2018 New York Marathon Thread (Read 217 times)

if too many people qualified one year (whatever that means for NY), they would just make the standards a minute or two harder

That possibility is also worrisome for some of us.

Dave

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Thanks Led! This is encouraging as I was wondering what happens in practice. The way it’s worded in heir website, clearly it can ttheoretically become a situation where most people who qualify through non-NYRR races don’t get in. But knowing that it’s not like that in practice is already a motivator. I’m looking at the 2020 race anyway.

I completely agree that in the future it may change and that could

be worrisome. But I guess the standards are much harder than Boston (even the new standards), the field is notably larger and it is my impression that fast runners are generally more drawn to Boston than NYCM. That’s in our favor.

Hope you get in.  It's a fantastic race!

onemile

Who's ready to taper now? 

Julia1971

FYI, I published a guide to the New York City Marathon on my blog.  It has most of the stuff I had in the first post in previous threads and a whole bunch of other stuff.  I may edit the course information with more details after this year's race..

Julia1971

Who's ready to taper now? 

I'm tapering the Pfitz way, which means I raced today (5K in 22:44) and run 17 miles tomorrow.

onemile

I'm tapering the Pfitz way, which means I raced today (5K in 22:44) and run 17 miles tomorrow.

Ouch.

I had 16 with 4 easy progression, 10 at marathon pace and 2 cool down this morning

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I'm tapering via Hanson's, so I still have a track workout and 13 miles with 10@MP next week.  I really am ready to cut back, though .

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Taper starting now off of Daniels 2Q. Don’t feel nearly as burned out as I usually do at this stage of marathon training, so that’s good?

Julia - I thought your blog was really good! The only thing I might change is that the blue line in NYC actually doesn’t indicate the tangent like it does in other races like Berlin. It’s usually just in the middle of the road. Also, I couldn’t tell if your comment regarding crowds around mile 23 telling runners exactly what they need to hear was sarcastic or not because my experience has been that people at this point say some really silly things 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Julia1971

Julia - I thought your blog was really good! The only thing I might change is that the blue line in NYC actually doesn’t indicate the tangent like it does in other races like Berlin. It’s usually just in the middle of the road. Also, I couldn’t tell if your comment regarding crowds around mile 23 telling runners exactly what they need to hear was sarcastic or not because my experience has been that people at this point say some really silly things 

Good catch, JMac!  I'll edit that.  I'm picturing the line and know it doesn't hug the corners, so now sure why I was thinking it follows the tangent...  And, I was being sincere!  LOL!  I can't recall anyone saying, "You're almost there."  Smile  I suppose at that point in the marathon, it's hit or miss...  For the past few years, I've cheered at Mile 24 of the Marine Corps Marathon and I would say 75% of them are indifferent because they're so focused on finishing, 12.5% seem to appreciate the encouragement - whatever it is I'm saying, and the other 12.5% look like they'd like to punch me in the throat.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Julia - Nice guide and pacing / description of the race!  What spectators say (and where they say it) is always something that makes me smirk, even if I still want to throat punch them.  I caught this guy hanging around mile 24 the last time I ran it.  Of course, he made me laugh....

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

For most cool/cold weather races, my family usually meets me afterwards with a coat or jacket.  Is the Big Blue Poncho warm enough that I need not bother them to carry my coat around all day?

JMac11

RIP Milkman

For most cool/cold weather races, my family usually meets me afterwards with a coat or jacket.  Is the Big Blue Poncho warm enough that I need not bother them to carry my coat around all day?

Depends on the day. If it's 40, cloudy, and 25 mph winds, it's gonna be rough afterwards. But for most normal conditions, it has worked out well because you get both the heat sheet and the poncho to keep you warm.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yes, the poncho is quite warm.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

+1 on poncho being good enough.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Thanks on the poncho input.  I will ask my family to pack a dry shirt.