Somehow have switched to an unnatural gate. Any thoughts on why this has happened? (Read 841 times)

I am a long time, middle of the pack runner.

Over the last year something has happened to my gate and it does not feel right.

Somehow I am landing more on the ball of my foot.  The way it does it  make it feel like I am breaking each time my foot hits the ground.

I have to concentrate to use more of my foot which seems to generate more power in my stride.

I have had my worst year ever running and want to put it behind me!

Any thoughts on why what came so naturally for years feels so forced now?  

Thank in advance! 

Goals: Marathon: break 3:40 Half marathon: break 1:42 10K: break 45:00 8 K: break 37:30

Changes in gait aren't necessarily bad, I 'm pretty sure it was spaniel that said something along the lines of "your body is exquisitely lazy and will naturally find your most efficient stride".

Have you made any major changes to your mileage (weekly total, or longest of the week, or...) or shoes, or types of workouts, or....

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

L Train

Maybe some imbalance in your hips (tight psoas, SI joint, etc.)?  I know I've been dragging my left foot over the last 6 months, and I'm pretty sure the issue is in these areas.  Just a thought. 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

...and thinking about it probably only makes it worse.  Just relax and run.

#artbydmcbride

I am a long time, middle of the pack runner.

Over the last year something has happened to my gate and it does not feel right.

Somehow I am landing more on the ball of my foot.  The way it does it  make it feel like I am breaking each time my foot hits the ground.

I have to concentrate to use more of my foot which seems to generate more power in my stride.

I have had my worst year ever running and want to put it behind me!

Any thoughts on why what came so naturally for years feels so forced now?  

Thank in advance! 

Isn't this what folks are paying Chi running coaches money to make them do?   Big grin

Runners run

I know exactly what you're talking about.  I do that too (land on my forefoot and dig it into the ground), especially when my legs are tired, which is exactly the worst time to do it.

Unlike you, however, I think I've always run this way, even going back to my high school track days.  So, for me, I think it may have to do with my left leg being a bit longer than my right (I always land and plant with my left foot, never my right).

I think it also has to do with over-striding.  If you picture it in your mind, when your foot lands beneath your body, there's no way to plant your foot. So if you focus on shortening your stride, and landing with your foot more under your hips than in front of them, you shouldn't be able to land and plant.

"It's hard to dance with a devil on your back, so shake him off, oh wo-oh!" - Florence Welch (Florence + The Machine) - Shake It Out

Why is it sideways?

I noticed you run in the ASICS Nimbus 13. I believe that like many shoes in the market, this is a shoe that is going more "minimal." What this means is that the heel is being cut down in order that there is less difference between the heel and the toe. This would lead to exactly the different sort of feel that you are talking about.

A shoe I was using, NB 890, was recently changed in exactly this fashion. I find it odd that manufacturers would mess with a shoe in these ways, but so it goes.

You might look for a shoe with a bigger "heel-to-toe drop" if you don't like the feel of these shoes.

Wow!  Thanks to everyone for taking the time.

As for changes to my workouts, I was doing lots of 50Ks, a 50 miler and 70 miler.  All of them were hilly.  I wondered it maybe it had something to do with muslce tightness......however, that was last summer.  My milage has been considerably lower over the last 8 months.

I totally agree with shortening my stride, relaxing more and examining my shoe.

Maybe this is the dawn of a whole new level of performance?  Oh yeah, if I lose 5 pounds, do more strength and speedwork etc......

Thanks again to all of you for responding.

Goals: Marathon: break 3:40 Half marathon: break 1:42 10K: break 45:00 8 K: break 37:30

SMART Approach

I thgink your lower miles clearly is reason for your reduced fitness/race times. Your program is not balanced well with generally 60% of your weekly miles coming from one long run. How you land won't drop your performance a huge amount. You need more mid week miles.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

bhearn

An unnatural gate:

Sorry, it had to be done.

Very funny!  Yikes I guess I meant  "gait", not "gate".  It is a beauty!

Thearn, I so know my race time are slow because I'm not running enough.  As I start to ramp things up I get increasingly annoyed/frutrated by by awkward foot strike - used to seem so much more natural!

That being said,  I love the challenge.

Thanks!