Vibrams settles lawsuit - benefit claims not supported by science (Read 276 times)

Latent Runner

I'm surprised no one has sued Nike. I'm sure more people were injured trying to run faster or jump higher than trying to run 'barefoot.'

Silly me, I always thought the whole "run faster and jump higher" (courtesy of the "action wedge") thing was the slogan for PF Flyers.  Tongue

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
    LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

That's what my husband and I were talking about.  Neither one of us can recall Vibram making claims that were any wilder than any other shoe company.   We seem to recall the FiveFingers being marketed with substantially less BS than most running shoes.

My thought as well.  I never felt I was deceived, or that they made any outrageous claims.  In fact, every pair I have bought had a fair amount of cautionary information in the box.

SillyC

My thought as well.  I never felt I was deceived, or that they made any outrageous claims.  In fact, every pair I have bought had a fair amount of cautionary information in the box.

Apparently, prior to 2010, they did NOT offer cautionary warnings.

This whole mess - make claims that can get you sued - ugh.  So now we have products that make ludicrous claims.  Like really, really ludicrous claims about made up conditions and the product offers some made-up benefits..... just so they can say something without getting sued.

I wonder if any shoe companies are afraid to make the claim "Our shoes go on your feet" for fear of getting sued.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

This whole mess - make claims that can get you sued - ugh.  So now we have products that make ludicrous claims.  Like really, really ludicrous claims about made up conditions and the product offers some made-up benefits..... just so they can say something without getting sued.

Anyone want to talk about nutritional supplements?

Menace to Sobriety

Which was kind of my point. I once heard that a good statician can support both sides of an argument with the same numbers....

Yes, but there were at least numbers.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

BeeRunB

It's not the club, it's the golfer.

It's not the bat, it's the batter

it's not the leisure suit, it's the dancer

It's not the kiss, it's the sycophant

It's not the poison, it's the Münchausen By Proxier

It's not the shoes, it's the runner!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

ultramarathon/triathlete

I believe Sketchers and Reebok were both sued for claims on their easytone and whatever sketchers offered...  other magic shoes.

It might seem like a sham but as someone who worked in big advertising (including a shoe brand with wild claims on their magic shoe's ability, which was utter BS imo) I strongly believe we need lawsuits like this to keep advertisers from going absolutely crazy with the bs.  It doesn't stop it entirely, obviously, but believe me when I say the big ad firms are aware of pushing it too far. It helps a little at least.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                  Gatorade Endurance Team

Imminent Catastrophe

Meanwhile,  I'm listening to satellite radio and every other ad is for a pill that will make my penis bigger and better. Where's my money?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

BeeRunB

Meanwhile,  I'm listening to satellite radio and every other ad is for a pill that will make my penis bigger and better. Where's my money?

from http://xkcd.com/194/

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I believe Sketchers and Reebok were both sued for claims on their easytone and whatever sketchers offered...  other magic shoes.

It might seem like a sham but as someone who worked in big advertising (including a shoe brand with wild claims on their magic shoe's ability, which was utter BS imo) I strongly believe we need lawsuits like this to keep advertisers from going absolutely crazy with the bs.  It doesn't stop it entirely, obviously, but believe me when I say the big ad firms are aware of pushing it too far. It helps a little at least.

I think a lot of people believe that companies should be able to get away with anything, as long as they are increasing profit, with no moral culpability whatsoever, and so are opposed to class action suits, and the whole concept of legal responsibility.

By "a lot of people" I mean "at least a lot of corporate CEOs".

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

I think a lot of people believe that companies should be able to get away with anything, as long as they are increasing profit, with no moral culpability whatsoever, and so are opposed to class action suits, and the whole concept of legal responsibility.

By "a lot of people" I mean "at least a lot of corporate CEOs".

I don't think most people (meaning most people, not CEOs) think companies should be held to a reasonable standard in advertising their products.  I think what most people (like me) don't like about class-action lawsuits is that lawyers sucker people into grouping their claims into them, and then at the end of the day the lawyers walk away with most of the money and the people actually affected get no meaningful amount.

I've been notified I'm able to collect on class-action lawsuits where the award would not even pay the postage to file the claim, much less for my time.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xhristopher

I don't think most people (meaning most people, not CEOs) think companies should be held to a reasonable standard in advertising their products.  I think what most people (like me) don't like about class-action lawsuits is that lawyers sucker people into grouping their claims into them, and then at the end of the day the lawyers walk away with most of the money and the people actually affected get no meaningful amount.

I've been notified I'm able to collect on class-action lawsuits where the award would not even pay the postage to file the claim, much less for my time.

Dude. You are entitled to your opinion. Here's a payout I've received from one of these class action suits.

Feeling the growl again

LOL.  Yeah, chase a rolling penny into oncoming traffic.  Big grin

Conversely I opted out of one and threatened to making becoming a pain in their arse in court my personal hobby until I got bored with it and got $1500 (they really only owed me $1300 but I went all in) express-mailed to me.

Dude. You are entitled to your opinion. Here's a payout I've received from one of these class action suits.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills