medrol pack (methyprednisolone) for inflammation (Read 728 times)

jwowen218

Anyone been prescribed this before? It's short course, ramp-down steroids. Only 6 days so I figure the side effects can be THAT bad. I am more curious though if it has worked for other runners out there and stubborn soft-tissue inflammation/soreness. If so, how long did it take to "kick in". Truthfully, I am not looking to hear horror stories because that just makes me crazy. But any medrol pack (or generic brand) success stories, then please do share!  Many thanks!

kcam

I used to have a lot of lower back issues (not related to running) and was prescribed a medrol pack for one extremely acute episode.  More than 15 years ago so I can't really remember how long it took to kick in but it was a resounding success.  Sorry I can't provide more specifics but I can say that I wouldn't have a problem with that course of action under the right circumstances again.

Best Present Ever

Medrol is the best.  Works pretty quickly for me.  No real side effects. 

Hoodoo Guru

I had pain from an injury that was still very acute after two weeks.  Noticed the difference after the first day of the steroid pack and as far as I can remember, the problem was resolved completely by the end of the 5 days.

The tangents are moot.

jwowen218

Thanks guys! It's nice to read positive stuff. Really appreciate it!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It is fine. Not as good as a straight round of prednisone without taper, and kinda a bit of a hassle to take. But it is fine.

Hoban-Jay

The only negative thing about it, is that being a steroidal hormone, it'll damage your liver and kidneys...but you don't really need those things to run anyway, so you should be fine!

Feeling the growl again

The only negative thing about it, is that being a steroidal hormone, it'll damage your liver and kidneys...but you don't really need those things to run anyway, so you should be fine!

Prednisone etc can have nasty side effects (humped back, anyone?), however most of them typically do not occur during short course therapy.  The only side effect I have experienced through two courses of steroids (for severe rashes) was an amazing short-term boost in running performance.  It made it clear to me why people dope, since prednisone isn't even the good stuff.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xor

So THATS what happened to my liver.

Dammit.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

it'll damage your liver and kidneys

Incorrect.

joescott

I took a medrol pack in the spring of 2011 to get me through some issues I was having with my knee and I was just trying to get to the starting line of a marathon, you know.  Anyway, I think it helped me not at all, and it made me irritable and hard to live with.  More than usual anyway.  Just my experience; works wonders for lots of people.  I think it depends on the real underlying issue.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.