Workouts while injured? (Read 85 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

I've been battling this hip adductor/flexor strain/possible labrum tear thing for a couple months now.  10 PT sessions with no change, decided to switch to  ART chiro.  After 1 session I feel sooooo much better, after the second session (today) even better still.

This injury has me cross training since my run mileage is way down and I don't want to get fat.  I've really taken a look at the lack of general strength I have from basically decades of just running, some biking and occasional swimming.  I'm an arguably fast runner and decent triathlete, but I can't do much else and I suspect some of that might have contributed to my injury.

My new plan is to try a few months of lower mileage (gradually building in more as I feel better) while adding a good amount of strength work.  I'm not looking for roid-rich muscles, but a better defined core and upper body to round things out.  My chiro says I have an excellent cardiovascular system but a crappy musculoskeletal system.  I want to fix that.

Anyone here doing something like that?  I'm looking for a fairly simple routine --some solid workouts I can do 2 / 3x  times a week for strength over the next few months.

Today I worked with kettlebells, medicine balls and a lot of dips after a slow 30 minute run.  What else can I add that might be fun and easy to do.  I don't mean "easy" like very little sweat I mean "easy" like not complex, something I can figure out without someone physically showing me how to do it  (I'm not as coordinated as I thought I'd be).

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

MoBramExam

For upper-body, hard to beat old fashion pull ups, chin ups, and push ups.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I like the Ironstrength workout because it doesn't require much equipment or space.  It is a tough workout for sure.  I started with 1/2 the recommended numbers and still struggled.  Not sure if this is what you are looking for.  Good luck!

MTA: I don't know how much of this you would be able to do with your injury, but there's probably still some stuff in there for you.

**Ask me about streaking**

running > all else

Sorry this happened, I’ve had hip adductor issues before, as well..

I lift …and there’s lots you can do, to work around this injury for sure.

*flat/incline bench

*military press

*oh db press/shoulder work

*leg curls/extensions

*tricep work

*lat pulldowns/barbell rows

*bicep curls/accessory lifts

These are all relatively ‘easy’ in terms of form…and think you’ll have fun with them.

I’d just avoid lunges, squats and leg press, until your adductor is healed.

Hope you heal up very soon!!

I've been battling this hip adductor/flexor strain/possible labrum tear thing for a couple months now.  10 PT sessions with no change, decided to switch to  ART chiro.  After 1 session I feel sooooo much better, after the second session (today) even better still.

This injury has me cross training since my run mileage is way down and I don't want to get fat.  I've really taken a look at the lack of general strength I have from basically decades of just running, some biking and occasional swimming.  I'm an arguably fast runner and decent triathlete, but I can't do much else and I suspect some of that might have contributed to my injury.

My new plan is to try a few months of lower mileage (gradually building in more as I feel better) while adding a good amount of strength work.  I'm not looking for roid-rich muscles, but a better defined core and upper body to round things out.  My chiro says I have an excellent cardiovascular system but a crappy musculoskeletal system.  I want to fix that.

Anyone here doing something like that?  I'm looking for a fairly simple routine --some solid workouts I can do 2 / 3x  times a week for strength over the next few months.

Today I worked with kettlebells, medicine balls and a lot of dips after a slow 30 minute run.  What else can I add that might be fun and easy to do.  I don't mean "easy" like very little sweat I mean "easy" like not complex, something I can figure out without someone physically showing me how to do it  (I'm not as coordinated as I thought I'd be).

ultramarathon/triathlete

Thanks guys and keep it coming!  I'll pick a few of these things from what people have posted to pepper into my routine and create something new.  The newness keeps me from getting bored.  Funny, I can run for hours and get into my thoughts but the weight reps bore me if I can't change it up frequently.

As for the Ironstrength, I took one of Jordan's classes here in NYC once.  Destroyed me.  I'll add some of those plyometric busts into my routine.  I hated his class (I'm not a class-going kind of person, not coordinated and I feel like a tool) but I admit I was sore literally a week after that class... so, there's something to be said for the muscles it works!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
            Gatorade Endurance Team

running > all else

Look into perhaps a program like 5/3/1 or 5x5…you might find they’re just what you’re looking for, in terms of a change of pace/challenging.

Thanks guys and keep it coming!  I'll pick a few of these things from what people have posted to pepper into my routine and create something new.  The newness keeps me from getting bored.  Funny, I can run for hours and get into my thoughts but the weight reps bore me if I can't change it up frequently.

As for the Ironstrength, I took one of Jordan's classes here in NYC once.  Destroyed me.  I'll add some of those plyometric busts into my routine.  I hated his class (I'm not a class-going kind of person, not coordinated and I feel like a tool) but I admit I was sore literally a week after that class... so, there's something to be said for the muscles it works!

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I get the emails all the time for his classes, but I don't want to publicly get my ass kicked .  I work in the city...maybe this year I'll attend one.

**Ask me about streaking**