National Marathon & Half - March 26th in DC. Anyone else going. (Read 1815 times)

Oddly my wife and I--who expect to finish the marathon about 75 minutes apart--are in the same corral (Grey-7).  Confused

Tramps - looking at your log I have got to believe that they have you in the wrong corral. I'm a 2hr (9:08/mile) HM chappy and I am in 6-Purple. You ought to be ahead of that. Maybe they will fix it at the expo?

MTA: Spelling

2017 Goals
    1) Run more than 231 miles
    2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Tramps

Yeah, I figured.  I'll check at the expo and see where I really belong.

Be safe. Be kind.

Julia1971

FYI, there's a new map out.  Looks like the Halfers will ge their view of the Capitol after all.

Tramps

FYI, there's a new map out.  Looks like the Halfers will ge their view of the Capitol after all.

Maybe...maybe not.  The mailing that just went out still shows the old new map, not the new new map.

Think of it like the weather: we'll have to wait until race day to see exactly what we get. Wink

Be safe. Be kind.

Oddly my wife and I--who expect to finish the marathon about 75 minutes apart--are in the same corral (Grey-7).  Confused

They are just honoring your wedding vows...til death do us part....which might be around mile 20 for one of you.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Julia1971

Maybe...maybe not.  The mailing that just went out still shows the old new map, not the new new map.

Think of it like the weather: we'll have to wait until race day to see exactly what we get. Wink

Yeah, I think I'm gonna quit them until Friday at noon.  PM me if they cancel the race or decide to change it to a 10 miler and run it next weekend.  Smile 

No credit union icons on the Cherry Blossom map.  Sad  Slackers.

CMJHawk86

Yes, they made a big mess out of the parking last year.

I'm not running it this year but I ran the half last year. I drove in from Fairfax, and parked in the neighborhood near Eastern HS without too much difficulty. Had plenty of time to put my singlet on by the car, stop at at a POJ and get over to my start corral (corral 2) then warm up/stretch there.

lap

Is Lot 8 the lot that was (disastrously) closed last year?  I'm going to test it out at packet pickup, which also was a bit frenzied last year early on.

A tad on the chilly side this weekend?

Image snipped from weather.com

Looking forward to it though.

Have a good race everyone.

2017 Goals
                    1) Run more than 231 miles
                    2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

A tad on the chilly side this weekend?

Looks pretty good to me.  No excuses weather, right?

lap

Answering my own question, Lot 8 is the lot that was closed last year, so parking should be much better this year for people coming from Virginia or the western approach more generally.

Julia1971

I thought I'd share my Metro story...

I got up this morning and checking the trip planner.  The first train leaving the Pentagon stop was supposed to leave the station at 6:15 and had me arriving around 6:45/6:50.  I checked the WMATA site to see if they had a press release saying they were running extra trains...  no dice.  Having made no back-up plan (I don't have a car), I decide I'll put my trust in Metro.

I get to the Pentagon at 5:50.  It's just me and another sketchy guy in a hoodie hanging out.  I look down the escalators and the entrance is gated shut.  6:00 comes and goes - the station is still locked.  6:05 comes and I start freaking out.  I walk to the other entrance and see the sign says the next Yellow Line train to Ft. Totten would arrive in 7 minutes.  I look down that entrance and it's locked, too.  I decide to walk down thinking maybe I'll see someone.

I get down there and yell "Hello" a couple of times to no avail.  A few more runners show up.  I hear one say the sign now say the train is coming in 5 minutes.  I wait with them a little longer and then decide I'll go back up and see if I can catch a cab.  As I'm walking up the escalator, a women in a Metro jacket is coming down the stairs saying she's sorry, the station manager wasn't here but she'll open the gate.  AND, she'll call and have them hold the train for us!  Cool  We get in the station just as the train is pulling up.

We get to L'Enfant and the next train going to the Stadium-Armory site is something like 12 minutes away.  The platform is getting more and more crowded.  I head for a spot that'll get me on the front of the train and started getting my clothes and gear ready since figuring I won't have time once I get there.  I think the train comes at 6:40ish.  We all get on board, but the train is packed.  I don't think anyone else got on after that stop.  We arrive at Stadium-Armory and pile out of the train.  The platform is packed.  On the escalator I look back, and the entire platform is packed with people.

I run inside the Armory, take a couple minutes to get myself together and check my bag.  I make it to my corral at...  6:52!  With eight minutes to spare, I quickly became annoyed that they didn't start on time. Wink

Enjoyed the rest of the race.  Although, I need to go read that thread on tangeats since my Garmin said I ran 26.62 miles...

Enjoyed the rest of the race.  Although, I need to go read that thread on tangeats since my Garmin said I ran 26.62 miles...

I had a total distance of about 26.7, and I was looking back at the map last night.  There are several places where the trace moves around a bit, like the signal was almost lost, but not quite, around some of the taller buildings.  And the tunnels too.  I always have that happen through Rosslyn, so I think those areas added some "artificial" distance to the run.  It was kind of annoying seeing 26.2 halfway across the bridge to the stadium.