Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Marky_Mark - Good luck in the race!  (saying it now so that I'm not too late, due to the time differences).

Steve - I did not get what "CHCH" was short for until now....

CFarr - good to see you back here!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Marky_Mark_17

Flavio doing well, but still struggling a little getting mentally back into training, unlike your display of mental fortitude, again what an awesome performance in a TT.  I've managed to work my way back up do about 28 miles per week on 4 days/week no real WO just slow going

No concrete races planned yet, but looking to run a 1 mile race in Aug. and hopefully I'll be back to racing some HM in 2022.

Hey welcome back CFarr.  I have been a bit busy at work and must've missed a few posts.  Have seen you logging runs on Strava though.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Corey great to hear from you.

I'm so sorry.

I just ordered some Next % 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Hey everyone...I am connected to most of you on Strava and have been following your activities there, but have been pretty inactive on here for the better part of a year, so after 3 months of "lurking" around I decided to "formally " jump back in.

Intro

I’m Corey 51 yrs Married since 1992 with 2 children: I have stay at home daughter attending community college soon to be 25 and son who is  a senior at Clemson University soon to be 22 and Graduating in May.

I was active in HS but mainly team sports basketball and football, I ran 1 year of track mainly shorter distances and was average at best.  I became very inactive during college and early adult years.   I decided to run a 5k in 2010 and then ran my first marathon in 2011 on very little training had a bit of a break after that but have been actively running since about 2016 but really started geting serious in 2017 putting in some higher mileage topping out in 2018 with almost 2100 miles. Highlights of my running was qualifying for Boston 2020 in 2018 and finally breaking 20 minutes in a 5k early in 2019.

Last year 

For me was supposed to be highlighted by running Boston, although I was unprepared due to some injuries and lack of proper training in 2019, I was looking forward to the experience of just being there.  Boston was canceled and turned into a virtual event which I ended up injured and walking just to get through it.

I’ve tried to pick my training back up since my virtual Boston experience.  I am now at about 25 miles per week

2021 goals

Loose the 15 pounds I've gained since October 2020

remain injury free

run about 1500 miles in 2021 continue base building to set myself up for a strong 2022

1 race goal PR in the 1 mile, target race is August 27          Anderson Midnight Flight

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Race the half, ditch your coach....and your friends from RA will guide you to a marathon PR in 11 weeks time. 👍

This is what I did but I never hired the coach. It has worked out quite well.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JamesD

JamesD

Welcome back, Corey.  My son committed to Clemson yesterday.  I'm tentatively thinking of running a Saturday morning half in Aiken in October and going up to see him that afternoon.  The race is usually pretty small, though.  A year or two ago you told me about a springtime half in Greenville.  Are there any good ones in the fall that are reasonably close to Clemson?

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Corey - Welcome back! It's been good seeing your runs on Strava.

Mark - Best of luck in the race!

The forecast for my race looks slightly better than for my recent half - perhaps similar temperatures and wind (also on an unprotected course with a couple out-and-backs), but lower dew point, which will be nice.

This race is likely to be smaller and have fewer competitive runners, so we'll see how this all turns out.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

darkwave

Mother of Cats

The forecast for my race looks slightly better than for my recent half - perhaps similar temperatures and wind (also on an unprotected course with a couple out-and-backs), but lower dew point, which will be nice.

This race is likely to be smaller and have fewer competitive runners, so we'll see how this all turns out.

Good luck!  Here's to hopefully an automatic PR!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mark and Keen all the best for great races.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

New shoes showed up today: Altra Riveras. This marks the second time I've used a Strava challenge reward (15% off) - the other being a free shirt and pair of shorts the first time Lululemon did a challenge.

First impression is that the soles feel a lot like the Escalante, just with a bit more cushion. It's difficult to say how much of a difference or similarity there is with just walking around the house (wearing one of each on a different foot), but I should be able to actually run in them tomorrow after my race.

The upper is lighter, more breathable, and less structured than that on the Escalante, which I like. The toe box has less volume and less of the typical wonky "foot shape" of other Altras. A bit between the wonky Altra shape and a "typical" running shoe. I like this as well as it's closer to the actual shape of my feet than either of the ends of the usual spectrum. And, GLORIOUSLY, the laces are an appropriate length - not the "long enough to use as a climbing rope on Mt. Everest" length Altra has been using for the last 2-3 years.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - they ship those used shoes to 3rd world countries and sell them at retail price 

Steve - awesome jab calling RP a Canadian. It certainly can’t be an insult, back in my backpacker days there were plenty of Americans with Canadian flags on their backpacks to avoid having to debate errr difficult subjects.

RP - I’m most impressed that you saw a map that had New Zealand in it. I’m not sure I believe unless you can provide photographic evidence.

Zeb - yeah, yyyy/mm/dd is the best format, but non developers insist on the wrong format so what can we do 

Steve - no point running that half hard at the moment. You should just enjoy the ride and maybe troll other racers.

Corey - these are weird times no doubt! A mile race sounds super fun!

Keen - new shoes yay! 

me - Most of the hamstring niggles seem to be gone. Recovery is going well so far.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Keen I've never tried Alturas or Hokas. They always seemed like weird looking shoes to me but I'm sure they have a niche market.

Flavio I wouldn't put it past Nike to do that 

I'm already having trouble checking my order status as they won't accept my email as a valid email address even though its on the order ! I screenshottted my order number so hopefully all is ok. They certainly took my money already 

I'm getting a blue colorway in Next %. Hopefully that might hide the fact that I'm cheating 

Marky_Mark_17

Good luck Keen!

Weather not looking great tomorrow - warm and windy. Ironically the two previous days this race would’ve been held were perfect for running. Ah well - it’s not the fastest course anyway and I’m happy just to be racing.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

zebano

Mark Good luck!!

Keen -  enjoy the free PR! Those shoes sound nice. Thanks for the reminder, I think I still have that 15% off, hopefully I can grab some Escalante Racers. I too have been baffled by Altras inability to produce proper length shoelaces.

CFarr welcome. How's it feel to be an empty nester?

Piwi  I am so disappointed in you. Wink I'm expecting a sub 18 5k now.

I've got a real live race tomorrow. 6k, an unusual distance trail race with pretty crazy (for Iowa) elevation. When the fast guys who usually run 7 min "easy " miles run there they're often 9-10 mpm so I'm not expecting the watch to help at all. I just want to find some people running with me and give a strong effort. FWIW I've had jury duty this week and it's been rough. We found the defendant guilty but two days of looking at pictures of an abused  tortured child have left me extremely moody and rage running so I'm honestly not going to be surprised if I pace poorly. My main goal is to avoid totally crossing that red line and continue to give a strong race effort all the way to the end. If I do it right, I can use that as fuel to get through the last two KM.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Keen as long as the race is less than 86 minutes I think you’re good. Did you use your super lightweight race shoes to PR the 8 miler?

Flavio  it was at the library on this giant globe they had on display near the Encyclopedia Brittanica collection they had. Must have been a donation or something. All I remember is it is Easy of Australia but I assume that is west to them since everything is upside down there.

I need to start doing my TRX. Four months into 2021 and they’re still collecting dust. From 2019.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22