Google maps and RunningAHEAD (Read 447 times)

an amazing likeness

Hi, I tried to look through the thread to find the answer to my question with no success, so apologies if this has been addressed already:

Is the interactive feature of the maps, where you can put your cursor on the elevation chart and drag it along to see your exact mileage at any given point, going to be restored?  I use that feature a lot, it turns out, and I already miss it.

Thanks for all your work on a fantastic running log, Eric.

--Maggie

Actually, if you carefully place your mouse pointer on the elevation trace line in the map view, you will get a data box pop-up with the distance and elevation.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Actually, if you carefully place your mouse pointer on the elevation trace line in the map view, you will get a data box pop-up with the distance and elevation.

Oh good, this indicates that we're not far from being back to what we had with Google maps. Hovering anywhere on elevation would also show where on the course that is. I hope that can be restored as well as scaling the elevation graph between the low and high of the run. It's not very helpful to start the scale at zero when your activity is at 1000' plus.  That makes the graph is essentially flat at higher elevations.

MTA: examples

RA:

RA-elevation

Garmin:

Garmin elevation

Magmason

Yes, the uploaded map needs to be saved to courses.

On your workout page in question, select map tab, click the 3 bars to the right of course to "save map as".

Give the map a name and save (far right corner you can mark map as private).

Now go to your course page, and select the magnifying glass to right of course name.

When map comes up, click edit button to the right of map.

You should now see all the features (old map style), as also seen when still creating a new course manually.

Here you can edit the course you ran as well. Hope this helps

Thank you, this does work.  It is cumbersome, however--too many steps--so I'll just use Strava for the same purpose.  Thank you for your help!

Julia1971

Uh oh.  I have a complaint!  This new software has already renamed an area us locals call Crystal City to the Amazon branded "National Landing".  I am not happy!  Wink

xhristopher

Uh oh.  I have a complaint!  This new software has already renamed an area us locals call Crystal City to the Amazon branded "National Landing".  I am not happy!  Wink

Did Arlington offer up naming rights in their offer to attract more traffic to the area?

Considering that it's "OpenStreetMap" we should all go and edit back to Crystal City just like I edit Wikipedia when I need to win a bet.

Julia1971

Did Arlington offer up naming rights in their offer to attract more traffic to the area?

Considering that it's "OpenStreetMap" we should all go and edit back to Crystal City just like I edit Wikipedia when I need to win a bet.

They probably did...  It'll be alright.  Just bad for tourist because we don't acknowledge the names we don't like:

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Can a person make a living doing that?

bhearn

Following up here. eric Smile, thanks for all your hard work.

Oh good, this indicates that we're not far from being back to what we had with Google maps. Hovering anywhere on elevation would also show where on the course that is.

This is something I use so much I’d almost call it essential. Any chance we can get it back? Also any option of a higher price tier to use Google Maps?

Altair5

Runs in the rain

The new maps do not show the starting and end points. This does create confusion on routes that double back and cross the start point for example. I also agree that the elevation scale starting  at zero can make the graph look flat and not provide the detail some of us like. Yes, if you click on the edit feature the old Google map shows up, but I don't see how to copy and paste it if I wanted to share it in a forum. Also, I am not sure if I would see a Google map when I create a new course. I would happily pay an additional fee to get back Google Maps or something better. I am also open to suggestions of other sites where I can create new maps. I do use STRAVA, but it seems to map my Garmin runs, I don't see that I can create courses that I have not yet run. Ideally I would like one that I can adjust the range and scale of the elevation graphs, I would also like to color code the maps by elevation and also color code the route itself by steepness of the slope, neither feature I have seen anywhere. Perhaps I may need to scan a local road atlas into my computer and color it myself, but that would be a lot of work.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
                    Get up, get out, get out of the door!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

This is something I use so much I’d almost call it essential. Any chance we can get it back? Also any option of a higher price tier to use Google Maps?

+1

I also miss this feature.  And the terrain option of google maps.  And what LedLincoln showed with the elevation graph.

Running is dumb.

jampen12

Thank you for sharing this information and your experience!