out of shape... (Read 1056 times)

I am coming back from injury and I am now really out of shape. For the whole time I wasn't running, I was on a stationary bike and lifting weights, so I didn't think that I would be that out of shape when I returned to running. After running for a week and a half, I still feel very out of shape. How long will it take until my running is the same as it was before my injury?
    CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

That's great you are getting back to running. It does take a while. How long was your hiatus from running? When you stopped running, how much were you running at the time - days per week and mileage?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

What was your injury --- this could be important to the answer??

Champions are made when no one is watching

Lane

Without knowing anything, the rule of thumb is that it takes two weeks for every week that you were off to get back into shape. It depends on your fitness level, what kind of injury, etc, but that is the rule of thumb.
            It was a hip injury (they don't know what it was, but they think it was ITBS) and I was out for about 1 1/2 months (1 month I was on the bike and rested two weeks). Before the injury, I was running 30-40 miles in the fall into the winter (cross country into track) and 20-30 miles in the winter and into the beginning of spring (track), and I was running 6 days a week during both seasons.

Dave

Weight lifting and cycling will build conditioning but its not the same as running. Give it 3 or 4 weeks. I'm willing to bet that you'll start to feel better by then. Don't try and jump right in either. Ramp up over the next month.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

It was a hip injury (they don't know what it was, but they think it was ITBS) and I was out for about 1 1/2 months ...
                Who are the "they" you refer to here? Did you get referred to a good physiotherapist who works with athletes and runners? Just asking because I had a disabling hip problem not quite 3 years ago... and thought maybe it was arthritis or ???. It turned out to be the "Tensor Fascia Lata" muscle at the top end of the IT band, and it was diagnosed in under 5 minutes by a really great physiotherapist who worked with athletes. There are lots of very specific stretches and strengthening exercises used to treat this sort of thing.
                  Who are the "they" you refer to here? Did you get referred to a good physiotherapist who works with athletes and runners?
                  They were a sports doctor and a PT. One thought it was a stretching issue and the other thought it was ITBS/bursitis, but didn't really know for sure.

Future running partner.

The fact that you where lifting and on a stationary, during your running hiatus, is definitely much better than not being active at all. Your cardio is probably still in great shape. The lifting if it was done correctly probably made well balanced in terms of strength. Running however uses different muscle groups, in different ways, that work together differently then lifting or cycling. So here is where you need to make up the ground and why you feel sluggish. The beauty is that as long as it took you to build up to that level of conditioning before, your body can somehow remember the kind of shape it was in, and should bounce back quickly; as long as you do it carefully. Wink
                      suggestion...use a heart rate monitor to keep you from getting re injured...good luck Smile...be patient