Elliptical vs. Incline walking (Read 244 times)

knbradley2822

About a week ago I developed a burning pain in the base of my knee during some mild speedwork on the treadmill (it appeared around the 2.5 mile mark). It doesn't hurt when I go about my normal day. I last ran on saturday, just an easy two miler to test out some new shoes and the pain came back around the 1 mile mark (although it wasn't nearly as bad as when it happened on the treaddmill). I've been icing it since then and taken ibuprofen a handful of times. I feel like the elliptical might aggravate it but my family is driving me crazy and I want to go to the gym! I guess a better question is whether or not to take the rest of the week off and then whether to introduce the elliptical or incline walking. And also what does running to the pain mean?

an amazing likeness

Have you considered heading out to your gym and giving the elliptical a go.  If it hurts, stop and walk on the treadmill. If it doesn't hurt yeah -- you got a workout.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

knbradley2822

Well, yeah, for now I'm just waiting for my babysitter aka husband to come take over! I'm so paranoid about injuries that I worry about setting myself back if I attempt and fail on the elliptical (which I know isn't the reality). And if incline walking hurts too then I'm out fuel and diesel is not cheap.

an amazing likeness

Well, yeah, for now I'm just waiting for my babysitter aka husband to come take over! I'm so paranoid about injuries that I worry about setting myself back if I attempt and fail on the elliptical (which I know isn't the reality). And if incline walking hurts too then I'm out fuel and diesel is not cheap.

Does your gym have a upper-body bike machine ?  If so, they offer a great cardio workout that doesn't use your legs...so if elliptical and treadmill don't work...you still get cardio.  I used one for months while leg damage healed and it was heck of a hard workout.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.