My first 20 miler! (almost an accident) (Read 769 times)

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Yesterday boded to be a repeat of my 17 miles of utter misery. TOM kept me from running Saturday and I was only mildly less sick, but still not on solid food. For pre-run, I had a large white Chocolate Mocha and some vitamin water. I was also worn out from a weekend of teaching and was trying Clif Shots for the first time. Prepared for 18 miles of misery, I headed out loaded down with water (which was the right call since the fountains were still off. The trail I was on was rolling hills, with one long, steeply graded hill. There was a race there on Saturday, so there were fun comments along the hill, "Up Up and Away"; "Not Even Close", "Now the Fun Begins," Etc. Made me smile, even though the hill stinks. Once I hit the top of the hill, I noted I was pushing my pacing (into the high 10's, I'm slow) and kept making myself slow down. The trail is about 4.3 miles in a loop, but I would wander down some side trails, so each lap was more like 5 miles. I felt great after two laps and one choked down gel, so I did a third lap up the hill (I planned on doing two up and two down). Mile 13: still felt strong and thought…hmmm, what if I went to 20 miles…. I took a side trail for two miles, effectively stretching the third lap so the fourth I had a 20 mile option. I could do an out and back, or, once I pass the 2.2 mile point on the loop, I’m in for 20. By the subject, you know what I did. I felt great, my legs got a bit thrashed coming down the hill, but otherwise finished strong and am walking fine today. I finished and was very consistent on pacing the whole run-- 12's when doing the hill, and mid-11 minute miles the rest of the way. I‘m still horribly undertrained, but maybe I can actually finish this marathon and have good base to train from for Marine Corps in Oct. I’m still nervous about finishing, but I know I have at least one more 20 miler to get under my belt before race day.

Chris
    PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

CONGRATS on getting 20 in!!! Glad to hear your feeling great today!! You are going to ROCK your marathon!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I’m still nervous about finishing, but I know I have at least one more 20 miler to get under my belt before race day.
        It's 26.2 miles and a lot can happen, but it sounds like you're in a better place than you think. You handled your first twenty miler nicely. You'll finish because there's no quitting in marathoning, and raceday adrenaline will give you a nice boost. Keep up the good work Chris.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Hey, nice marmot!

Congrats on the 20! That's a big one. As to you finishing your May marathon, I'd like to offer my rather worthless, total nOOb opinion. I don't think you'll have a problem finishing. Sure, it'd be nice to see more easy weekday miles in your log, but know that many people finish marathons with much less of a base than you have. You also seem to be able to run long with a consistent pace. If you stick to your pace and don't allow the crowd to speed you up in the early miles (read: in the first 20 miles), I'm betting you'll finish strong. Either way though, I look forward to your race report.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

hmrunner

Congratulations! I just ran my first 20-mile run last weekend and I can totally relate to your post. I will also be running the Lincoln Marathon in May, my first marathon. It's good to know we're in it together!

Oh Mighty Wing

wwwoooohhhoooo Chris!!! That's awesome!!! You are doing great!!
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Chris, IIRC both of my 20s before Milwaukee went well...it was the 18 before that that stunk. Sounds like you are stronger and fitter than you thought. Race day is gonna be awesome and you are closing in on taper--woot! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Another Passion

Congratulations, Chris! That is an awesome accomplishment. Like BadDawg said, much can happen in 26.2 miles, but I would agree that you are in a very good place and, barring some bizarre bodily malfunction, I think that you will be just fine to finish your first marathon. Keep up the great work! You should be very proud of yourself!

Rick
                  "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                  "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                  runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Certifiably Insane

Great job, Chris! Even with all my miles and years, I think I've only done 20 miles once in my lifetime. You have my sincerest respect! Keep up that up, and you'll kick some serious butt in your marathons! Smile
                    On the road since 1978! "To be good is not enough when you dream of being great." I am not obsessed! I'm just INTENSE! "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool." Why? Because race results stay on Google forever! (Reasonably recent) PR's: 5K - 16:40 10K - 35:04 HM - 1:18:30