Ankle Injury - advice if possible please. (Read 751 times)

Hi All I went over on my left ankle during a run on Tuesday night, at the time I thought I heard something crack but it didnt bother me too much, however, by Wednesday afternoon it started to swell to the outside of my ankle. I've not had any bruising. I've rested it as much as possible and our company nurse strapped it up for me, I've iced it a few times and although its not painfull to walk on it was still slightly swollen. I went out for a short run today which I had to cut shorter as my ankle really started to ache. The pain was coming from my outer ankle bone across the top of my foot. From reading August's Runners World I think the area that I have hurt may be the 'retrocalcaneal bursa' as the area below my ankle bone is sore and that is where most of the swelling is. I am also getting pain up my calf, I dont know if that is related or not, I do plenty of stretches post run and dont normally suffer from this type of aching. I am attempting to train for the Great North Run, my training has already been affected as I had an op in May and I am also entered for a 10k race next Sunday which I would like to do. I'm worried if I dont get enough training in I wont manage the GNR, but also appreciate if I dont do the right thing I could risk longer term injury. If any one could offer me some advice it would be much appreciated - its the first time I've had an injury as I've only returned to running about a year ago. I work with a guy who is a trained sports physio but typically he's on leave for another week. thanks in advance. GG
      Sounds like a twisted ankle. I'd ice it every 3-4 hours for the next couple days. Also I'd advice NOT race a 10k next Sunday. I'd also suggest you do some stretching and strengthening excersies. It's going to take a bit to get those injured tendons back in shape. I twisted my ankle June 24th and am still dealing with issue's. Here is a couple links with some exercises. http://health.yahoo.com/ency/healthwise/te7604/te7615 http://www.comgri.com/ouch/ankle3.html Good luck and try to take it easy!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

btb1490

Twisted ankles usually result in tendon injuries. If it was really extreme, there could be some bone damage, but that would be rare. As Pam suggested, use lots of ice throughout the day, and give it a day or two or three to rest. Get on a bike if that doesn't bother it. Once it starts to feel better, start in with the stretching and strengthening. Silly as it may sound, try standing on a fluffy pillow with one foot and balance. That is a great ankle strengthening exercise. A few days off won't wreck your training, but trying to run on a bum ankle sure could. Be smart and good luck! Oh, try some Advil or Aleve for the inflammation as well.
          Sounds like a twisted ankle. I'd ice it every 3-4 hours for the next couple days. Also I'd advice NOT race a 10k next Sunday. I'd also suggest you do some stretching and strengthening excersies. It's going to take a bit to get those injured tendons back in shape. I twisted my ankle June 24th and am still dealing with issue's.
          Ditto on the advice. I really twisted my ankle in April and still have not been able to run. It sounds like your's is not as severe but the advice it still good. Rest and Ice. The PT has me working on balancing exercises to strengthening those tendons like those above. And Ice Baths, lots of ice baths. I know it's not what you want to hear, I didn't either, but give it some rest.

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble

Thanks everyone, I guess I'd hoped 3/4 days would be enough rest..... its so annoying, I'm convinced someone somewhere doesnt want me to run Big grin I'd only just got back into running with any sort of plan again. I didnt think it was anything serious otherwise I'd not be able to walk on it. Oh well, I'll take it easy and like you say a little rest now is better than a long recovery later. Cheers x
              Had to go to the docs today so while I was there I mentioned my ankle, after (rather painfull) prodding he says I've torn a ligament. No running for the next week or two. I've been swimming instead, I'm hoping that helps keep my fitness up a bit. Confused I've also started doing stretching excercies, here's hoping it recovers soon.
                Ditto on the advice. I really twisted my ankle in April and still have not been able to run. It sounds like your's is not as severe but the advice it still good. Rest and Ice. The PT has me working on balancing exercises to strengthening those tendons like those above. And Ice Baths, lots of ice baths. I know it's not what you want to hear, I didn't either, but give it some rest.
                Hope you recover soon, its scary to think it can cause so much damage - who said keeping fit was good for you Big grin
                  I'm glad you got your ankle checked out. Nice to know what you need to do to get back into running condition. And it sounds like you are not going to have to much time off so to speak. Good luck with it. Keeping fit "cause so much damage" Embarrassed It was the not watching where I was going. Dang....long time to pay for a moment of inattention. I'm working on getting back to it. Take it easy. When's the GNR?

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble

I'm glad you got your ankle checked out. Nice to know what you need to do to get back into running condition. And it sounds like you are not going to have to much time off so to speak. Good luck with it. Keeping fit "cause so much damage" Embarrassed It was the not watching where I was going. Dang....long time to pay for a moment of inattention. I'm working on getting back to it. Take it easy. When's the GNR?
                    I've just read your post regarding your ankle, god that sounds awful, I wish you a speedy recovery take it easy. Its frightening how easy it can happen and I guess we always think it wont happen to us. I managed to see our physio at work today, he is a trained sports physiotherapist so it was really good, he has had a good check of my ankle and thanks to Rockenmama I had been doing various exercises which have helped, I also decided to try taking ibruofen for the swelling and thankfully it has started to go down. He has said I havent done much damage so I am ok to strap it up and start running again. The tendon still aches and is painful to touch, I now just need to make sure I watch where I'm going and not fall over again Roll eyes The Great North Run is the 30th September, after a tricky year healthwise with my op earlier in the year & I do need another later in the year so I'll just be happy to finish it, once I get 'fixed' I will attempt to run properly. thanks again for advise & support.