Iron Strength Workout? (Read 142 times)

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

It looks like this workout plan is being sold by Rodale (Runner's World). Does anyone have any experience with it? It looks like it's a 2 DVD set specifically geared towards runners.

- Andrew

kilkee

runktrun

If you like having a regimented workout laid out for you to follow, then I would highly recommend the DVD.  I actually went to see Dr Metzl for my ongoing glute/hammy/torn hip labrum issues and he urged me to follow his Iron Strength routine (along with rest, PT and various prescription NSAIDs).  I was totally skeptical at first - this doctor is trying to sell me his own DVD backed by Runner's World.  Um, no thanks.  But then I got desperate and ordered the DVD and the book (I think there was a promo and I got 2 dvds on the book for cheap) and I noticed a difference in my range of motion and pain reduction within a week.  The basic premise is plyometrics.  I had been doing a lot of isolated exercises in PT and was getting nowhere.  The plyo stuff made a difference.  Now, of course you could devise your own circuit of jump squats, jump lunges, burpees and pushups and probably get the exact same benefit, but if (like me) you are loathe to do any sort of core or strength work without some guidance, then Iron Strength would be a good choice.  I hadn't thought to try some of the plyo moves before seeing them in the videos.

The two DVDs give you a long strength workout, a 15min workout, a "glute" blaster workout and a focused core workout.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I purchased his book "Running Strong" last week at Barns and Noble $21.99.  I haven't tried the

Iron Strength work out yet what with Christmas guests and all.

I'm mostly concerned with fixing my knee problems so started today with the knee exercises.

It does seem like a good workout as kilkee says.  I plan to stick with it and add the Iron Strength

work out as I go along.

MTA:  The Iron Strength workout is in the back of the book.  I don't know if it contains every thing

in the videos.

steph  

I have the DVDs and have done the main workout. It's only as tough as you want to make it, but I think the exercises are good for building and working on over-all strength. If you push yourself, the workout will be difficult, and worth it.

What's interesting in the video is the two "models" that are working wit the Dr. The guy is supposedly a sub 3 marathoner, and the girl isn't suppose to be that good of a runner. But the guy really struggles with the exercises and the girl works through it seemingly easily.  Just shows you the principle of specificity.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Wow, that's some pretty good responses. Thanks!

- Andrew