Flat footed supinator? (Read 72 times)

pgb205

1. Two separate podiatrists confirm that I have flat feet.

2. Shoes are badly warn on the outside edges, especially at the heels (badly worn!).

I experience pain at the outer heel in left foot only where the most wear is on the shoe.

The only clue of how the above combination is possible is that podiatrist mentioned that I compensate for flat arches by walking on the outer edge of the foot.

Having said the above what shoes or orthotic should I chose?

My opinions, from a supinator:

I'd try to avoid orthotics if possible, they mess with other mechanics, and could be especially harmful for low arches, further reducing their range of movement. Think of your arch as a leaf spring on a car, it needs to flex to absorb the shock.

Excessive shoe wear isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's wearing at the point of contact and the more it wears the larger the contact patch will be, and thus the softer the landing. Up to a point, obviously is the midsole is worn halfway through the shoes are "done".

Going through shoes faster than other people is the curse of supinators, just accept it and seek out ways to buy shoes at reduced cost.

For low arches, you can try Superfeet Black or Yellow insoles in place of the ones that came with your shoes.

The real issue is how much your ankle is rolling/moving laterally between your foot plant and takeoff, if at all. If you have a less-than-perfect footstrike but your ankle is fairly stable, you don't have too many worries. If it's rolling laterally, you can develop some nasty overuse injuries.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Bob S.

I also am flat footed and wear out my shoes on the outer edge - when walking.  When I first started running, I assumed that the wear pattern on my everyday shoes would tell me what type of running show I would need - that I a huge mistake on my part and I ended up with lots of injuries.

Once I had my gait analyzed at a running shoe store, I found the correct shoes that worked for me. When I run, I am an over pronator (ankles roll in), so I wear a motion control shoe (Mizuno Paradox)

Bob S.

Eisenmench

<3's heckin long zoomies

I was fitted for shoes with specialized insoles. They ended up causing a sharp pain in my foot where the insole was supposed to help with my arch. I ended up ditching them (but using the recommended shoes) and my feet have never felt better!

Started running - 2014

1st marathon - 2017

Still trying to figure out a good training plan that works for me.

Lucille Allen

Spammy lammy ding-dong

I'd try to run in neutral shoes over time... but don't over do it.

perhaps start to feel your feet as you run.... try to land flat footed...vs on the outside.

300m- 37 sec.

rlopez

I'd try to run in neutral shoes over time... but don't over do it.

perhaps start to feel your feet as you run.... try to land flat footed...vs on the outside.

You have responded to a year old post that was zombied for spam purposes.