2020 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 408 times)

Anonymous Guest

So a September solo marathon in southeast TX. I’m gonna need all six hours. 

also, reading a like further it sounds like we can use our 2020 qualifying times for 2021.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

delicate flower

Virtual event and we get a medal!  (Derek Murphy will have a field day verifying times.)

LOL - well at least the virtual runs won't count towards 2021 qualification.

Can't say I'm surprised by this news.  Now I wonder if the -4:25 that got me into 2020 will be good enough for 2021, since I am sure there will be qualifiers that did not register in 2020 who will now want to run in 2021.

I'll run the virtual race.  We get our money back, plus the shirt and medal.  I'll take it.

<3

Julia1971

So a September solo marathon in southeast TX. I’m gonna need all six hours. 

also, reading a like further it sounds like we can use our 2020 qualifying times for 2021.

I also noticed it said refunds will be offered and not refunds will be given, which makes me think if you want your money back, you may have to give up something like a spot in next year's race.  Although I'm not sure they've said they're offering entries to the 2021 race for 2020 participants...

Julia1971

LOL - well at least the virtual runs won't count towards 2021 qualification.

Can't say I'm surprised by this news.  Now I wonder if the -4:25 that got me into 2020 will be good enough for 2021, since I am sure there will be qualifiers that did not register in 2020 who will now want to run in 2021.

I'll run the virtual race.  We get our money back, plus the shirt and medal.  I'll take it.

Don't you dare try hoping on a bike to complete 26.2 miles and get that medal!  And, the language about the refund sounded iffy to me but it could just be that 20+ years of working with lawyers has taught me to pay attention to verb choices like offered vs. given.

I'm not surprised and am relieved that I can check this off as something I don't have to think about anymore.

delicate flower

Don't you dare try hoping on a bike to complete 26.2 miles and get that medal!  And, the language about the refund sounded iffy to me but it could just be that 20+ years of working with lawyers has taught me to pay attention to verb choices like offered vs. given.

I'm not surprised and am relieved that I can check this off as something I don't have to think about anymore.

The language is weird.  Maybe they will offer the refund, but also ask if you'd like to donate the registration fee instead.  I've had a few cancelled races do this.

I would not be surprised to see one our local running stores put on a local event for virtual Boston runners, like a looped course with aid stations.

<3

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

The language is weird.  Maybe they will offer the refund, but also ask if you'd like to donate the registration fee instead.  I've had a few cancelled races do this.

I would not be surprised to see one our local running stores put on a local event for virtual Boston runners, like a looped course with aid stations.

I'm sure the BAA is still figuring all this stuff out, especially the 2021 qualifications guidelines.  Obviously, this is quite a unique situation.

Running Problem

Problem Child

A virtual run is a joke. All this to say they've been the longest continuous marathon. They should have done the virtual run back in April. Since they're offering a virtual run no qualifying time for the 2020 race should be valid for the 2021 race. If people choose not to participate in the 2020 run it should be treated like not participating in the 2018 or 2019 run. People who crossed the finish line in 2013 weren't offered a free entry to 2014.

2021, which I'm qualified for, should be treated just like 2015 and 2008 and every other year. It isn't their obligation to get you a qualifying race and there is still PLENTY of time to qualify with states opening back up. CIM is already offering 3 years of deferral if you sign up for 2020. BAA could honor any CIM 2020 time as a qualifying time for 2021 if they can't fill every spot to people who earned their 2021 qualifiers when there was time.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

there is still PLENTY of time to qualify with states opening back up. 

I don't see how. States may be starting to open up, but not to the level of packing 30,000 people into starting corrals. No one really knows, but it's hard to see them pulling off any of the major fall marathons. CIM is not till December, so maybe a better chance but still iffy. I guess Boston can push out the registration deadline a little, but IDK how far they can go.

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

I don't see how. States may be starting to open up, but not to the level of packing 30,000 people into starting corrals. No one really knows, but it's hard to see them pulling off any of the major fall marathons. CIM is not till December, so maybe a better chance but still iffy. I guess Boston can push out the registration deadline a little, but IDK how far they can go.

Sing up for CIM in December. It is only 6 months away which should be enough time for people to start training.

I'm sure plenty of runners will just hope on the "there is no way a race can happen. It isn't safe." bandwagon. Everyone already knows running is bad for your knees.

Besides with 2 months until the race was supposed to happen NO ONE knows how open Boston would be. I'd bet $100 if the city of Boston said "we'll allow 30,000 people here to run the Boston Marathon" you'd have qualified runners looking to defer their entry to 2021. It's never been allowed before and COVID 19 shouldn't allow anyone to move to the next year. Sorry your race was canceled. Here is your refund. Be glad you had an opportunity to be refunded because plenty of races didn't even do that.

Grandma's marathon is scheduled for mid June. There is a qualifier right there.

Revel Mt Hood. could be run if "mass gatherings" as their website calls them are allowed.

Jack and Jill in Washington in July.

Delaware Marathon August 2.

Running with the Bears Marathon in California August 15.

Coeur d; Alene marathon is also in August.

Oakland Marathon August 30.

There are still options to qualfy for the 2021 Boston Marathon. If someone chooses not to qualify for the 2021 and just wants to be given entry to the race because they qualified for the 2020 race I think it's bullshit. I don't get to just run the 2022 race because I qualified for 2021. Why should they when options exist to qualify for 2021? Oh because they stopped training? So can I use that excuse as well because who knows now if the April marathon will be held?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm actually pretty impressed that they're offering a full refund, I assume in lieu of a deferral.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Grandmas canceled a long time ago. Not sure about the others. But very few large marathons are being held and most small ones are also canceled. i’m still not sure if I will be able to hold my 300 person marathon in November.

Grandma's marathon is scheduled for mid June. There is a qualifier right there.

Revel Mt Hood. could be run if "mass gatherings" as their website calls them are allowed.

Jack and Jill in Washington in July.

Delaware Marathon August 2.

Running with the Bears Marathon in California August 15.

Coeur d; Alene marathon is also in August.

Oakland Marathon August 30.

I'd place the odds of a 30,000 person Boston Marathon in April of 2021 at about even.

Runners run

Running Problem

Problem Child

Grandmas canceled a long time ago. Not sure about the others. But very few large marathons are being held and most small ones are also canceled. i’m still not sure if I will be able to hold my 300 person marathon in November.

It is response like this (I want to run the race, but I DON'T WANT to requalify) I think of when I say "sorry you don't want to run a marathon. You shouldn't get special consideration because you're not willing to qualify."

Maybe check the other marathons I listed as options to qualify and/or the dates I listed.

Sorry you won't be able to hold your marathon. I honestly thing people will be/are upset about it.

mikey Since Boston 2020 is virtual I'm going to agree with a 50/50 chance. I'm sure a lot of people pulled out as soon as they announced September was the date. The rest started asking for refunds about an hour ago. The people who keep their 2020 jackets (personal opinion) should have to show they actually completed the race. I'll assume everyone who wears the jacket never ran the time trial.

VDOT 53.37 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Huh? That’s not remotely what I said, friend. Where did I say I don’t want to requalify? Where did I mention qualifying at all?

It is response like this (I want to run the race, but I DON'T WANT to requalify) 

BeeRunB