Allergic to Energy Gels? (Read 155 times)

Julia1971

I've decided to try to diagnosis this strange feeling I get in my throat on some of my long runs.  I think it might be a mild food allergy but I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.  Is it possible to be allergic to energy gels?

In the later stages of some of my long runs, I get a numbness in the back of my mouth/throat.  I wish I could describe it in more detail but it feels like I got a shot of Novacane in the back of my throat.

This doesn't happen on every run.  I notice it mostly on runs where I've taken a Gu/Clif Shot.

I thought maybe it could be cold air but it happened today and the air temperatures were in the mid-50s.

I also thought maybe it could be asthma.  But, it didn't feel like I couldn't breath and my airway was closing.  It's just numb.  (FWIW, a few years ago, I had a pretty extensive exam from an ENT.  Based on my scans, he didn't understand why I wasn't complaining about breathing problems.  I also had an allergy panel done and I'm allergic to everything - pets, grass, trees, mold).

I suppose the solution might be to stop taking Gu and see if it ever happens again.  But, is this what a food allergy feels like?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I would think if you had an actual food allergy that you'd develop hives and/or intestinal dysfunction...at least this is what happens when I eat crustaceans.  Allergy testing confirmed that I'm allergic to shrimp/crab/lobster (why in hell could I not be allergic to chicken?  I don't really even like chicken, but I love all shellfish).

Maybe the issue is the extra stress of longer workouts?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Julia1971

I would think if you had an actual food allergy that you'd develop hives and/or intestinal dysfunction...at least this is what happens when I eat crustaceans.  Allergy testing confirmed that I'm allergic to shrimp/crab/lobster (why in hell could I not be allergic to chicken?  I don't really even like chicken, but I love all shellfish).

Maybe the issue is the extra stress of longer workouts?

That makes sense.  It's definitely not itchy like I'd expect from an allergic reaction.  I have trouble processing gels - I've never been able to eat more than 3 during a race - but I've chalked that up to "Gu gut".

I'll definitely schedule an appointment with my ENT.  He'll feel so vindicated if it turns out I really do have asthma.

Have you tried other kind of gels other than Gu or Clif Shot?

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

Julia1971

Have you tried other kind of gels other than Gu or Clif Shot?

No.  I'm pretty sure I've only had those two brands...  I've never tolerated energy gels well.  For my first couple of marathons, I ate Shot Bloks but tried to transition to gels because they're more compact and easier to carry.  But, they've never gone down well.  I did 3 at Boston this year and was really proud of myself.  Usually, I'm lucky if I can do two...  At first, I thought the correlation was the caffeine - so I only take the energy gels without it (which is getting harder to find, BTW).  But, the Clif Shot I had today was caffeine-free.

Looking at the ingredients, I can't see anything that would be an allergen.  It's all sugar.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I think just that intense hit of sugar can have a numbing effect...

MTA: I try to take in some water as soon as possible after a GU.

JanaLamb

Have you tried checking if the gels had some components that you might be allergic to? Better keep in mind the additives that might be in there. Check out some other brands too.

Increase Speed and Stamina Blog

Julia1971

Have you tried checking if the gels had some components that you might be allergic to? Better keep in mind the additives that might be in there. Check out some other brands too.

It seems like most of them have maltodextrin as the main ingredient, which seems to be derived from corn. I found a thread on a bike forum re intolerance to that ingredient.  I'm not having that type of reaction, though.

I booked an appointment with my ENT for next week.  The more I read and think about it, the more I'm guessing it's some type of asthma problem.  Perhaps allergy related.  It's just weird, though, that I don't think I've ever had this problem on any of my other runs.  I did a ton of tempo running and interval workouts this fall, for example, and I don't think this happened.  It seems to always be long runs when I have a gel.  (I'm also going to download and search my log notes to see if my sense for when this is happening is correct).

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I booked an appointment with my ENT for next week.  The more I read and think about it, the more I'm guessing it's some type of asthma problem.  Perhaps allergy related.  It's just weird, though, that I don't think I've ever had this problem on any of my other runs.  I did a ton of tempo running and interval workouts this fall, for example, and I don't think this happened.  It seems to always be long runs when I have a gel.  (I'm also going to download and search my log notes to see if my sense for when this is happening is correct).

Could be exercise-induced asthma, given the conditions when you're having issues (during workouts).  But I'd think EIA would give you issues during speed workouts moreso than LSD runs.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Asthma is lower airway, not back of "throat" issues, and you certainly wouldn't be running during an asthma attack. Possible food allergies?who knows. Good luck though.

SpartanTraining

I know the strange feeling you got from taking the SIS gels. I decided to buy some and try them before my race next week and not long after I took the gel my throat was excruciatingly painful nothing I've ever experienced before I have no allergic reaction to anything.

Any allergies to food coloring?  I have a runner friend who has to avoid all energy drinks and gels with any food coloring in them.  I think he's had good results using a maple-based energy "gel".  You might try the plain honey "stinger" gels.  Just a thought.

OneidaMorrison

Nice and wonderful blog.

Julia1971

Nice and wonderful blog.

Thanks!  (I just posted a year end review if you want to save yourself some reading time.)

On this topic, if anyone is curious, I just stopped using Gu brand gels.  I've been using CrankSports gels and am happy with them.

BeeRunB

I suppose the solution might be to stop taking Gu and see if it ever happens again.  But, is this what a food allergy feels like?

You aren't using CocaGoo are you? (coca leaf infused gels--created originally for running the Machu Picchu UltraMarathon & 5k)

But seriously, not doing the GU would be my first step to rule out an allergy. I'm sure a Googling will give you a list of possible symptoms from food allergies other than the usual hives, puffing up, etc.