Alex Hutchinson and Tim Noakes on twitter (Read 191 times)

JKro

Is anyone following either of these on twitter? seen them speaking about the 'EOA conference' they are speaking at? It's caught my attention, just wondering if anyones knows any more details?

thanks

Feeling the growl again

Twitter and Noakes...two things I avoid like the plague.  Big grin

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Doesn't twitter have something like a 140 character limit? (I'm not on twitter) Noakes? 140 characters? might be interesting.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

some call me Tim

lol, you guys should take your show on the road

dennrunner

lol, you guys should take your show on the road

I don't know, but I believe AK is mainly a trail type of person.

I have been following Alex Hutchinson for a while now.

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

JKro

I have been following Alex Hutchinson for a while now.

I have as well. I'm considering taking advantage of this early bird special. too many great speakers to pass up. It's online and speaker talks can be reviewed at any time after the conference is over - which is a big thing for me since I am busy most week days..

JKro

For those that are interested, there is less than 2 weeks left to take advantage of the earlybird special. I've done my registration, can't wait!

JPF

Twitter and Noakes...two things I avoid like the plague.  Big grin

I'm curious about your disapproval of Noakes.

Edit: nm, I see you're on record here about it, unless you really want to post again about it Trent-and-NSAIDs style.

TripleBock

*  No salt suppliment needed

*  Drink to thirst

As a heavy sweater - Personal experience has proven following his advice would ruin any race I enter or workout I do that is > 100 minutes.

I weigh before and after each workout and on warm or humid days a pound per mile is not that difficult.  To train and race well, I have to drink more than to thirst and take supplimental salt / electrolytes when needed.

I do believe Noakes that over salting just increases your salt depletion rate ~ Basically your sweat will have a higher amount of salt in it.

I also believe that people shoiuld just take Noakes as one study, one conclusion in the world of hundreds and thousands.  They need to experiement and do what works for them.  But if they take one study as gospel and refuse to opentheir minds to other possibilities they are going down a potentially dangerous path.

From personal experience there are only 3 choices:  1)  I misinterpret his study, 2)  His study is flawed or 3)  I am an outlyer and it does not work for me.  Salt does many wonderful things for me in long ultras.

I'm curious about your disapproval of Noakes.

Edit: nm, I see you're on record here about it, unless you really want to post again about it Trent-and-NSAIDs style.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

Salt and sweat rates vary by individual.

I usually supplement for runs longer than 13 miles, especially when its warmer. This past weekend I was out of my usual supplement. I put 3 packs of the salt from your typical carry out place in my water bottle. Worked great for my 16 miler. No issues. Think it may have actually worked better, absorbed quicker? I'll try this experiment again on this weekends 18 miler.

Get off my porch