2021 Sub 3:00 Marathon Thread (Read 453 times)

Jmac bugger ! But at least you have golf to keep you sane.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’ve just ordered a pair of Nike ZoomX Invincible trainers which could possibly be my new easy running shoe as I’ve read good things about them and a friend of mine said they feel amazing!  Anyone else have a pair?  I usually stick to Skechers for easy/recovery runs...which I think is frowned upon by the more competitive athlete. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

jhudak55

Keen: Good luck tomorrow. Hopefully you were able to dodge any illness!

Running Problem

Problem Child

Congratulations to everyone pulling off big races. 

cal very impressive time at Big Bear. Even without considering you ran a marathon about 5 weeks ago.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

Congratulations to everyone pulling off big races. 

cal very impressive time at Big Bear. Even without considering you ran a marathon about 5 weeks ago.

Ha-ha! Thanks! Now I know I could withstand downhill races - yep, I was not sure about it, but I think running down 3 times the road from Mt Diablo helped.

Congrats to Keen on a great race. I have almost the same PR at 10K and I ran less mileage than him for marathon training - so, he should expect great finish time at CIM!

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Two very good races.  Cal - I can't believe you ran ANOTHER marathon.  CIM will make 4 for this season, right?

CK - you are thrilled with that PR and you should be.  That is a really good sign.

Mikkey - no comment on the Invincibles.  But I will say that I also have a pair of Skechers (Go Meb Speed 6) and I like them a lot.  My only issue with Skechers is that they seem to have the same issue as New Balance, where their heels are often a bit too wide for my heel.

55 miles running, 3 hours pool-running, a bit of arc-trainer work, and 1500 yards swimming.

M: 90 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core.
              T: 5 miles (10:12), an arc-trainer workout of 3x4 sets of 90 seconds very hard/30 seconds easy (took an extra 60 seconds recovery between sets), and then 3 miles (9:27). Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
              W: Streaming yoga and 8 miles very easy (9:45) plus drills and two hill strides.
              Th: 12 miles, including 8 Iwo Jima hill repeats; followed with with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
              F: 90 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core.
              Sa: 8 miles very easy (9:24), streaming yoga, and 4 miles (9:21) plus drills/strides and some 200s at around 7:00 pace .
              Su: 14.5 miles progressive, split as the first 5 miles averaging 9:24, next 5 miles averaging 8:12, and the next 4.5 miles averaging 7:18. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.

Saw the neuro this week for both an EMG/NCS and a general neurological exam - he didn't find much with either.  So that's really good news - nobody WANTS a neurologist to find stuff wrong with them.  On the other hand, I would like to have an answer (and more specifically, an answer that is benign and easily/quickly fixed.)  I didn't get that.

To be complete, he ordered a set of MRIs - brain, cervical spine, and thoracic spine.  So I get those in early December.  In the meantime, he suggested that this might be orthopedic - something's off somewhere and my body is basically in defense mode as a result.  So I'm going to follow up on that.

In the meantime, things do seem to be trending upwards, though I've still got a way to go.  This morning's long run was one of the best runs I've had in quite some time. 

I would really like to know what is going on, though, and how to prevent a repeat.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Cal: Very impressive race yesterday! I've got to think being at high altitude for the first part must make things tough; did you notice the altitude at all?

Keen: Great job on the 10k! That's around my road 10k PR, so I think you're at least at sub 2:55 shape on a flat course, and on the CIM course I think 2:50 is possible. I added you to the page 1 table, let me know if you have a goal time.

Darkwave: Good to hear a neurological issue is pretty much ruled out. And I think it's great your getting the MRIs; those could be informative on a lot of things. I hope you get to the bottom of this. I agree, that was a great long run you had today.

Mikkey: I just took a look at your training log: how the hell did you get in shape so fast?! I'm jealous. Great to see those big LRs. I think you're sandbagging big time with that goal for Valencia. 

jhudak: Great race report and congrats again on the big PR and sub 3!

JMac: Let us know if you have any updates from the doctor; hope you're feeling ok.

After a ridiculous number of mini-injuries following the major tendon injury I am finally (fingers crossed) back at it enough to show my face around here. Seemed for a week like I woke up each day with a new calf strain on alternating legs. Aerobically I still feel kind of weak but I think with a couple more workouts that should come around. Still don't know what I'll do for a next race. Houston is probably the soonest possibility.

Weekly for period: From: 11/08/2021 To 11/14/2021

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                in ft
                11/09 Morning Run 10.21 16.43 1:24:52 8:19 5:10 587
                11/10 Morning Run w/ 12x1 min 12.16 19.56 1:34:18 7:45 4:49 692
                11/11 Morning Run 10.20 16.41 1:25:17 8:22 5:12 584
                11/12 Morning Run 13.16 21.17 1:48:33 8:15 5:08 866
                11/13 Morning Run 8.32 13.39 1:14:31 8:57 5:34 548
                11/14 Long run 18.10 29.13 2:23:35 7:56 4:56 1007

Total distance: 72.15 mi

2:52:16 (2018)

CalBears

I accidentally closed the tab with a long message of my thoughts about yesterday's race and with all other stuff. I am so pissed off at somebody and cannot do it again right now. My wife heard all the words I just cried out and she said I am crazy and mental Sad Maybe next time Sad

Cal I think we have all done that. However your wife is right ✅ 

Nice job on that kiwi certified for records marathon. Age group win too.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

CalBears

I thought only the short courses are kiwi certified? 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I thought only the short courses are kiwi certified? 

Any downhill course is by definition a short course.

Think about it this way - If a downhill course is a triangle, then when measuring the length of a course, USATF (or whatever other body) measures the hypotenuse of the triangle.  When they should be measuring the base leg of the triangle.  Which, as we all know, is shorter than the hypotenuse.

Ergo, all downhill courses are short.  And the steeper the downhill, the shorter the course.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I did that a couple of weeks ago. It sucks!

DW - that's interesting, haven't thought about that. Seems backwards though (the hypotenuse is correct, but GPS is wrong). But I've promised not to talk about short/downhill courses anymore 

Cal - I can't believe you ran another marathon, especially one that is going to take a long time to recover from given the downhill nature!

JT - going in for the xray tomorrow, and then we'll see when I can get an MRI. But I tried to run across the street this weekend to catch a light and it was still very high pain, so it's not going anywhere anytime soon. Feel like I've developed a limp too. Glad to hear you are improving.

Keen - great race! Now can you tell us what your goal is for CIM, you've been too cagey about announcing it!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Think about it this way - If a downhill course is a triangle, then when measuring the length of a course, USATF (or whatever other body) measures the hypotenuse of the triangle.  When they should be measuring the base leg of the triangle.  Which, as we all know, is shorter than the hypotenuse.

Ergo, all downhill courses are short.  And the steeper the downhill, the shorter the course.

Of course, this means that all uphill courses are short too, and the steeper the uphill, the shorter the course.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                            dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

*Michael Bluth: What? No. No no no.*

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW - that's interesting, haven't thought about that. Seems backwards though (the hypotenuse is correct, but GPS is wrong). But I've promised not to talk about short/downhill courses anymore 

I have made no such promise.

Courses are measured/certified by measuring wheel - which is measuring the length of the surface of the running route - i.e. the hypotenuse.

(I suspect that in practicality, the slope of even what we consider to be a steep downhill is so minimal that there is negligible difference between the hypotenuse and the base leg)