run_Your_First_Marathon.htm

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Okay I hear ya loud and clear no sleeping aids. You got it. I forgot I will be taking gatorade as well so I really only need to take about 3 every other mile. I think I will just alternate or eat them as needed. Wow I can't believe the race is already here. I feel like I am so not ready for this. I need another month Smile I think I hate tapering it really messes with your confidence.
                2011 Goals:
                Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

No sleeping aids. It is now too late, but it is best to try to get your sleep two nights before since nobody sleeps the night before the race. I don't like the sports beans, so I cannot guide you.

No sleeping aids. It is now too late, but it is best to try to get your sleep two nights before since nobody sleeps the night before the race.
                  Sleep doesn't catch up with you for 36 hours, so it is two nights before your race where you need the quality shut eye. I wouldn't worry about it if you don't sleep well the night of; just make sure you get up when you are supposed to.

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Imminent Catastrophe

Just one more thing, maybe it's too late, but Mary Ann wanted me to add... Stay well-hydrated throughout the night but stop drinking an hour before the race. That way you won't be spending too much time in the portajohns...

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016