Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

The fall of blowing up a marathon is much more epic than only being a few miles from the start with the ability to jog it in.

Don't I know it! 

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Steve - I got you, don't worry. If they insist on this silly takeover attempt we'll summon Piwi Kiwi. No one can defend!

Dont worry Flavio I'm ready to bolster Kiwi representation 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Lot's of interesting material and discussion recently, I am taking notes Smile

great workout Flavio!

I am increasing mileage so I will avoid fast stuff for a while. I am learning how to follow books and have been following advance marathoning last year and I have based this year marathon training on that... but I am learning how JD could be actually closer to my needs (as old fast twitch guy...)

I will report on training on Sunday. For now I managed a couple of half marathons before breakfast this week.

have a great weekend

Marco

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

zebano

ocramireob and Brew, I find it interesting you're just starting to follow plans and I'm learning how not to follow a plan. I'm actually mostly following the principals in Hudson's Run Faster but the point is I'm trying to listen to my body and adjust based on that.

Speaking of Hudson's plans, did anyone find the "speed" workouts ridiculously easy? and their M paced tempos absurdly hard? Anyways I've now gotten injured following a Hudson plan, following a Pfitz plan and following a JD plan so I'm making my own plans Bless My Heart.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

ocramireob and Brew, I find it interesting you're just starting to follow plans and I'm learning how not to follow a plan. I'm actually mostly following the principals in Hudson's Run Faster but the point is I'm trying to listen to my body and adjust based on that.

No sorry I didn't express what I meant correctly. I am just starting to follow JD now, I used advance marathoning for the last 2 years. Since I restarted in 2013, but before joining this community a couple of years ago, I have been following random plans (mostly from online sites such as runnersworld). When younger I had various coaches who were writing plans for me and I learned a lot from them.

I like reading opinions and others' experiences here to learn something new every week Smile

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

Running Problem

Problem Child

zebano I've followed a plan since my second marathon and it's done well. I like not having to think as much and I'm too cheap to pay for a coach. I guess not having a plan is the plan for some. Since I have no background in running other than what I read in books as a fat kid I like the plan telling me to get out there and run a workout. The one plan I've followed has three paces and after reading the Jack Daniels book I'm starting to understand running 100-400m repeats at "almost all out pace" can help develop the fast twitch muscles I've not developed running 5k pace.

Ocramireob you could keep speed work as part of a training plan. I think my speed workouts are 6-7 miles which is a good way to get miles in AND break up the monotony of easy run day after day after day after day.

I am going to try an Jack Daniels Interval workout as suggested. Pick one from the table in the book, dedicate the time to do it, do it at the prescribed paces and learn by doing. Thinking about running 1 mile pace lets me know just how lightening fast it will be, Saturdays are a good day for me to do speed work because I have more time (understanding wife) to get it done, and I can do it alone. I learned the other day how a slower runner will try to keep up with a faster runner possibly ruining both workouts.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Ocramireob you could keep speed work as part of a training plan. I think my speed workouts are 6-7 miles which is a good way to get miles in AND break up the monotony of easy run day after day after day after day.

I wish I changed my nickname here... it's not the best... Marco is fine Smile

I normally include speed work. This year I was behind due to travelling for work and I have decided to ignore the normal ramping up the miles... I went from faster 30-40 miles per week to 50 to 65, aiming for 75+ in a few weeks. I know this is a recipe for disaster, but I hope my body can cope if I don't do speed for a month, give it the time to adapt to the new miles and then add speed work again.

Depending on how the next few weeks go, I plan to restart a few days of speed work towards mid-february, aiming for a sub 3h20 marathon in may and maybe a sub 90 HM at some point

Upcoming races:  

???

Running Problem

Problem Child

I wish I changed my nickname here... it's not the best... Marco is fine Smile

I normally include speed work. This year I was behind due to travelling for work and I have decided to ignore the normal ramping up the miles... I went from faster 30-40 miles per week to 50 to 65, aiming for 75+ in a few weeks. I know this is a recipe for disaster, but I hope my body can cope if I don't do speed for a month, give it the time to adapt to the new miles and then add speed work again.

Depending on how the next few weeks go, I plan to restart a few days of speed work towards mid-february, aiming for a sub 3h20 marathon in may and maybe a sub 90 HM at some point

Top right corner. Click the thing that looks like a gear. Account Info. Screen name. You're Welcome.

I think a lot of marathon plans have speed work in the start, and lots of focus on marathon pace or threshold pace towards the end so you can run faster at your lactate threshold pace. There are some Jack Daniels workouts where you actually run a crazy fast sprint at the end of a workout like speed work you might enjoy.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Zebano - I think the key to any success is something in between: following the principles of a plan, but not necessarily what’s exactly prescribed. I have never actually followed a JD plan. I use his principles in my training and do exactly what you say: adjust based on what I think my body needs. Your point about getting injured is a big reason of why I don’t exactly follow plans. It’s also because nothing goes 100% perfect during a cycle so if you don’t follow the principles you’ll have no idea how to adjust when that injury/life in the way days happen.

Piwi - get out of here, we know you’re just living it up in the sun, surfing and fishing the day away while the rest of us are slaving away chasing some stupid time goals.

Brew - 200m repeats are pretty easy to start. The 400m are rough. But the best of the best workouts Daniels does are mixed I and R workouts. If you can do something like 5x1K @ I plus 6x400 @ R, you’re set up for success. But I wouldn’t do that to start 

Marco - for marathon training, don’t worry too much about speed (although I like to keep some), but you should definitely be doing strides. They’re the poor man’s speed workout and keep you in touch with what it feels like to run mile pace.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Jmac I feel like you know me too well, today was fishing, surfing, watching OKC, bodyboarding and then feasting on crumbed snapper.

I do have the pressure of jogging 8kms tomorrow to meet my 40 km weekly goal 

Steve were you at the Hagley Park beer festival today. I feel like you were 

What is going on in the Marathon training thread ?

Too many grumpy runners in there.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Thank brew! Now I have a more human nickname Smile still me Smile

I'll get some variation back in a week or two. Good point on the strides jmac!

Kiwi,not sure what's going on there... I tried to write a couple of time but didn't dare to Wink  I prefer to watch and write in a while

Upcoming races:  

???

JamesD

JamesD

Another base week for me.  My legs seem to be adjusting ok to this mileage, as I averaged 14 sec/mile faster than last week and 7 faster than the previous week on almost identical runs at similar effort.  Also, my knee niggle from last week went away after several days, and my knees didn’t hurt much after standing for an hour on a hard floor at a social event Thursday - that usually leaves them aching for a couple of days.  Friday’s 10-miler after an off day was too fast to be truly easy effort, and I felt it a little today, but I guess it means I’m recovering pretty well if I went too fast without really trying. This week has been cold by local standards -- lows a few degrees below freezing on some mornings -- so I ran in the afternoon.

Sun - off

Mon - 12.5 miles easy@ 8:23/mile

Tues - 7.3 easy @ 8:27

Weds - 10. 4 easy @ 8:20

Thurs - off

Fri - 10.4 moderate @ 8:10

Sat - 6.8 slow incl. strides, 8:28/mile for the 5.7 pre-strides 

Total - 47.4 miles

12-week average - 32 mpw

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Hey all.  Been a busy two weeks.  Lots of work, caring for the kid and pregnant wife.  Mostly 4:50 am runs or 8:00 pm runs.  The workouts the last two weeks have been really easy, which makes me feel like my training is going well.  On the whole easy pace thing.  Granted it matters what your resting (44) and max HR (190ish) are...but my 7 min mile treadmills my HR average is in the 130-136 most days on 4 to 11 miles.  Seems reasonable effort wise, but welcome to feed back.  If you are looking at workouts on my log note that the paces via garmin (7 min pace often shoes up at 6:50 and 5:50 pace shoes up as 6:31....IDK) are usually off, but my notes are correct.  I'll finally read the last two weeks of conversation since I finally have a free night.  Prepare for a comment storm....

Last week 84.5 miles....this week 80-81 miles.

<colgroup><col width="60" /><col width="73" /><col width="82" /><col width="108" /><col width="461" /></colgroup>
                            M 13-Jan 9 1:03:05 (w/ 6x 100m strides during one of the runs) 8pm
                                4.07 0:27:54 Tread 5 am
                            Tu 14-Jan 10.53 1:09:41 2 x 2mi @ 6:00/mi w/ 0.5mi recovery (3mi w/u & 3mi c/d)
                            W 15-Jan 9.01 1:02:37 9 Easy (w/ 6x 100m strides during one of the runs)
                            Th 16-Jan 8 0:52:53 4mi tempo @ 6:15/mi (2mi w/u & 2mi c/d)
                            F 17-Jan 6 0:42:13 6:30 pm tread (tight, warm burn in IT band)
                                4 0:28:13 lunch treadmill
                            Sa 18-Jan 16 1:55:23 Collegeville run in 25 degrees, mildly windy at parts
                            Su 19-Jan 17 1:59:20 12 mile (1:23:43) and 5 mile (35:37) to catch up on miles and mourn packer loss
                            M 20-Jan 4 0:28:01 6 pm tread
                                9 1:03:12 8 am treadmill with striders
                            Tu 21-Jan 11.01 1:10:16 9 x 1km @ 5:49/mi w/ 0.25mi recovery (2mi w/u &1.4 c/d to 11mi total) miscounted and ran 1 extra. This felt like a moderate effort but very in control and no big deal.
                            W 22-Jan 9 1:02:49 9 Easy (w/ 6x 100m strides during one of the runs)
                            Th 23-Jan 9 0:59:04 5mi tempo @ 6:15/mi (2mi w/u & 2mi c/d)
                            F 24-Jan 8.6 1:00:01 9 & 4 Easy Double
                                4.46 0:31:17 Outside on the frontage road
                            Sa 25-Jan 14.01 1:39:25 Collegeville run felt pretty easy
                            Su 26-Jan 11   Going to run outside tomorrow morning

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

• James D
                                • Keep on the base building. I’m on week 15 of it and I’m only going a little insane.
                              • JMAC keep crushing the easy miles. After my 10 mile race in Nov and settling down for a bit, it surprised me that only now am I feeling good again.  The building up of miles to 90 per week for a while was just exhausting.  Upping miles and getting into shape again is rough.
                              • Keen OK is definitely the south….We in the Midwest do not claim you.
                              • Steve is the leader merely because the rest of us were too lazy to want to do the work.

Looking forward to seeing everyones week.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Marky_Mark_17

Jmac I feel like you know me too well, today was fishing, surfing, watching OKC, bodyboarding and then feasting on crumbed snapper.

This seems like an excellent day.

Mine involved 10km of hills, watching some of the NHL All Star weekend, taking Miss Almost 3 to practice skiing, chilli for lunch, snowboarding in the sun this afternoon, drinking bourbons in the spa, and something with fries for dinner.

The other great thing about All Star weekend is it means my Detroit Red Wings can’t lose any more games over the next few days (since they are not playing). They are a total dumpster fire this year.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"