New 5K PR by over 2 mins - SonRise 5K in Plano, TX (Read 795 times)

derek

Last Sunday I ran a 5K in 27:52. I was so close to placing in my age group, and while I think ran the best race I could on that day, I wanted to do better. I entered another 5K for today, just 6 days later, and I bettered my PR by over 2 mins. I ran 25:31!! Next step is to break 25 mins. I still didn't place in my age group though....I was 4th. I'm very tempted to run another one next Saturday to see if I can break 25 mins. That would be a great boost just before I start my marathon training. This 5K that I did today was chip timed, but it was the smallest race I've run. It was fun though and I'm really excited about my new PR. Obviously I didn't get 2 mins faster in 6 days. I think I'm getting better at the phsycological aspect and willing to push on even though everything hurts. In last week's 5K, I stopped to walk at least 4-5 times. Today, I only walked twice. I was able to hold an 8-min pace for the first 2 miles. The 3rd mile was tougher.

Derek

Nice Job! Great improvement.
      mikeymike

That is awesome work, derek. I think you're right that 2 minutes didn't all come from improved fitness in that amount of time--you are learning how to race and getting closer to hitting your potential right now. But you are actually getting some good workouts by racing these 5K's--so some of it is coming from that too. The trick is knowing when you've gotten all you can out of a block of training and when it's time to go back to base. I don't think it's a bad idea to run one more 5K to see if you can crack 25 before you back to marathon base building. If you could hit 8:15's for the first 2 miles you might be surprised what happens in that last mile. Great stuff!

Runners run

Two minutes off of a 5K is awesome! Great job! Smile
          2009: BQ?
          va

Congrats Derek, nice time!!!

Prophet!

excellent race Derek...i'm sure sub 25 min is within reach. Go for it.
                Obviously I didn't get 2 mins faster in 6 days. I think I'm getting better at the phsycological aspect and willing to push on even though everything hurts. In last week's 5K, I stopped to walk at least 4-5 times. Today, I only walked twice. I was able to hold an 8-min pace for the first 2 miles. The 3rd mile was tougher.
                Pretty soon you will figure out what your recovery pace is so you don't have to walk at all. It took me a while to learn that I don't have to walk to recover or catch my breath if I push too hard. I know now that I can run at an 8:15 - 8:30 pace and I will get my breath back and not have to walk at all. I tell this to people at work when they go running and end up walking that a light jog will keep them moving but have the same recovery effect as walking. Jim
                  I think you're right that 2 minutes didn't all come from improved fitness in that amount of time--you are learning how to race and getting closer to hitting your potential right now.
                  I agree. Good race! I bet that the next one will be under 25 for sure! Smile

Michelle

Dog-Love

Once you break 25...then it really gets motivating to knock the seconds off. Great job!
                    Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                      Congrats! I am about a decade younger than you, I broke my first 25 (not by much) for a 5k 3 weeks ago. A week later, under worse conditions (muddy as heck), I pulled a 4 miler at an 8 minute/mile pace and medaled first for my division. What are you using to set your base pace? A virtual racer on you GPS watch? Have you thought about doing the Half Marathon (Runaway Train) over on the Dallas side of the Metroplex next week? http://www.thrustonracing.com/

Vim

derek

What are you using to set your base pace? A virtual racer on you GPS watch?
                        I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you referring to the pace I decide to run the 5K at? Or how do I monitor my pace? To monitor my pace, I just use the pace readout on my Forerunner. I would just glance it at every min or so to make sure it is at the pace I want to be at. I guess I could use the virtual racer, but I have enough to worry about during the race. Picking the pace I want to run at is tough. I don't have a lot of racing experience. I took some advice from mikeymike recently. He mentioned that a lot of people that start running later in life don't know how to race. He suggested that you just try and go all out and not care if you die. I am definitely one of those that didn't know how to race. For my first 2 races, I went our very conservatively as I didn't want to not be able to finish the race. I ran both at just a smidgen faster than my everyday "easy" training runs. For the last 2 5Ks I decided that I would love to break 25 mins and to do that, I need to run an 8min pace so I my goal was to go out at that pace and hold it for a long as I could. I was able to hold it for just 1 mile in the 5K last weekend and I was able to hold it for 2 miles yesterday. I know this isn't the most efficient way to run the race and most people recommend even splits, but by running this way, I can set a goal of holding that pace for longer and longer. Eventually I'll be able to hold it for the entire 3.1 miles.
                        Have you thought about doing the Half Marathon (Runaway Train) over on the Dallas side of the Metroplex next week?
                        I saw that race while looking for another 5K next weekend, but I don't want to run a race as long as a half-marathon within training specifically for it. I could do it as a long run, but I'm the kind of person that if I enter a race, I will want to run it as best or as fast as I can. My goal race for the year is really the Chicago Marathon in Oct and I start training specifically for that towards the end of April.

Derek

You'll ruin your knees!

Hey Derek! WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!! Awesome job and yes, you do get smarter about racing and that absolutely cuts time off your run! You'll be sub-25 before you know it! Congrats, Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

I was just curious how you set your pace. I have been tracking my pace using my watch with mile markers. I also find it useful to find someone else who runs at a similar pace to mine. Over on the Westside of Fort Worth, there is going to be a "Hit the Bricks" 5K race (run is along Camp Bowie). http://www.hitthebricks.com/ "He suggested that you just try and go all out and not care if you die." If I went all out, I would get sick (or at least my brain says that!). Again, way to go on the 5K.

Vim

Congrats derek! That's just phenomenal! And of course you got faster in 6 days. You walked less, faster pace, hence you got faster, give yourself credit. I can't wait to see how long it takes to crack 25, I bet you'll get it awfully quickly as you are super motivated!
                                Nice work, Derek.