Marathon shoe question (Read 938 times)

Thanks for everyones input. I think the new shoes finally are getting broke in. After about 30 miles they feel ok. Still not the same as the Triax 10's felt when new. I never had to break them in, they always felt great right out of the box. Being a relative newbie I find it very interesting that the slightest difference in shoes can really make a big difference. Or maybe I am just mental after 17 weeks of training.

Marathon Maniac #3309

I am in my taper for Chicago. I have been wearing Nike Structure Triax 11's and 10's for all my training. The 10's just hit the 500 mile range, so those unfortunately have been retired. I loved those shoes. Ever since I got my 11's I really have not been happy with them.
      So funny I came across this thread. I also loved my Nike Triax 10's, but the 11's really really messed me up, and they killed my feet while running and I almost injured myself. I actually like the 9's the best, but the 10's were close and ok. After being re-examined at my running shoe store, they suggested Nike Pegasus 25 and I love these shoes, and my feet and heel pain went away....they did say Nike changed the 11's considerably and they have had a lot of complaints like mine. Good luck finding a solution...and I would probably run in the 10's with the 500 miles on them if I had to choose. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

My legs are killing me

Or maybe I am just mental after 17 weeks of training.
        We're all mental after 17 weeks of training. Good luck on your race!
          So funny I came across this thread. I also loved my Nike Triax 10's, but the 11's really really messed me up, and they killed my feet while running and I almost injured myself. I actually like the 9's the best, but the 10's were close and ok. After being re-examined at my running shoe store, they suggested Nike Pegasus 25 and I love these shoes, and my feet and heel pain went away....they did say Nike changed the 11's considerably and they have had a lot of complaints like mine. Good luck finding a solution...and I would probably run in the 10's with the 500 miles on them if I had to choose. Tim
          Yep same issues for me with the 11's. I knew going in they narrowed the toe box a bit, but I never thought just that would make such a difference. I will check into the Pegasus 25's after the marathon. Are those motion controlled? I am a slight overpronater.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Believe it not, I was considered a over pronater too. The Nike Pegasus's are a neutral shoe and my running shoe tech told me the Nike 11's were making my pronation problems worse. He said most people do better WITHOUT motion control or structure fit running shoes. With my Nike 11's, the shoe was causing me NOT to pronate enough, which is a part of the shock absorption of the feet and legs (too much arch support)...if that makes any sense. I love my Nike Pegasus's and running has never been better...but what works for one, may not be best for all. My coach told me these are one of the better shoes that Nike makes. Good luck, Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

red76nj

when in doubt....ebay... http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MENS-NIKE-AIR-AIR-ZOOM-STRUCTURE-TRIAX-10-SHOES_W0QQitemZ370092710486QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item370092710486&_trkparms=72%3A1207%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14