Counterfeit Bibs (Read 459 times)

What exactly is wrong with selfishness? Everyone is selfish to some degree. And is there impure selfishness?

I think if we are  a nation that is ruled by laws, then either it's against the law to bandit a race on a publicly funded road or it's not. If it's not, then they did nothing wrong, and we're just throwing scarlet letters.

If the only things that guide your behavior are laws, that is unfortunate.

+1 to Tanya

Dave

xhristopher

When I started this thread I expected a train wreck but to draw any sort of analogy with this topic and Switzer is just dumb.

Let's get back to the business of the sanctimonious witch hunt. Who are the Argo 5? The two chesty guys with medals give a couple hints. Murphy has Coast Guard shorts and Mr. Abs is sporting a couple Marine Corps tats.

Get on it.

xhristopher

Here they are single handidly destroying all that is right and good in the world while basking in the sun about to enjoy a Gatorade protein shake and a free massage.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

It used to be perfectly within the law to beat your black slave to death just because you wanted to. If you were a German in the 1940s, it was legal to kill Jews.

No, there is no comparison between these events and these bandits. But there is a morality beyond the law. Just because it isn't illegal doesn't make it right.

What exactly is wrong with selfishness? Everyone is selfish to some degree. And is there impure selfishness?

I think if we are  a nation that is ruled by laws, then either it's against the law to bandit a race on a publicly funded road or it's not. If it's not, then they did nothing wrong, and we're just throwing scarlet letters.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

xhristopher

How fitting the cheater on the left is wearing LIVESTRONG shorts.

BeeRunB

It used to be perfectly within the law to beat your black slave to death just because you wanted to. If you were a German in the 1940s, it was legal to kill Jews.

No, there is no comparison between these events and these bandits. But there is a morality beyond the law. Just because it isn't illegal doesn't make it right.

Your second paragraph: exactly why I used "scarlet letters." If they're not breaking the law (there are  laws on the books about theft and trespassing), then they're only breaking someone else's moral code about races held on public roads. There are a lot of people who think being a bandit is just fine. Some think it's fine as long they don't touch any amenities. Some think no harm, no foul. Some put it in the realm of sin and throw scarlet letters.  Most people who aren't runners could give a hippo's bum about it. I'm sure in every city that has a marathon that ties up the public roads, I'm sure there are people who think that's wrong, and that it's annoying and that we're all selfish for getting in their way and making them wait in traffic.  I find banditing interesting, but not sinful, and at most a party-crash. Some people think party-crashing is wrong...

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Switzer's participation was an act of civil disobedience, which contributed in it's way to equal rights for women. Pirating a marathon is theft, using facilities that have been provided for a significant cost is theft.

It's hardly civil disobedience if she wasn't even aware that she was breaking some rule as she claims. That the press and women's right groups capitalized on it is beside the point.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

TJoseph

But this follows Godwin's Law:

Godwin's law (or Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies) is an Internet adage asserting that "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1" —​ that is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Hitler or Nazism.

Prince of Fatness

The GDDMN Germans got nothin' to do with it!

Not at it at all. 

mikeymike

Go ahead and discuss.

I'm gonna grab some popcorn and let y'all go at it.

Better than you expected?

Runners run

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

The GDDMN Germans got nothin' to do with it!

Are you sure? Hydra infiltrated S.H.I.E.L.D. and no one was the wiser.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

xhristopher

Not really. It was different than I expected. It's probably time for us all to move on.

I'll post a poll about pine tar next.

Prince of Fatness

Not at it at all. 

henryc

But they bomber Pearl Harbor damn it. That's why we celebrate Patriot's day!

Seriously.  This thread was vaguely annoying, and now it's just stupid.

+1

I can't seriously believe people are doing this comparison. Idiots.