How much is too much? (Read 372 times)

JaysinSr

So my shin splints are feeling much better.  I still haven't tried the 1.5 mile run yet, but I did some interval sprints last night with a few minutes of treadmill running for a warm up and cool down.  All seemed fine, a very little tenderness towards the end of my workout, but nothing too crazy.  So here's my question.  I currently walk a mile in the morning and evenings, weight train Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday nights, I try to run, jog, walk or crawl on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday nights.  The weight training is on average 45 minutes, the walks are about 20 minutes and the runs take about 15 to 20 minutes.  So is this a good routine?  Should I add or take anything away?  I do have about 30 spare minutes before I eat lunch that I could throw something else in.  Should I create an intense stretching regimen for that time, light jogging or just rest?  I don't want to over do it but at the same time I don't want to loose any opportunity to create the change in my running abilities that would help me get to my goal.

an amazing likeness

If your goal is to become more fit for running, then you need more time on your feet.  Walk more -- and preferably longer sessions rather than more sessions.  The time on your feet walking will build up your muscles, tendons, ligaments and help you get into running.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Latent Runner

So my shin splints are feeling much better.  I still haven't tried the 1.5 mile run yet, but I did some interval sprints last night with a few minutes of treadmill running for a warm up and cool down.  All seemed fine, a very little tenderness towards the end of my workout, but nothing too crazy.  So here's my question.  I currently walk a mile in the morning and evenings, weight train Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday nights, I try to run, jog, walk or crawl on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday nights.  The weight training is on average 45 minutes, the walks are about 20 minutes and the runs take about 15 to 20 minutes.  So is this a good routine?  Should I add or take anything away?  I do have about 30 spare minutes before I eat lunch that I could throw something else in.  Should I create an intense stretching regimen for that time, light jogging or just rest?  I don't want to over do it but at the same time I don't want to loose any opportunity to create the change in my running abilities that would help me get to my goal.

If you're dealing with shin splints STOP doing intervals and any kind of sprinting.  The only kind of running you should be doing is very slow distance work.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
        • 2-mile: 13:49
        • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
        • 5-Mile: 37:24
        • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
        • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
        • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

CT JEFF

? Fracture.

About 10 days ago, I was in the pool. End of a 1 mile swim I pushed off the wall and my foot was too high up and slipped. Leg went out (over edge of wall) and foot came down on the wall. It hurt. But after 30 seconds I was able to finish my swim. Ive been on it for every day since. One day - no problems. Next day, really sore. It feels like a bone in the mid foot, 2nd or 3rd Metatarsal? - In general, I dont go to the doctor or take medicine.

Thoughts?

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

In general, I dont go to the doctor or take medicine.

Thoughts?

You should consider amending this stance. Doctors can be tremendously helpful in diagnosing and treating injuries and illnesses. True story.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

running metalhead

You should consider amending this stance. Doctors can be tremendously helpful in diagnosing and treating injuries and illnesses. True story.

I don't generally go to the doctor or take medicine either... only when I'm sick Wink

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
              - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
              - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
              - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
              - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
              - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

CT JEFF

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

Mysecondnewname

Proper diet and exercise are two terrific ways to be healthy.

However, with respect, they clearly are not panaceas.  Even with the healthiest of habits, oftentimes genetics wins out, and smart docs can help diagnose and treat diseases to help prevent untoward outcomes.

Walk-Jogger

A little Public Service Note note to those of us, and yes I am in that same category, who workout and eat healthy and stay in shape and never go to doctors unless we are sick or broken; I went in to see my GP last month to get an some help with chronic insomnia; she saw that I had not had a checkup in years so she practically forced and begged me to schedule one. At the checkup three weeks ago she wanted to do a digital rectal exam, something that I totally despise, and I only allowed it because she had smaller fingers than the old troglodyte that had last given me one 10-15 years ago. She detected "something" on that exam, and she insisted that we add a PSA test to my blood work and that I go see a urologist.

Long story short; my PSA level was/is over 19, (should have been .2 or less) which totally took me by surprise since I feel completely healthy except for a little bladder obstruction at night, which I thought was normal for my age. I had a prostate biopsy last week, and am sitting here at this very moment while on my vacation, literally waiting for a phone call from the urologist with the test results to see how bad it is and what my prognosis is. The odds of long term survival are not in my favor at this point.

Had I not gone to see my GP got the insomnia, and had she not insisted on the physical and a digital rectal exam and then the PSA test. I would have gone on my merry way feeling fit and healthy until I suddenly woke up one day in the not so distant future with cancer that had spread throughout my body, and with a very short time line. Sorry for being so dramatic, but I'm sick with the feeling that had I not been so cavalier with getting an annual checkup, this would have been found much earlier while it was still very treatable.

Retired &  Loving It

This was distressing to read.  You are not being dramatic at all.  It is your life and health!!  I said a prayer for you that it is not cancer.  Do realize that there is much more that can be done for Prostate cancer now than there used to be.  Keep us posted.

A little Public Service Note note to those of us, and yes I am in that same category, who workout and eat healthy and stay in shape and never go to doctors unless we are sick or broken; I went in to see my GP last month to get an some help with chronic insomnia; she saw that I had not had a checkup in years so she practically forced and begged me to schedule one. At the checkup three weeks ago she wanted to do a digital rectal exam, something that I totally despise, and I only allowed it because she had smaller fingers than the old troglodyte that had last given me one 10-15 years ago. She detected "something" on that exam, and she insisted that we add a PSA test to my blood work and that I go see a urologist.

Long story short; my PSA level was/is over 19, (should have been .2 or less) which totally took me by surprise since I feel completely healthy except for a little bladder obstruction at night, which I thought was normal for my age. I had a prostate biopsy last week, and am sitting here at this very moment while on my vacation, literally waiting for a phone call from the urologist with the test results to see how bad it is and what my prognosis is. The odds of long term survival are not in my favor at this point.

Had I not gone to see my GP got the insomnia, and had she not insisted on the physical and a digital rectal exam and then the PSA test. I would have gone on my merry way feeling fit and healthy until I suddenly woke up one day in the not so distant future with cancer that had spread throughout my body, and with a very short time line. Sorry for being so dramatic, but I'm sick with the feeling that had I not been so cavalier with getting an annual checkup, this would have been found much earlier while it was still very treatable.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

CT JEFF

I am sorry for your situation.

Feeling the growl again

I do get annual checkups. 

So, in general, you DO go to the doctor.  Too bad there isn't a standard treatment for lack of tact.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

AutBatgirl

Cecil59, I'm sending good thoughts your way. There's been a great deal of progress in that area in recent years, so don't decide it's the worst until you hear.

No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.

Positive thoughts are headed your way.  Other posters are correct- there are many options and treatments for prostate cancer.  Don't count yourself out.