Newbies...Listen to these folks...Their Advice helped me today (Read 777 times)

I have been running for about 2 weeks. Over the last 10 years I have started and stopped running several times, usually because I suffer some sort of injury that sidelines me for a few weeks...life happens and the weeks turn to years. Well, went to family reunion today and ate way too much. We got home and I thought I needed to hit the track to burn off some of those calories. I set out. I had a 6 mile run in mind, I have been running 4...so this was a bold attempt. At 3 miles my legs started aching. I tried to keep running to see if it went away. After another half mile it had gotten worse. I could tough it out another 1/2 mile I thought, but it was going to hurt bad and I would probaly be sidelined for at least a few days. So, I fought my pride...remembered some things I read on here...then I stopped and started walking. I finished the 4th mile then started jogging every now and then, but mostly a brisk walk. Three things happened. 1) I finished 6 miles 2) I realized at about 4 1/2 miles that if I would have gone the other route, I would have already been back home...sitting on the couch...watching football...putting calories back in. Instead, I was still burning calories and would continue to do so for another 30 minutes. 3) I will wake up in the morning ready to run again...Mentally and Physically Thanks for all the stuff I have read on here about how to prevent injury.
    2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)

Princess Cancer Pants

Nice work, Ben! Yep, there are some wise peeps around here. I have applied a lot of what I have learned here to my own running and it has kept me (mostly) injury-free and consistenly on the roads. Smile k

'17 Goals:

• Chemo

• Chemo-Radiation

• Surgery

• Return to kicking my own ass by 2018

She was not strong. She was valiant. Radiant. Brave and broken. The beauty she discovered in the aftermath was unparalleled to anything she had known before, because it had come at such a cost.

~ Unknown

Another Passion

Way to go Ben! Way to be smart.

Rick
        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Congratulation on 6 miles. These people not only have a lot of great advice but provide some really great inspiration to keep you going.

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

Fighting the pride... boy, do I know that one. Pride is usually the predecessor of "How could I be so stupid??" Big grin Congratulations on your new milestone. You're right, there are a lot of good and knowledgable folks of all ability levels on this site. Keep up the good work!

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Nice work; looking forward to hearing about the first 8 and 10 milers now... Big grin

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Thanks guys. I rested today...I had run 5 days this week, so I believe I needed it. I was going to go for a short 2 mile run this afternoon, but I fell asleep holding my 3 yr old son and chose a nap with my little buddy. So, my legs are under me...I feel GREAT, and most of my soreness is gone. I am ready to hit the pavement in the morning for a 4.5 mile run (I'm upping it a half mile, and see how my body feels).
                2008 GOALS GET BELOW 175 (at 175 now) RUN 6:00 MILE (at 6:29) RUN BELOW 25:30 5K RUN BELOW 55:00 10K RUN A MARATHON (DEC. 6TH - MEMPHIS - ST JUDE)