2:40 to 3:20 marathoners - Is there a dead zone? (Read 190 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I think some people subscribe to the "ice cream sundae" theory of training - the idea that the more you can pile on, the better (unless you pile on so much that it all topples over).

However, proper training is much more like baking a cake - it's about adding in the right things in the right proportions.  And too much makes the end result worse, not better.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

mikeymike

A sundae is a waste of good ice cream. Ice cream should be able to stand on its own with a minimum of toppings.

I'll die on this hill.

Runners run

So assume my 5k pace is 7:00 and my marathon pace is 9:00.

What I think this thread is telling me is that (i) substantially all of my running should be slower (maybe much slower) than 9 and (ii) I will get all or substantially all of the training benefits by running at that slower pace (say a 10:00  pace) as I would at running at marathon pace or quicker.

Thanks

(I realize I should know, but I may have been led astray at some point.)

Speed Surplus

So assume my 5k pace is 7:00 and my marathon pace is 9:00.

What I think this thread is telling me is that (i) substantially all of my running should be slower (maybe much slower) than 9 and (ii) I will get all or substantially all of the training benefits by running at that slower pace (say a 10:00  pace) as I would at running at marathon pace or quicker.

Thanks

(I realize I should know, but I may have been led astray at some point.)

Yeah, you don't want to do all or most of your training at marathon pace!

I'm anywhere from 40-100 seconds slower than my marathon pace PER MILE for my easy runs.

Heart rate is another good way to manage your effort if you track it regularly.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12