NB 1062: problems early on? (Read 762 times)

I got a new pair of shoes a couple of months ago, some new NB 1062s. Only my second pair of running shoes (first were NB 661), and the first bought at a running store where they fit me and did gait analysis. Turns out I was lucky with my first pair, getting the right kind for me, since my wife just bought them before either of us knew anything about running shoes. I got about 370 logged miles out of them, with just a few more unlogged miles on there. I analyzed as neutral, though the salesperson said that my left foot overpronated very slightly while my right foot was almost dead neutral. I loved my new pair when I got them and went on my first run. Didn't get to use them much though as our 2nd son had just been born, and then he needed surgery just 7 weeks later. However, I'm back to regular running now, working on my third week back. I've got about 90 something miles on these new shoes and I've already started to feel the cushioning diminish on the ball of my right foot, specifically right under the big joint of the big toe. It doesn't hurt really, but when my foot strikes, I can feel a lack of cushioning there. The strange thing is, I only notice it on some runs. I run on steeply crowned asphalt in my neighborhood, but I run at 5am when I have the luxury of switching sides of the road without worry about traffic, so I switch the high foot regularly. I do notice that I prefer to have my right foot on the low side though, as this diminishes the roll on that big toe, and I don't seem to have any cushioning problems on my left foot. I'm slow and heavy (right at 200lbs), but I have a fairly smooth stride and don't really pound the road. So, after all that, does anyone have any advice, or any experience with these shoes or the earlier models (1061,1060) that might shed some light on what's happening to me? The one thing that I know I should do but haven't yet is rotate shoes, as I'm not excited about dropping another $120 on another pair so soon after buying these.
    Brandon
    Lane

I wore the 1061's, and now have a pair of 1062's. I have had no trouble with either pair, although my feet are super-neutral. You may have some weird wear pattern because of the differences in your feet. That's all that I can offer. I don't know of any glaring problem with the shoe itself, and since your feet are asymmetrical and your shoe problem is asymmetrical, I would guess they are related. Edited to say that I am not a heavy runner, but have already put >100 miles on my 1062's.

Marquess of Utopia

1061's were great. I've got 90 miles on my second pair of 1062, about 500 on the first. They are super soft shoes in my opinion, they are softer in the heel than the forefoot. You may just have an over use injury from increasing your mileage, be careful and don’t overdo it. I wouldn’t worry about rotating your shoes; I rotate my shoes when they are near the end of their life. I just remembered I did have some mild soreness on the ball of my foot earlier this year; I was also wearing NB 440's. The soreness just went away in a couple weeks. I think that your feet require time to adapt to new shoes.
          They definitely are soft shoes in the heel. The few times that I've opened up and actually run fast in them, I was amazed by how soft the heels felt when my feet were striking pretty hard, and how effectively they cushioned as my foot rolled forward. I'm not sure that I've progressed to the level of an over-use injury, as it's not really that bothersome, only mildly uncomfortable, and only some of the time. I am planning on a cutback week next week though. Thanks guys for your thoughts.
          Brandon