Flashlight recommendations? (Read 740 times)

Get Lost :)

Alright so I bought this flashlight to complement a headlamp for long night runs. It is a Princeton Tec Amp 3.0. I already know that the batteries clanking around on the inside is going to ultimately drive me nuts. Are there any reasonable, preferably waterproof flashlights that are silent. Flashlights should be seen and not heard ....

The King of Beasts

Alright so I bought this flashlight to complement a headlamp for long night runs. It is a Princeton Tec Amp 3.0. I already know that the batteries clanking around on the inside is going to ultimately drive me nuts. Are there any reasonable, preferably waterproof flashlights that are silent. Flashlights should be seen and not heard ....

Gerber makes some good LED flashlights.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Put some strips of black electrical tape around the batteries...just keep adding until they are snug.

chrimbler

Fenix, best flashlights out there
          Run like you stole it!
            Fenix, best flashlights out there

+1

Insanely bright and great battery life.

Regarding the Gerber lights:

I have a Gerber LX3.0.  Good light but no voltage regulation circuitry so it's only really bright for about 3 hours, then it drops off fast.  They claim 50 hours of light, but 47 hours of it is pretty worthless for running.  Upside is that it's a bombproof light... very durable.

xor

Yay for Fenix.  They kick ass, they are lightweight, they are tough, they shrug off sweat and mist (I haven't tried it in driving rain), and they are not battery hogs as long as you don't set them on supernova bright.

I don't know if this is the best place to put this question or not, but since this is the thread that lead me to my latest gear purchase, I thought I'd throw it out there.

I went out on a night run through my neighborhood and surrounding area to check out my new Fenix flashlight (yay!) in semi-familiar surroundings rather than trying it out on the trails.  It worked great!  It was so bright I was worried I might blind a driver if I wasn't careful and I used it on the lowest setting.

What bothered me is that I couldn't manage to hold the beam of light steady while I ran.  I tried it in both hands.  I had the lanyard wrapped around my wrist in case I lost it, and I tried holding it both outward and down towards my feet, but either way, it would either arc quickly across the sidewalk or light up the side of the path.  I could still see pretty well, but I thought it was pretty distracting and I felt like a running, bouncing disco ball.

I'm trying to tell myself that it sweeping back and forth across a trail might actually be a good thing, but I'm curious to all of you who are familiar with using a flashlight on runs:  Is there a trick?  Will I get better at controlling the beam with practice? Or should I just get used to it?

xor

I don't hold mine steady.  I sweep the trail ahead of me with it.

(and for those of you expecting the double entendre, it isn't there.  I don't do that.)

You'll ruin your knees!

Of course there is going to be some movement, but try to relax the hand with which you are holding the light and focus on moving the arm forward and backward (good running efficiency, anyway) rather than across your body.  The beam will move, but it is moving along a line that is generally in the direction you are running.  You can work on flexing the wrist slightly to smooth out the bouncing...  it is something that you will get used to...

Good luck!

[off to look in to this Fenix phenom, as I am a flashlight whore...]

Lynn

MTA: will bookmark Fenix home page for future reference... likely to be a Fenix owner within next 24 months!  (have to lose/break a few lights)

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Of course there is going to be some movement, but try to relax the hand with which you are holding the light and focus on moving the arm forward and backward (good running efficiency, anyway) rather than across your body. 

Yeah, I was thinking while I was running that this may be pointing out some serious inefficiencies in my arm movements.  I guess this gives me a good excuse to work on it...and a tool to monitor my progress Smile  I will try relaxing my hand more too and see if that helps things any as well.