Lucky # 27 ? (Read 965 times)

Apprehensive, I am. Told myself not to, but I'm just so amazed and thankful. I'm posting anyway. In 2001, my last serious effort as a runner, the best result in a 5k was 21:01, then later a 21:11. Age 36 then. After about 6-8 months of running, I quit! Back to drinking and drugging. In 2005, tried again. Not serious and after only 3 months and a 23:? 5k, I disappeared again into darkness. Shorten this more. 2006, Mid-life Crisis. Hit rock bottom. Changed my life. Opened my eyes and heart. Came back home to God. Started running again October '06 with new found purpose and meaning. On March 10th '07, after training just over 5 months, I raced my 1st 5k. I wanted better than the 21:01 above^. Age 42 now and far better than I deserve after such low mileage and time, I ran 21: 27. Small race[103], no one around to pace-off, no splits and lost on the course. Still, 1st in A.G. and the potential to go Sub 21 next time. Saturday"the next time", I raced again. When I got my number, I liked it. A two-digit # instead of the usual 3,4 or 5 digit #'s I've always been given. #27.Was this a sign? Did they somehow think I was a contender or something? That wasn't the case, but I liked the number! The Sunday before I had gone out and ran the 5k course twice to know.. when to go/when not. Hillier than the earlier race, I was not optimistic about a PR and mentally checked off that goal till April 14th race in Nashville. And after a hard"overtime"week at work, suffering dehydration and increased mileage, I checked this race off as training. Shorten again. Warm-up sucked. Heart rate higher than normal. Legs heavy, no bounce in my steps. Stretched and walked to the line. Took off keeping close contact with the leaders, as usual too fast, running 1stm in 6:15. Felt like I was blowing up from there to the finish. But if I could recoup, and hold tempo at 91%HR, sub-21 was still a possibility. Though I wanted to quit [I hate fighting that mental crap] and slowed to 6:50 for the second mile, I knew the beginning and end of this last mile were fast with only 2 long, gradual rises in the middle. I could not see the finish, but yet I could now see the finish in my head. Every turn and rise and at the top of that last rise with RA mapping help, just .34 to finish. Time to max-out! Time for those hard 800's to pay off! No one but a under-14 boy, who had been my rabbit for the last mile, was there. I told him, "Last hill. At the top, it's time to go." He couldn't. I did. No one to catch at the finish, but a dream. Looking over at the clock at the line, I read what I could not believe. I punched my watch and it read 20:27. I just dropped a full minute from March 10th 5k. Thankfully, I received 2nd place MASTERS and a $30 gift certificate. Awesome! Never received money before. Amazed I am. What a shock! All-time adult PR. Next stop, my teen PR of 17:51. Did I do it? I think not. I give our God all the glory And tonight when I looked up the verse to put as my signature, it inspired me to write this because it was verse 27. Surprised

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

#27 - It wasn't "luck". Smile Congratulations on a powerful race, very inspirational.

Michelle

va

...I give our God all the the glory... 27.
        Wow, God has blessed you! Great race report and an incredible accomplishment. Congratulations.

You'll ruin your knees!

Apprehensive, I am. 27.
          Yoda? Kidding! Great race, awesome time, appropriate recognition! Proud of you, we are. Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

bas

Good for you! bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

Yoda? Proud of you, we are. Lynn B
              Yea, I was intentionally being like Yoda. "Don't try...doooo". Laugh you made me. Good for me that is. Big grin I'm verrry bashful. I just don't understand why it even happens in front of this monitor. I'll try posting more. Specially if I get some responses like these from you. Thank you Mississippi, va123, Lynn and bas. Feedback feels nice. And note to self: congratulate others...in their efforts. May the Force God be with you.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

I'm verrry bashful. I just don't understand why it even happens in front of this monitor. I'll try posting more. May the Force God be with you.
                Look for you we will. Congrats on your great race!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

God Bless! Great race!!! I can't even think that fast!!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That's really awesome! And you are FAST! Don't quit running this time! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Great report!! Congratulations!! Lucky?? I don't think so!! Wink